Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: The Ascender Bronco has gone the way of the dodo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The Ascender Bronco has gone the way of the dodo

Looks like that recent holiday sale was intended to finally clear out all retail stock of the old Bronco, because Horizon now shows it as "This item is no longer available", and Amain shows "Discontinued Online". Sad to see it go, but it never seemed to be a big hit. I wanted one ever since it came out, but felt uncomfortable with the price. Other models got my attention and $$, as time went by, and even when it was reduced over this summer, I continued to overlook it, all up until this big sale came along.
Earlier this year, I had scored a clear Bronco body kit from an Amazon 3rd party seller for $68, the cheapest I'd seen them, so I was still reluctant to buy the RTR, but now I'm glad I did, seeing that this was the final draw. It sort of reminds me of how I had wanted an Axial AX10 Deadbolt, and wished that I'd gotten one before they disappeared. Didn't want a repeat of that experience.
I was planning on opening the new Bronco on Christmas morning, but now I'm contemplating preserving it in its original packaging. Of course, I've never been one to have keepsakes of that sort.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Ascender Bronco has gone the way of the dodo

Sad to see the Bronco go but excited about what new models we may see in the future.
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti.stealth View Post
Sad to see the Bronco go but excited about what new models we may see in the future.
Yep and I bought an RTR blue Bronco body this summer because I've always loved this body.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm hoping that the clear 68 Ford vaterra body will go on sale so I can get a few more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

RIP Ascender Bronco.

You were a great truck to drive though your short wheelbase was not for everyone.

May a new super short wheelbase truck carry on your legacy.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I really like it's short wheelbase, it's a great rig, as said some don't care for it but I like it.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

Glad I ended up buying one. The price was so good my wallet was practically screaming at me to be opened up. Given the direction things have been going I had a feeling the end might be coming for it. Now I need to score a clear body for it before they are all gone
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That completely sucks. If they don't come out with something other than a green suburban the whole kibosh is going dodo.

And zero for product announcements. Just zilch.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #9

Sad news. I believe that was Rich that swears the Ascender isn't dead, but it's hard to believe otherwise.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sad news. I believe that was Rich that swears the Ascender isn't dead, but it's hard to believe otherwise.
Maybe it was just that the Ford Bronco license expired, and since it wasn't a big seller, it wasn't profitable enough to renew the license. Just speculating. They did just release the Suburban, so that's a good sign. When you think about it, though, with the economy so seemingly fragile, and the scale market having been flooded over the past year, some models, if not entire model lines, are bound to get discontinued at some point.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

I noticed Horizon has a new website. Axial, Redcat, Vaterra, ECX and all are now on one website under a drop down menu. Seeing the whole Horizon lineup in one place is a bit eye opening. Still holding out the Ascender gets some much deserved attention once things settle over there.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

Amazon is still showing them in stock.
Ranch Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #13

A number of hobby shops still have them too. On ebay, I just ordered one from a shop in NJ that is currently including a 4000mah 2s Dynamite shorty battery to go with it for $330, and ebay has $15 off right now. They are still showing 10 left now. I've been following the forum on and off and made the decision to finally pick one up. Always liked the look, and that price with the battery was enough of a push. I have a 2wd Slash VXL and XL-5 Stampede 4x4, but this is my first capable off road RC. Looking forward to going on hikes with it.
DLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRC View Post
A number of hobby shops still have them too. On ebay, I just ordered one from a shop in NJ that is currently including a 4000mah 2s Dynamite shorty battery to go with it for $330, and ebay has $15 off right now. They are still showing 10 left now. I've been following the forum on and off and made the decision to finally pick one up. Always liked the look, and that price with the battery was enough of a push. I have a 2wd Slash VXL and XL-5 Stampede 4x4, but this is my first capable off road RC. Looking forward to going on hikes with it.
A very capable, scale 4x4 it is. Really cool that you chose the Bronco for hiking, especially with all the choices available. It's a unique model, and one that probably should've gotten more love.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Maybe it was just that the Ford Bronco license expired, and since it wasn't a big seller, it wasn't profitable enough to renew the license. Just speculating. They did just release the Suburban, so that's a good sign. When you think about it, though, with the economy so seemingly fragile, and the scale market having been flooded over the past year, some models, if not entire model lines, are bound to get discontinued at some point.
Yup the license is set to expire and the short wheelbase rigs just don't move. Do not expect a short wheelbase replacement. The good news is that if you really want a short wheelbase, you can adjust the Ascenders wheelbase

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #16
Sr. Product Developer

BTW We are almost out of Clear Bronco bodies VTR230047 . Since we still have sell off time for the remaining stock, there will not be anymore reductions...so if you're waiting for blow out prices, i wouldn't. There are even fewer of the painted bodies remaining VTR230046.

Figured i'd let any "collectors" or Bronco fans know.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
RCC Addict

This ebay seller near me has a few vaterra 'kits' for sale for sub-$200. Looks like a parts kit. I wonder how this came to be...
I'm tempted to pick one up...I'm sure they won't last long.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaterra-Asc...n-5m:rk:1:pf:0

NIB bronco stock body clear with decal set - $59 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vaterra-Bod...WWq:rk:27:pf:0

Last edited by Browneye; 12-31-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I’ve been eyeing those for a while. Just don’t have the money to spare. Vaterra should take notes and make these kits for sale.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I always have some mad money for a steal-deal or to fix something. Bought some stuff over the holidays to make upgrades, even a HH crawlmaster expert 27T - I'm going to try gearing down see how it does - got a 88t spur and some smaller pinions.

I really think I'm moving toward Axial. Just replace the junk parts with aftermarket - stuff is easy to get and cheaper. Pains me to say it.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #20
RCC Addict

My big thing is I’m done with the axles. So buying that “builders kit” doesn’t give me a complete powertrian I want. Love my new build with a*ial based axles.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Ascender Bronco has gone the way of the dodo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kincer's new to me Bronco Ascender kincer Vaterra Ascender 33 12-06-2018 04:32 PM
Carpetfuzz gets a Ascender Bronco carpetfuzz17 Vaterra Ascender 20 11-25-2018 10:12 PM
My Ascender Bronco RMNixon Vaterra Ascender 21 03-30-2017 11:25 AM
Ascender Bronco chassis Bbwolf 1.5 Scale Rigs 0 11-27-2015 02:06 PM