Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you going?
YES! 5 41.67%
wish I could, but not this year. 5 41.67%
maybe...? 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Ascenders assemble! At proline btf 2019!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ascenders assemble! At proline btf 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks for taking this on again Chris, But I would like a Weimaraner on mine. Jordon feels left out.

Ernie

Where's the GD like button.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
my party of 3 will be returning... i don't think any of us will be tapping Nate on the shoulder LOL have fun, Guide-on!

shirts?!?! just change colors (cant remember if we had the date on last years... i think so)
change font to something 80's/retro?
either way we need to get going!!! put me down for 3 shirts XXL, XL, and... smedium? Andrew is 11 and still a bean-pole so as small as we can for him, now that he is officially an Ascender owner. Rick is still... deciding on a rig. He got funding approved from headquarters so he's narrowing it down. he said something about an scx10 but then i tossed in the idea of portals from traxxas or redcat and it spiraled wildly out of control from there lol

wife has also been looking at possibly getting a trailer soon. camp ascender upgrade?! next year i might bring the whole shinchu clan! Mrs Shinchu was interested about the rumors she heard of some bottled red stuff... ;)
UPGRADE!!!!! Sweet. I need another income for such upgrades.

To be honest, Rick doesn't seem like the type that wants to fiddle with an rc car too much, I think he would rather drive it, therefore I would steer him away from an @#%*!, because we all know the buy replace everything method gets old and expensive. I'm not being a Traxxas fanboy, but Trx-4 IMO packs the most value per dollar, and fewer replacement parts are needed, and shocks that don't leak. I've done a ton of free modifications that yielded major COG improvements. Just my input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Ya, gradient shading in ink screen print can be hit or miss. I do have some appropriate fonts however...and we could do a couple of colors again.

I'll do up a couple of drafts, we can edit.
Any thoughts on getting an actual ascender shaped Crawler outline or silhouette of a crawler on rocks, maybe with cat and dog driving (Wiemer-whatever) :-)?

https://www.shirtsbysarah.com/produc...ading-shirts-1

or this:

https://www.spreadshirt.com/no+probl...442005?view=D3

just for example. Thank you Chris for dong this. I'm down for 3 shirts and don't mind if the cost goes up for your troubles. Thank you thank you thank you

Last edited by rockhugger; 04-23-2019 at 12:15 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #43
RCC Addict

There's quite a bit of clipart at istock.com for offroad...that's where I get all my clipart - where the graphic elements came from last year.
Feel free to browse there.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks for taking this on again Chris, But I would like a Weimaraner on mine. Jordon feels left out.

Ernie
Wow, I could'nt see the pic at work, but wow that looks great Ernie. I see the Weimaraner in the background and I'm looking for a good sketch of one as a driver of a K5 Blazer
Old 04-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I dig this body! Is it the stock trx4 body?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Its the Traxxas UDR body with cut fenders
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
There's quite a bit of clipart at istock.com for offroad...that's where I get all my clipart - where the graphic elements came from last year.
Feel free to browse there.

I searched and searched and googled, but couldn't find exactly what I had in mind, so I did a rough sketch on a regular sheet of paper. Can I send it to you to see if you'd be interested in using it or having me refine it? I drew it up at 11pm last night - I'm not even sure if anyone else is interested in this idea, but it was worth a try
Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

last years theme: cats
this years theme: dogs?

im fine with it. just the inside joke was ascender folks seemed to have cats that liked to hang out during builds.
although i currently don't have any dogs... long story short: i had 2 French bulldogs but had to re-home due to having a baby in the house. i hate that we had to do it (nearly threw up in my driveway when new owner drove away with them) but i cant put pets over my kiddos.
anyway... i still love dogs and seems fair to change it up from cats last year.

all in favor?

(just hope this doesn't get out of hand and we have penguins for PLBTF 2026... or... SHOULD WE???)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #48
RCC Addict

I couldn't draw the dogs and cats, I was only able to scratch out an articulating ascender Blazer. I made color and black and white copies of the sketch to maybe try my hand at adding the animals later so I don't ruin the original. I can't post pictures here from work, but it was just an idea to see what others thought and if there was any feedback.

No, Penguins were not part of the previous discussion lol

I had an idea to take the original cats, add in an articulating Vaterra Blazer, and add in Ernies idea of his Weimaraner both driving said articulating Blazer.

Last edited by rockhugger; 04-24-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I searched and searched and googled, but couldn't find exactly what I had in mind, so I did a rough sketch on a regular sheet of paper. Can I send it to you to see if you'd be interested in using it or having me refine it? I drew it up at 11pm last night - I'm not even sure if anyone else is interested in this idea, but it was worth a try

PM Sent.

For a shirt theme/graphic my recommendation would be to focus on crawlers and offroad, and/or the event, rather than pets. We have the 'retro' theme for the entire event from Proline, and we have some text elements that are universal to the Ascender enthusiasts, we just have to come up with what those are.

