Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: AScender portal axle conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default AScender portal axle conversion

HAs anybody done it.. what brand.. and was it worth it?

I see cheap KYX aluminum chinese axles.. not sure is it a true chinesium.. or do they work..no reviews....
ChILd_ReBoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AScender portal axle conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChILd_ReBoRn View Post
HAs anybody done it.. what brand.. and was it worth it?

I see cheap KYX aluminum chinese axles.. not sure is it a true chinesium.. or do they work..no reviews....
i have not seen it done, but it is possible. i have a center i designed that can work with ar60 chubs. in turn that means HAP portals can work with it. my center section is not scale looking though. i caught some flak for it so i didnt list it.

the only issue with doing this though is the axle tang. you would have to either add material by welding, or silver soldering. then you would have to re grind a square tang.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've been basically begging for portal conversions for the Ascender housings for years now. Noone is listening
Other than Codyboy that is. Not exactly mass produced, but he does make it happen.

At this point I'd settle for a way to slap the entire TRX4 portal onto the Ascender housings.

The added gear reduction should do wonders for the torque twist.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I've been basically begging for portal conversions for the Ascender housings for years now. Noone is listening
Other than Codyboy that is. Not exactly mass produced, but he does make it happen.

At this point I'd settle for a way to slap the entire TRX4 portal onto the Ascender housings.

The added gear reduction should do wonders for the torque twist.
Ok guys, I would be willing to R&D a little to see how hard it would be to marry SSD portals to ascender axles. ( 1.4:1 reduction) The reason I didn't offer the TRX4/ascender axles is because it took so much time machining the parts that no one would willing to pay for my time to do it. So I guess what I'm saying is they wouldn't be $100 axles. Usually when I build something as this, I'm doing it for my own wants. I already have 3 portal base trucks and don't need another! Soooooooooooooo "what say you"???? Give me a little input.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm just jealous that you have the skills and machines to make these dreams a reality. I've got minor fab skills and a vice and dremel, but that puts me way off from making my own portal adapters.

The SSD portals are plenty nice, but in my fantasy land I would like even more gear reduction. Certainly don't let me dissuade your genius experiments.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:29 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ok guys, I would be willing to R&D a little to see how hard it would be to marry SSD portals to ascender axles. ( 1.4:1 reduction) The reason I didn't offer the TRX4/ascender axles is because it took so much time machining the parts that no one would willing to pay for my time to do it. So I guess what I'm saying is they wouldn't be $100 axles. Usually when I build something as this, I'm doing it for my own wants. I already have 3 portal base trucks and don't need another! Soooooooooooooo "what say you"???? Give me a little input.
Ernie

I'm for one not for basic manufacture. It's simply to expensive for me, and too time consuming for you. Added the over sea shipping.. it's just simpler to buy a set of trx4 axles and slap them on. But since I've spent 100€ for 2 C hubs and 2 brass knuckles yesterday,,, no way I'm venturing into any portal conversions, because I can do squat with C hubs and knuckles then....
ChILd_ReBoRn is offline   Reply With Quote

AScender portal axle conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New portal axle Stangman66$ Axial SCX10 II 10 06-11-2019 12:27 AM
Traxxas TRX4 Defender & Vaterra Ascender K10 Portal Axles! Volgan Scale Videos! 1 04-07-2018 06:38 PM
Ascender 5mm Diff Input Shaft Conversion Generis Vaterra Ascender 17 01-22-2016 08:44 PM
My ascender truggy conversion silvercrxsir Vaterra Ascender 9 06-18-2015 09:56 AM