Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun

I just got a new Ascender to use for my crawling and trailing this year. Wanted something I can get easily at the hobby shop I help out at and one that has been out long enough to most of the bugs worked out of it. I really like the 2s lipo shorty pack setup in the truck. I have plenty of them from racing 2wd buggy so that works out perfect for me.

So far I have a Bronco version Bind and Run. Going to take that system out and run a different radio system and electronics change.

At this time I have the following to put on the truck.

Proline Hyrax 1.9 XL Tires
Proline Pro Forge Impule Bronze Rims
Proline 1.9 Dual stage Foam (on back order)
Proline brass rotor weights (on back order)
Proline Power Stroke Scaler Shocks
SSD Rear axle weights
SSD Titanium Steer link kit
MIP X Duty C Drive Kit
Savox 1283 Servo
Castle Creations Micro X Esc
Castle Creations 2280kv and 2850kv Slate Carwling Motors to try.
STRC Esc plate

Would like to get in the near future the following

Vanquish VVD front Axle Kit
Vanquish Rear Axle Shafts

I think I have enough right now to have a really fun and reliable crawler overall. I'm not very hard on equipment in general not that guy that just spins the wheels and grinds to get the truck over something so I seldom break anything. Will get a few pics of what I have and more as I install some of it. Most of everything I have will be bolt on hop ups so if your looking for a total custom type setup this might be the thread to check out. I do the crawling just for fun only and no comps in my future as I ran off road when I want to compete.

Thanks for stopping in.

Brian

Last edited by wyd; 02-09-2018 at 09:37 AM.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun

It's a fun rig for sure!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

It's a fun rig for sure!
I'll second that, the short wheelbase is sooooo much fun
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
wyd
Rock Crawler

Well today was the first I really got a chance to dig into my new Ascender. I already found out my Power Stroke shocks I got where too small so I ordered the ones from Horizon for the Ascender and installed those tonight. Went on with no issues and they look great.

I have the Savox 1283 servo installed and SSD Titanium steering link setup (which the one from the servo to the steering knuckle was way too long so I shortened it and installed the long one that runs across the front without a hitch.

Next up which I thought was going to be a real pain in the ass was the new MIP drive shaft setups coming off the transmission. To my surprise it went much better than expected and wasn't as hard as I told myself when I was starting that part of the project. I just took my time and actually they fit perfectly with zero hangups. Just pay attention to the little bit of directions MIP gives you and you will be ok. Those drive shafts are absolute beasts so I highly doubt they will ever give a problem unless I run like 8S or 10S lipo.

I did add my new SSD rear weights that bolt neatly onto the rear axle. Easy to install but make sure you have the screw holes lined up perfectly as the weights are threaded and even if you are not lined up right will screw right into your plastic axles so make sure you align them correctly and then screw them in. They look great.

I don't have my new inserts for my tires yet but I talked with Natedog from here on RC Crawler and he was nice enough to give me some ideas so I need to wait for my new Proline molded foams to arrive early this week. I did still put one of my Hyrax tires on my new bronze aluminum Proline rims and wow will they be nothing but bad ass looking on my Ascender and no doubt will work just as good as they look. Can't wait to get them all on.

Last thing for the day is I added my new receiver into my Ascender. I bought a new Sanwa MX-V to use instead of using my good Sanwa MT-44 which I keep for racing because sooner or later I will be trailing and fall down so I don't want to bust up my expensive radio and besides the MX-V has all I need for what I will be doing my Ascender. I will get a few pics here soon. Would have some but that 3rd party crap from Photobucket screwed me up a little.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Imgur seems to be the place to host pics these days:

www.imgur.com
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
Imgur seems to be the place to host pics these days:

www.imgur.com
Thanks. I surely will check that out. Appreciate the info.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
wyd
Rock Crawler

Pic of my Ascender with the one new Hyrax tire on and the rest stock. Also have th enew Savox 1283 Servo installed. The other picture is my new Proline aluminum rims in Bronze with the new Hyrax on just for show. Soon as I get my new inserts I will put them in my tires and get them mounted up all the way and start running them.

I did order some STRC aluminum from steering knuckles, caster blocks and the differential covers. Those will be in sometime this week and I will get those installed. Always use the products from STRC when I can as I been using Steve's stuff for years and never have any problems so I continue to use there products when I can.

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite...&delivery=view
https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite...&delivery=view

Last edited by wyd; 02-26-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

pics didn't work... for me, anyway. I'm on a win 10 machine it gave me a javascript error. just use imgbb or tinypic, it takes seconds. just make sure they are 640x480 IAW forum rules.

truck sounds wicked though!!! cant wait to see it!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #9

Congrats! Awesome truck!

Definitely post photos. Your links above didn't work for me.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
wyd
Rock Crawler

I will work on the link guys. Sorry about that. Funny they pull up for me but must because it my computer. I will work in getting them up another way.