So, Ascenders Assemble, or something about Vaterra Ascender, PLBF 2019, and/or other text copy that you all think are relevant.

I'm just throwing some stuff up in Illustrator and see what it looks like. But I need input for copy/text - what it is you want the shirt to SAY.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I've searched Istockphoto.com a bit and wasn't coming up with much until I searched for illustrations

My favorite so far, side profile of a power wagon (maybe?) https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/g...598929-6732204

F series Monster-ish truck https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/m...6340-271038005

Cartoon-ie Pink truck https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/m...45396-25952094

Goofy jumping monster truck https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/s...08797-14893181

2 for 1 truck (?) and creature https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/m...10982-16315830

Some tire tracks https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/v...8126-265437827 many more to see here https://www.istockphoto.com/search/m...tion&sort=best

I hope this is the right site, I see not all of these are free.

50's chevy pickup https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/c...9394-274002791

For the Blue oval guys https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/c...63289-16455571

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I couldn't draw the dogs and cats, I was only able to scratch out an articulating ascender Blazer. I made color and black and white copies of the sketch to maybe try my hand at adding the animals later so I don't ruin the original. I can't post pictures here from work, but it was just an idea to see what others thought and if there was any feedback.

No, Penguins were not part of the previous discussion lol

I had an idea to take the original cats, add in an articulating Vaterra Blazer, and add in Ernies idea of his Weimaraner both driving said articulating Blazer.
Ya I'm not good at drawing animals either, difficult to draw proper 3d truck for me too. Like your sketch and the idea or the articulating Blazer, that retro offroad image looked good but need to swap the vehicle as you said. I like the cats, but maybe include a dog riding shotgun too, for Ernie?

Quote:
For a shirt theme/graphic my recommendation would be to focus on crawlers and offroad, and/or the event, rather than pets. We have the 'retro' theme for the entire event from Proline, and we have some text elements that are universal to the Ascender enthusiasts, we just have to come up with what those are.

So, Ascenders Assemble, or something about Vaterra Ascender, PLBF 2019, and/or other text copy that you all think are relevant.

I'm just throwing some stuff up in Illustrator and see what it looks like. But I need input for copy/text - what it is you want the shirt to SAY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Not bad.

Maybe ask Rich if we can use a Vaterra F100 picture or something?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #52
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
PM Sent.

I think you already have the right idea. The ‘Ascenders Assemble’ expression, that I believe Shinchu came up with, seems like the thing to throw on there. That and the event name. A picture in an Ascender would certainly look at home as well...just don’t forget the CODYBOY designs logo

...said the guy who isn’t even gonna be there
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #53
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Maybe ask Rich if we can use a Vaterra F100 picture or something?
Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Sounds good Smog! I just emailed Rich.

Last edited by Natedog; 04-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #55
RCC Addict

All good ideas.

I had tire-tracks on last year's layout and the didn't want it.
The old truck is cool, but I think something at least resembling a Vaterra Ascender makes sense. Perhaps Rich has some clipart drawings we can use.

In looking for 'vaterra ascender clipart' I found this, it's Cross but looks like what we need for Ascender:

Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #56
RCC Addict

This has some potential, but it's a Bronco.
In any case, this is the type of clipart/drawing/illustration that works for screen printing.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #57
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
This has some potential, but it's a Bronco.
In any case, this is the type of clipart/drawing/illustration that works for screen printing.

The Bronco
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Like, like and like lol!

Rich said that the only artwork they had was the K10 Ascender door panel with Vaterra Garage and the Twin Hammers in the center...hmmmm...
Thats's a pretty sweet Bronco.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Here's what I came up with so far, throwing some stuff up in Illustrator...

Hanes Tagless tee's in 100% cotton come in a ton of colors including purple, however I would not wear a purple or pink shirt...sorry - for a 62yo gnarly dude it just doesn't fit. LOL

But they have a 'cardinal red' and a 'maroon' which would both look good. My vote would be for MAROON. It's a dark burgundy red.

This is also what I was thinking of for clipart - this is a istock image we can buy and then modify to work for print - reverse out colors, knock the background out, etc. Same for the proline logo, get it reversed out to make it look right.
This could print with 2 colors - white and black.

Last edited by Browneye; 04-24-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Duuuuude.....LIKE, looks pretty good overall, red and cardinal are both great colors too! All we need then is a cat with a dog, Vaterra/Horizon Hobby logo, and Codyboy logos kinda like last year.

Ascenders assemble! At proline btf 2019! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASCENDERS ASSEMBLE! at PROLINE's by the fire! Shinchu Vaterra Ascender 18 12-12-2018 01:41 PM
Proline 2019 Chevy Silverado Z71 Trail Boss Clear Body durok Paint and Body 3 06-23-2018 12:09 AM
Do Ascenders come with sealed bearings Axial n00b Vaterra Ascender 6 02-08-2018 11:47 PM
How-To videos: Dis-assemble/Re-assemble scx10 shocks for newbies AX10wannabe Newbie General 0 10-07-2011 12:14 PM