Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Questions about Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Questions about Suburban

I just purchased the 72 Suburban from Vaterra. I ordered some new wheels and tires. I was looking at other upgrade parts but cant find anything for the suburban. They all say for the K-5 Blazer.

I have a few different questions though.

1. I have seen a post on here that the Vaterra line doesnt really need any upgrades unless it is the Suburban. - Any insight here what that post meant?

2. Is there a difference in the Ascender or Ascender-S?

3. Will parts from the Blazer fit on the Suburban?

4. What upgrades would be recommended for the Suburban?

5. What does Twin Hammer mean? When I look online for Ascender parts, I see results for Twin Hammer. Are they an upgraded parts? Something that will interchange?

Im still waiting for the Truck to arrive, but trying to get a little more insight before it gets here. Thank you for all the info
jfrye2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Questions about Suburban

Ok I'll try to cover everything here. The Suburban was the WB4 replacement for the K5 Blazer. Anything listed for the K5 will work. The post you mentioned refers to the fact the suburban was the first Ascender released with plastic transmission gears and plastic links. This was done as a cost-cutting measure to keep the line competitive in sales.

As far as upgrades go, you'll want to replace the stock servo, you'll want to replace the transmission gears with the metal version but when doing so, you'll need to purchase the V2 transmission output shaft at the same time. Make sure it is the V2 so it can accept the thru-pin style driveshafts vs the grub screw setup. Next I'd get some one piece links for it. I'm personally a fan of Intheworks RC links. Offered in 2 different materials and a variety of packages from just lowers to complete sets. Great guy and quality products. He has a website and Facebook page. I'd also look at gerring some SSD c-hubs and weighted steering knuckles. They're getting harder to find but did amazing things for my Blazer.

Lastly about the Twin Hammers, it's a different truck in the Vaterra line but shares the same transmission with the Ascender. They make it as a 2-speed truck and you can throw the 2-speed option in the Ascender, but honestly it's not worth the headache when brushless setups are getting better and cheaper all the time.

Welcome to this crazy group! This is BY FAR the best place to come for information on these rigs. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful guys here vs other places...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Thank you for all the information. As far as upgrading the servo and transmission gears, where would you all recommend to get those?

I was looking into the aluminum hubs, but wasnt sure yet if they would even fit.

I also saw something from (I think) Natedogg, about modifying the shocks. Is that something that is recommended on the Suburban also, or is that only on the K-5? Or just replace the shocks with something else.

Also, what about axles, or diff covers? Any need to upgrade?

Last edited by jfrye2007; 08-17-2019 at 08:28 PM.
jfrye2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Happy to help! I recommend RPP and amain with RPP taking the edge due to their speedy shipping. Servo is kind of personal preference but, but I've been happy with the Savox 1230sg but it is NOT waterproof out of the package. I conformal coat the board and marine grease the inside.

I treat Natedog's thread as my Ascender bible. He's forgotten more about these trucks than most people will ever know. Internally limiting them is what he does as well as modifying the dampener inside to allow the oil to flow a bit better. The C (or E) clip that holds it in place on the shaft will end up covering one of the openings. CODYBOY is another that was a HUGE help to me when I was getting started.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Ascender'nMN84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to RCC, great information posted by Ryan, thanks! I like internal limiting all four shocks by 9mm, the newer shocks should have smaller OD E-clips that don’t cover shocks piston holes like they used to. Remember to buy CCBEC to power your upgraded servo, I’ve never been satisfied without it unless maybe running large Castle esc too. Back off spring preload to lower ride height. Looking forward to pictures and your build/modifications thread!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Questions about Suburban - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suburban dkchance74 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 07-01-2016 04:54 PM
greenjk's 83 Suburban greenjk 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 12 09-16-2014 05:17 AM
suburban atc Paint and Body 2 12-16-2011 11:54 AM
My suburban 87burb 1.9 Scale Rigs 30 06-21-2010 12:53 PM