RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Low voltage cutoff or monitor (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/607436-low-voltage-cutoff-monitor.html)

cowboyona426 03-25-2019 02:50 PM

Low voltage cutoff or monitor

Anyone running a low voltage monitor or cutoff device? To my knowledge the stock ESC in the Ascender does not have a low voltage cutoff. My 5 year old loves driving the thing and I worry about him driving it when I'm not home and drawing the battery down too far and damaging it. An audible alarm when it's time to turn the truck off would be a major bonus for me... any input or suggestions?

Szczerba 03-25-2019 02:55 PM

Re: Low voltage cutoff or monitor

ebay or amazon "lipo low voltage alarm". Hundreds of choices. Check out the Common Sense RC brand.

mgputer 03-25-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyona426 (Post 5922045)
Anyone running a low voltage monitor or cutoff device? To my knowledge the stock ESC in the Ascender does not have a low voltage cutoff. My 5 year old loves driving the thing and I worry about him driving it when I'm not home and drawing the battery down too far and damaging it. An audible alarm when it's time to turn the truck off would be a major bonus for me... any input or suggestions?

The stock ESC should have a lipo cut off. You set the ESC up by changing the jumpers. It says left with the jumper is lipo and right is NImh.

cowboyona426 03-25-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgputer (Post 5922051)
The stock ESC should have a lipo cut off. You set the ESC up by changing the jumpers. It says left with the jumper is lipo and right is NImh.

After re-reading the manual maybe it does, but it's a little unclear to me. Language from the manual:

Quote:

Stop driving the vehicle when you notice a lack of power. Driving the vehicle when the battery is discharged can cause the receiver to power off. If the receiver loses power, you will lose control of the vehicle. Damage due to an over-discharged Li-Po battery is not covered under warranty.

mgputer 03-25-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboyona426 (Post 5922059)
After re-reading the manual maybe it does, but it's a little unclear to me. Language from the manual:

[/FONT]

Yes it is a little hard to understand. What it should say is it has a power reduction at low voltage built in so when it's low it runs slow for a little so you can drive the vehicle back to you. It will then shut itself off. If you let it sit it will power back on and it will work for a couple seconds then stop. Continuing this cycle though can run the voltage to low, which can ruin the battery.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

cowboyona426 03-25-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgputer (Post 5922071)
Yes it is a little hard to understand. What it should say is it has a power reduction at low voltage built in so when it's low it runs slow for a little so you can drive the vehicle back to you. It will then shut itself off. If you let it sit it will power back on and it will work for a couple seconds then stop. Continuing this cycle though can run the voltage to low, which can ruin the battery.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll still add something with an audible alarm, that will get the attention of the 5 year old much better than the truck slowing down. I actually found a local company that manufactures/sells one, I may just stop by and grab one on my way home.

cowboyona426 03-26-2019 09:38 AM

While I was looking around yesterday I found out that there is a local business that sells/manufactures various RC bits, so I called them and made an order over the phone and picked it up on my way home. From what I can tell it's the same gizmo as the ones you can find on Ebay, Amazon, etc but it's housed in a nice little plastic cover and it wasn't expensive at all.

https://www.atomikrc.com/products/bi...lipo-batteries

The audible alarm is plenty loud. I'm going to buy a balance lead extension and mount the monitor somewhere on the truck so my wife and/or son can just plug it in when I'm not around. I don't trust either of them to get the balance lead plugged in the correct way to the alarm every time :ror:, the extension will make it a no brainer 8)

M1tch 03-26-2019 12:58 PM

looks neat. I have a lvc but used it once as it kept triggering the alarm and drove me mad.