Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: best axle action-plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Default best axle action-plan

When I searched, I was not finding a whole lot on the subject . So, I figured I would ask you guys with way more experience & time w/these Ascender scale rc crawlers from Vaterra, re: the housing & wear ; what's the prefered or most popular option for when the stock housings wear?

On the subject, what is acceptable for you guys with years of usage on your Ascenders?

Did you just re-purchase the Vaterra housing repalcement (vtr232074 for back) or just pull-up your wallet & go directly to steel /aluminum housings? I know many of the long-timers have Codyboy made housings.

I ask because I am approximately 6 months into ownership and use. This is where the pinion flange on my housing is ...
...and it aint getting more built-up, if the rocks have their ongoing way with them,either.
If that is a half-year, is my next move to just keep running them & quit being a whiner, or follow my inclinations which is getting some driveshafts and housings ( forkin-out the $ for the Currie's from Vanquish and MIP shafts and VP adapters...jeezuz that is gonna be another few hundred...)

These sure get worn the heck out fast.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: best axle action-plan

Shocks can be replaced with stock plastic, Vaterra aluminum, or any shocks of proper length and travel. STRC makes nice aluminum shock bodies etc. TRX4 shocks are very nice too.

Leave the axle housings alone until the bearings become loose and wobbly. New set of stock plastic housings are inexpensive and Avid RC rubber seals bearings are $1 each.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Dang, Jeffery! You're just beating the livng snot outta that rig... very cool.

You should have libordemise take a look at it. I hear he's a wizard when it comes to axles and gears.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Dang, Jeffery! You're just beating the livng snot outta that rig... very cool.

You should have libordemise take a look at it. I hear he's a wizard when it comes to axles and gears.
LMAO

I didn't see that joke comin', Anthony; you made hot as heck , morning coffee get backblasted out my nose, dude.

Yeah, much to my wife& kids chagrin, I've installed about 350lbs of Tennessee limestone & granite chunks + a dozen bricks in a nice little indoor crawling hill ,down in the basement playroom den. I can "take 5", grab my lil crawler ,go for fast challenge & hopefully incite the same Zen like calm I iget from wheeling my full-scale rig on challenging terrain but in mini version of it ....& anytime I want!

I think it's actually teaching me subtlety or deftness of wheel placement+ a better understanding of rocksport finesse, while just having fun. ,I'm interested in seeing if it carries over into 1:1 scale world.
So ,yeah, the Ascender WB2 is seeing some regular use!

I'm glad to hear @Natedog tell me to run it till gasket is loose; I RTV 5min gasketed it 2 weeks ago & it held.
Nate, what about those metal gaurded,shielded bearings at the appropriate size from Fast Eddy Bearings? I ordered a bag of those for like $10-15 bucks . Those ok?
Thanks guys. I am taking the scale rig to my GATR ride at Hale Mountain ORV this weekend. I'll upload pix.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-22-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Shocks can be replaced with stock plastic, Vaterra aluminum, or any shocks of proper length and travel. STRC makes nice aluminum shock bodies etc. TRX4 shocks are very nice too.

Leave the axle housings alone until the bearings become loose and wobbly. New set of stock plastic housings are inexpensive and Avid RC rubber seals bearings are $1 each.
Thanks for info, @Natedog
Shocks should be ok but advise appreciated.

You recommend stock driveshaft replace or the VP adapters and MIP driveshafts as tougher replacement? I think I saw some new SuperShafty for the K10 truggy I saw.

I was hoping you'd tell me only Currie housings would be suited for my wear,lol.
At least my spouse won't leave me for buying them, now...heh
Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I have Currie axles on my 1st Ascender. Although heavier which helps with keeping the CG low, they 'stick' more on rocks, while plastic seems to be more slippery. Also the gouges on the bottom of the Curries can look a bit scary.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've not worn out or broken any Vaterra HD driveshafts. If you use adapters at the axle/pinion, I'd go for some scale looking driveshafts, otherwise save your money.

M1tch is spot on about aluminum axle housings.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #8

10-4 on the housings galling a lot. I am familiar with aluminum skidplates and such. .

I am not seeing a bunch of info on the ones I have coming:

should be OK, I guess I will find out. I have the new Vaterra driveshaft cups to replace but I would rather not have to do that every year so got those hoping they are going to handle the rock-wear a bit better.

best axle action-plan - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone plan on using VP's NEW V2 aluminum axle? ussprinceton2004 Axial RR10 Bomber 11 12-17-2015 09:53 PM
3d plan coolix General Scale Talk 7 02-26-2012 03:16 PM
new plan icestang Electronics 2 01-27-2010 04:12 PM
plan on getting a wk hpidude Newbie General 15 07-09-2007 09:08 PM
I got a plan.... ScaleCrawlersINC Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 06-10-2005 04:07 PM