RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Ascender (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/)
-   -   Ascender F100 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/614568-ascender-f100.html)

garage-boo 01-08-2020 04:39 PM

Ascender F100

2 Attachment(s)
If you would have told me that i would find a more capable and fun to drive rig after I got my trx-4 sport all upgraded and tuned i would have said baloney. The only negative and it is slight is the skid plate gets hung up a little due to the stance. I’ve done the trullijo shock mod and the inner spring pen mod, so it sits pretty low.

JatoTheRipper 01-08-2020 05:00 PM

Re: Ascender F100

Good looking truck.

You like your Ascender more than your TRX-4?

Minnesota 01-08-2020 06:08 PM

They are a nice rig. Seems to be forgotten amongst all the newer releases.

garage-boo 01-08-2020 06:10 PM

I honestly do. I like the trx4 don’t get me wrong. Just enjoy the vaterra more. Especially the much tighter turning radius.

garage-boo 01-08-2020 06:15 PM

I had to do a few mods to push the vaterra in the lead. Once I got rid of the TT it was my favorite. I like the fact you can make it a nice capable rig for a lot less money than some of the other brands.

garage-boo 01-08-2020 06:18 PM

I’m planning on getting a new cab body. I got a little scissor happy on this one.

AK KRAWLER 01-08-2020 11:02 PM

Sweet looking rig. I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for old Fords.

rkj__ 01-09-2020 07:22 AM

They still seem to be selling a decent handful of Ascenders. I can't help but wonder what is next though.

JatoTheRipper 01-09-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garage-boo (Post 5989071)
I honestly do. I like the trx4 don’t get me wrong. Just enjoy the vaterra more. Especially the much tighter turning radius.

Interesting. My Ascender is more capable, but I enjoy the TRX-4 more these days. I haven't gotten the Ascender out in a long time though. Maybe it's time to break it out.

smog 01-09-2020 08:47 AM

My TRX4 is taking me through the winter. I have now set it up where it's killing it in the snow. That said, I will back to the Ascender come spring. I really like the overall quality and performance it. It's time for Vaterra to re-release it as a builders kit with some inner fenders, aluminum bodies on the existing shocks(which are excellent) and optional OD/UD gears.

garage-boo 01-09-2020 09:42 AM

I’ve got OD/UD in my trx4 sport and I wish i could do that with my vaterra.

smog 01-09-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garage-boo (Post 5989217)
I’ve got OD/UD in my trx4 sport and I wish i could do that with my vaterra.

Same here. It's a super-helpful mod and would be the perfect update.

garage-boo 01-09-2020 07:33 PM

When I first ran it stock I was really disappointed with how bad the TT was, but with the shock mods I now have zero TT. I just like the smoothness of the drive train and really enjoy the turning radius. I’ll probably never do competition, but if I did I could see using the vaterra. Where as I couldn’t see using the trx-4. It could handle the climbing, but I would point out on reverses. The brass portal weights really cut down the turning radius.

garage-boo 01-10-2020 09:20 AM

Rc addict has a 3D printed high clearance skid plate. It didn’t say in the description, but i wonder if it would require further mods, or would it just drop in?

smog 01-10-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garage-boo (Post 5989376)
When I first ran it stock I was really disappointed with how bad the TT was, but with the shock mods I now have zero TT. I just like the smoothness of the drive train and really enjoy the turning radius. I’ll probably never do competition, but if I did I could see using the vaterra. Where as I couldn’t see using the trx-4. It could handle the climbing, but I would point out on reverses. The brass portal weights really cut down the turning radius.

The TT used to bother me as well. I outboarded the shocks, did the spring mod and adjusted my collars and oil weights. While I have minimized it, I still have some TT left. Now I choose to see it as the Ascender charm. It just makes me smile.
Quote:

Originally Posted by garage-boo (Post 5989513)
Rc addict has a 3D printed high clearance skid plate. It didn’t say in the description, but i wonder if it would require further mods, or would it just drop in?

First I have heard of it. I don't think it would require any major modification if any at all.

Natedog 02-14-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog (Post 5989583)
The TT used to bother me as well. I outboarded the shocks, did the spring mod and adjusted my collars and oil weights. While I have minimized it, I still have some TT left. Now I choose to see it as the Ascender charm. It just makes me smile.

First I have heard of it. I don't think it would require any major modification if any at all.

X2, my Va'Blazer also has a small diameter home-made rear swaybar and that truck is still my go to crawler for competitions and GTGs. 8)"thumbsup"

Did you buy the skidplate or? What's new with your truck? :)