Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

So I've chimed in on various threads about the project I have in the works. I'm gonna build one soon blah blah blah. Well yesterday my VP VVD's showed up at work and I couldn't take it anymore. This thing needs to start coming to life. Still gotta order a few more things (electronics, beadlocks and tires, might change my knuckles to silver and not gunmetal but that's for later) but I figure I had enough to get a good start.

With the parts bin emptied I got to work. Standard Ascender transmission build so I didn't pause for pics. You guys know the drill though. No hangups there. MIP kit fit no problems so next came the front axle. This is where we began to deviate from stock. CODYBOY axles dressed in SSD chubs and knuckles with Vanquish Products VVD'S inside. Whole truck is getting Fast Eddy's bearings all the way around.

This morning I got the rear axle mostly assembled. Minus it also being a CODYBOY axle to match the front, it's bone stock in the rear. Thought I had ordered a diff cover for the rear also but apparently I didn't. Add it to the "to-buy" list I guess. For some reason I couldn't get the axle shafts to slide into place so when I get home tonight I'll rip the rear cover off and see what's going on.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks for taking a look and I'll update as I go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II

Rear axle problem solved. Just me over greasing in the morning and not allowing the bearings to seat properly.

Ernie if you're reading this, these things are gorgeous. Thank you for all that you do for this hobby. Definitely going to need a CODYBOY steering set for my original Ascender soon.

Frame is mostly assembled and the transmission mounted but I need to mount my SSD sliders. Might try to make a late run to the LHS to see if they have the metal Ascender shocks.

All for now. More to come.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So I've been kicking around the idea of a truggy. Pretty much had it in my head I was gonna go extended cab body with exposed cage. Then Natedog and I had a little back and forth discussing the option of running a single cab on a WB4 ascender with the cage. So I went to my LHS today to pick up a second cage to use the piece that attaches to the cab as a secondary hoop to fill the void of where the cage sat and where the body would end up. And then this happened....

Now obviously this is just my very first ROUGH mock-up. I need a set of Ascender links and spacers, but all said and done I should end up with 6-8 spacers that simulate a roll cage and now I'll have a frame to start an interior. There's more work ahead but Nate suggested I let the cat out of the bag.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I need to kick the front hoop forward a bit but the angled pieces that would hold the smaller pieces of aluminum should work nice as pillar tubes.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very interesting concept. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looking at the profile shot... could you mount the front hoop at an angle to follow the pillar angle down, then heat and bend the lower half to go straight down to the floor at the hood line?
rag6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
Looking at the profile shot... could you mount the front hoop at an angle to follow the pillar angle down, then heat and bend the lower half to go straight down to the floor at the hood line?
Yes and no. The problem with that idea would be the piece that follows the windshield would have all the mounting holes facing down towards the "seats". By leaving it vertical I can attach the 2 pieces really easily. Still not off the table. Thanks for the input!

Old 03-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

So I made a quick run to the LHS before work today (ugh...). Luckily they opened 45 minutes before I needed to be to my store to open up. Grabbed a 66mm link set and spacers with some assorted hardware real quick and headed to work.

Heated and bent the tabs at the top to fit the windshield line.

Now that I'm mostly satisfied with how the cage attaches and sits I can move on to the interior. Floor first..

All for now. Gotta sling a little surplus since I'm on the clock...

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascender'nMN84 View Post
Your axle with the SSD diff cover on it is assembled upside down, was this just test fit or? The thicker part of the diff cover should be at the bottom to slider over rocks and resist wear better.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Your axle with the SSD diff cover on it is assembled upside down, was this just test fit or? The thicker part of the diff cover should be at the bottom to slider over rocks and resist wear better.
I was wondering how long it'd take someone to notice that. I corrected it shortly after I snapped and posted. Just too excited too late at night after work. Good call. First time I've ever put it together backwards and I put the pic on internet....

Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Shweet, ok just checking, been there done that type of post.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I appreciate it. Rear body post attachment is 90% worked out. I need some epoxy for plastics and it'll be buttoned up. Then 5 pokes in the body, 3 holes drilled in the front hoop and the cage can live in the body. Today will be spent working on the interior. I wasn't happy with my initial panels I made yesterday. Good thing it's slow at the store today!

Old 03-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

And for the record, the body came out of the box, trimmed and holes punched. Initially I didn't mind but with this caged interior I'm not using the K5 body posts. Now I have 2 awkward holes in my roof I'll have to figure out what to do with. Lights of some sort? Add it to the drawing board I guess..

Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Decals!!!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #15

Your body came with holes in it? Mine did not. It came with etching where the body holes were supposed to be drilled and they were way off.

Is Vaterra putting holes in the bodies now? I hope not!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Your body came with holes in it? Mine did not. It came with etching where the body holes were supposed to be drilled and they were way off.

Is Vaterra putting holes in the bodies now? I hope not!
My first kit I built was an uncut shell but this one, with a solid Vaterra seal sticker in place, came cut and holes punched. I was kinda surprised.

Last edited by Ascender'nMN84; 03-13-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

HOw's the HH Trailmaster 550 fitting in with the battery tray? That should be a great motor, especially on 3S.
TrailMaster Sport 550 - TrailMaster Series - Brushed Motors - Motors
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm pretty sure it's the 540 27t TrailMaster. I left town this morning and was NOT allowed to bring the project truck on family vacation so I can't confirm until Thursday evening.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

So even though I'm out of town sans tiny truck, I figure I'd update with where the truck stands now. To get the spacing I needed for the cage to fit inside the body proper, the factory posts and holes wouldn't work. I needed it higher and further back so I cut up a spare HD driveshaft I had on hand and drilled it out to fit the body post. The plan is to Krazy Glue or epoxy the body post to the driveshaft and the drive shafts to the factory posts.

They'll need to be trimmed to avoid dragging.

Then to get the posts to attach to the frame I drilled out some extra rod ends and used the cup end screws leftover from the links. This way I have adjustability front, back, left and right if need be.

All for now. More Thursday night hopefully.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Cool, E6000 is amazing stuff and what I would glue the post setup together with!

Ascender'nMN builds WB4 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 new builds Roxzoff Racing General Scale Talk 2 09-07-2016 09:21 AM
2 1/6 builds blwn71 Large Scale Rigs 2 10-24-2013 05:54 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM
K2-3L builds? 701 Technique Newbie General 4 05-18-2008 09:47 AM
Best Builds! kwanna03 General Crawlers 28 07-08-2007 02:21 PM