RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Driveshaft upgrade (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/606979-driveshaft-upgrade.html)

rag6 03-07-2019 10:05 PM

Driveshaft upgrade

Broke my blazers ft drive shaft. What exactly do I need to replace with a metal upgrade? I'm running a 35t brushed 3s setup.... Ty for any help the more research I do the more confused I get

Ascender'nMN84 03-07-2019 10:12 PM

Re: Driveshaft upgrade

If you go with MIP shafts, the kit for the Ascender comes with the proper inserts for the axle housings. If you go with another brand (junfac for an example) you'll need the aftermarket adapter inserts by either Vanquish or GCM.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SHOme 03-08-2019 07:01 AM

I highly recommend MIP. Excellent product with great customer service.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rag6 03-08-2019 09:42 AM

Thanks. Are the mips the cheaper option?

Browneye 03-08-2019 10:58 AM

The stocker works fine, but the pin can wear, the cup can crack. I have 3 ascenders, all on 3s power, one is a comp rig that gets hammered, have never broken a driveshaft. But, that one the pin got really worn and would have broken if I had not caught it. Posted in the 'what did you do to your ascender today' thread.
Upgrade is fine, or replace the stock parts - either option is works.

druz 03-11-2019 04:19 PM

While my only driveshaft oops was a sheared pin on the front driveshaft (that was easy to replace), I went the Junfac route and got a the GCM adapters... Very pleased with my choice... I have no experience with MIPS... That being said, from my research, MIP makes a good product as well... If you are budget conscious, you could probably get a replacement stock part and be happy... Just remember how the old one broke and try not to do that again... LOL

Good luck...

Natedog 03-11-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Browneye (Post 5916413)
The stocker works fine, but the pin can wear, the cup can crack. I have 3 ascenders, all on 3s power, one is a comp rig that gets hammered, have never broken a driveshaft. But, that one the pin got really worn and would have broken if I had not caught it. Posted in the 'what did you do to your ascender today' thread.
Upgrade is fine, or replace the stock parts - either option is works.

Agreed, run all mine on 3s and not broken Ascender pin yet, have replaced a few due to wear, but keeping em clean and just enough lube helps a lot!

MIP is quality, but Junfac is way more scale looking. "thumbsup"

M1tch 03-11-2019 05:45 PM

^ Yeah that. I have Junfac shafts on a lot of my trucks. 1 used Ascender I bought had the MIP shafts on, but I found the cv was so big it would hang up on rocks and roots, so swapped out for the Junfacs. Stock is ok, but mine were just worn out on the outside from rocks and stuff.

rag6 03-16-2019 04:46 PM

If I went the junfac route, what sizes for the front and rear would I need? I'd rather have a driveshaft that has less of a chance to get hung up. Thanks for all of your prospectives. I'm still considering staying stock, but would like all options. Thanks again for your help...

M1tch 03-16-2019 05:20 PM

Not sure of the exact size for the Blazer, but I usually buy the 107-142mm (J90033) as that seems to fit most stuff. The 82-117mm (J90031)might also work. If you can measure the length yourself would be best, or someone here may know the measurements anyway. They come in single sets although on their website pairs are available for particular models and one of those might be ok.

Also these shafts can't be cut down as the flat spot on the female shaft is only on the end.

Universal Shaft - JunFac

rag6 03-18-2019 03:10 PM

I'm more confused than when I started

Ascender'nMN84 03-18-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag6 (Post 5919879)

What's up?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

M1tch 03-18-2019 03:57 PM

Must have been me :oops:

Shinchu 03-20-2019 12:38 PM

if you decide to go with something else, Locked Up RC has these adapters...
Ascender Driveshaft Pinion Adapter

i just gone one and fit/finish is fantastic. best part is they are IN STOCK. nobody else has them available right now.

Natedog 03-21-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag6 (Post 5919879)

MIP are heavy duty, but rather large and definitely not scale at all. Kinda loose and floppy splines ime.

Junfac are much more scale, cheaper and everyone I know has used them without problems. D-shaped drive portion.

LockedUpRC sells DevilRC scale driveshafts in different lengths too. Nice splined drive portion.
Driveshafts

:)

rag6 03-23-2019 11:11 AM

Which shafts fit the Blazer. That is why I'm confused. Does anyone know which size I need. That's all I'm asking

I'm looking on eBay gpms say 97-120mm. Is that the front, back, or both? In the driveshaft link Nate posted, the only one that comes close is 85-117mm. Will that work? Is that the rear? The front? That's why I'm lost

rag6 03-25-2019 01:27 PM

I'd like to order. Could anyone who upgraded their driveshafts let me know which size shafts you bought?

mgputer 03-25-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag6 (Post 5922022)
I'd like to order. Could anyone who upgraded their driveshafts let me know which size shafts you bought?

These are what I use. They work really well and only $32.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaterra-Blaze...s%2C187&sr=8-2

Browneye 03-25-2019 09:26 PM

Those look nice. How do the internals compare?

rag6 03-25-2019 10:19 PM

Woohoo. Ty mgputer. That answers my question 8)