Last edited by wyd; 02-26-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to pictures of your sweet new wheels and tires. Pics not working for me either, got this:

Bad Request
SVL-0002 Categories=ERROR Message='Missing cookie: open-xchange-public-session-ygj48qqGWbm37yprLMJrA. Please re-login.' exceptionID=-1982530211-4772864
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
wyd
Rock Crawler

Today I had some more time to work on my Ascender so I put the time to good use and installed my Castle Creations Micro X esc and a new Castle Creations 2250kv sensored crawler motor. Once I got this done I also hooked up my new inexpensive Sanwa MV-X radio along with the Esc settings via the camber link. This all went smoothly without any issues. Been sponsored by Castle Creations for well over 10 plus years now so setting up there ESC's for me are a breeze. Now that everything is hooked up I got to drive my Ascender around a little to get the steering trim setup along with the dual rates for everything. Everything working perfectly and overall I think the 2250kv motor on 2S lipo works great. Not super fast but enough to get some wheel speed but not too out of control to tear up stuff so I think its a perfect combo.

If things work out get my tire inserts so I can sit and build them while I work at the hobby shop Wed night. After Wed my working on my Ascender comes to a stop as I work Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun at The Home Builders Show I work at for my job. Still working on posting pics since Photobucket is now charging to host 3rd pics. so need to work out getting some pics out.

One last thing is my new Ascender shocks from Horizon are leaking oil in 2 of the 4 and I didn't even really use them yet so that kinda irritates me a little bit for what they cost. Looks like I need to tear tear them down and go over them because the factory surely didn't build them right. Even the stock plastic shock didn't leak so don't expect to pay 60 bucks to have my shocks leak.

Last edited by wyd; 02-28-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the updates, sorry to hear about leaking problems, please contact Horizon Hobbies, link below.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/content...der-contact-us

1. Horizon Hobby supports the following radio control brands:

Blade, Dynamite, E-flite, Evolution Engines, ECX, Force RC, Hangar 9, HobbyZone, Losi, Team Orion,
ParkZone, Phoenix Simulator, Pro Boat, Saito Engines, Spektrum, Team Losi Racing, Revolution, Vaterra, Zenoah
Call: 877-504-0233
Monday - Friday: 8 A.M. - 6 P.M. CST
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Online Inquiry Form
Visit Product Support Inquiry Form
Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

and for pics just go to tinypic or imgbb

seriously just click, click, copy/paste. its that easy.

don't put up huge pics though! 640x480 is fine.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #15

The Vaterra aluminum shocks are the worst "upgrade" I've ever purchased for my Ascender and honestly one of my biggest purchase regrets in RC. They're overpriced and too long for the Ascender without adding inner limiters.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Vaterra aluminum shocks are the worst "upgrade" I've ever purchased for my Ascender and honestly one of my biggest purchase regrets in RC. They're overpriced and too long for the Ascender without adding inner limiters.
Good thing I work at a hobby shop so price wasn't too bad. I can easily add limiters. How much are you guys limiting them? If I can stop the leaking then I'm ok with the size. Since I don't compete with it if it sits a little high that's but I have no problems lowering it some. Haven't been on the Ascender forum enough to read thru a lot of the threads but I work a Builders Show for the next 4 days and will have LOTS OF TIME to do so.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #17
wyd
Rock Crawler

Last edited by wyd; 03-01-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Good thing I work at a hobby shop so price wasn't too bad. I can easily add limiters. How much are you guys limiting them? If I can stop the leaking then I'm ok with the size. Since I don't compete with it if it sits a little high that's but I have no problems lowering it some. Haven't been on the Ascender forum enough to read thru a lot of the threads but I work a Builders Show for the next 4 days and will have LOTS OF TIME to do so.
I need to get out to Bumps at some point. I don't live too far away.

Natedog is the Ascender expert. He can tell you how much to limit them. I don't think I bothered to open and limit mine yet. I forget at this point since my Ascender has sat idle for the winter.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Limited my Blazer shocks internally 9mm (3/8").

K10 is internally limited 6mm. Limiters I used AE and Team Losi race buggy shock limit spacers. I run stock rubber external compression bumpstops in place 30wt oil and they both crawl great!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Limited my Blazer shocks internally 9mm (3/8").

K10 is internally limited 6mm. Limiters I used AE and Team Losi race buggy shock limit spacers. I run stock rubber external compression bumpstops in place 30wt oil and they both crawl great!
Thanks. When I tear the shocks apart and put in new o rings I will limit the travel. Do you run the stock springs with the Vaterra Shocks?

Went with the Ascender for my crawling fun - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawling fun Sandpro08 Competitions 0 01-08-2016 11:02 PM
JK and YJ Crawling Fun Rockman84 Scale Videos! 5 02-21-2013 12:08 AM
Crawling, mudding and fun freakos Videos! 2 03-31-2008 10:31 AM
Fun Day of Crawling jdmstuff General Crawlers 4 03-21-2008 07:32 AM
crawling fun mtrucker Chit Chat 8 06-06-2006 04:12 PM