Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Slop in the drive line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Slop in the drive line

So one of my few qualms with the ascender is all the play in the drive line. Even with a great drag break setup their is almost an inch of movement in both directions because of play. Has anyone found any tricks on limiting this?
elirgraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Slop in the drive line

You might want to check over your drive line. My Ascender has nowhere near that amount of slop. (The 2 speed has the usual amount, but the single speed is very precise.) Definitely check the set screws on the drive shafts, they have a way of working loose.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just posted about this in the 'what did you do...' thread - check those cross pins in your CV joints, both ends.
Next is the spools, but I'm not sure there's a tighter option from Lockedup or the like - would have to research that.

But my guess if you're just noticing this it's wear in those pins - I had one almost worn through, would have broken if I hadn't caught it. And they were getting really sloppy.

Instead of buying the whole drivelines or some such from horizon these ARRMA pins work:

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

I think it is mostly those pins.
elirgraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I was just doing some searching and research on those pins, and frankly I think that 1/16 X 1/2" pins would work. Hardened alloy would be the ticket, and if they were a shade long could be ground down to fit flush with the flange of the cup.
I may try to source some - McMaster-Carr has them, 50 are about $10, but they charge a lot of shipping and I really don't need 50 of them. LOL
Anyway, a local industrial supply may even have them in a bin by the each - I will check my local supplier next time I'm in there.

Just a FYI.
In any case, the ARRMA pins do work - I've replaced the ones in my trans output shafts but have not disassembled the diffs yet - I may do that this weekend on my two most-used rigs.
And be sure to blue-locktite those grub-screws as they are famous for backing out and falling out and your driveshaft falls off or quits turning.

I also looked up the Vaterra parts and yeah, you have to buy the whole cup output assembly and they're about $10 each or so. That's spendy for a pin, but then you get new pivot pin and cup too.

I think piano wire would work too - we're looking for .067" diameter.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Slop in the drive line - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive line help mta General Crawlers 10 03-21-2017 10:01 AM
Help with drive line BWhittier1 Axial SCX10 II 12 01-06-2017 05:36 AM
how to fix drive train slop?- help Cationmoted Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 07-16-2009 08:03 PM
drive line help!! minicracker Tamiya CR-01 9 12-05-2008 10:22 PM
anyone tried this drive line for anything?? STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-29-2006 09:21 AM