Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Time to upgrade the steering servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Time to upgrade the steering servo

My son and I were playing with my crawler yesterday and the servo was showing signs of giving up on life, it was clicking when trying to turn and clearly having a bad day. So, upgrade time... is the DS3218 still the recommended way to go? I see a PowerHD 20kg servo on Amazon for $25 which seems like a good option too. I'm just an occasional user so I don't need top end parts, but I'd rather spend a little more for a quality part than buy 2-3 cheap servos. Also, will I need to replace the horn with the servo? I currently have an Axial metal horn on my truck because the stock one stripped out within the first few times running the truck.
cowboyona426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Time to upgrade the steering servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
My son and I were playing with my crawler yesterday and the servo was showing signs of giving up on life, it was clicking when trying to turn and clearly having a bad day. So, upgrade time... is the DS3218 still the recommended way to go? I see a PowerHD 20kg servo on Amazon for $25 which seems like a good option too. I'm just an occasional user so I don't need top end parts, but I'd rather spend a little more for a quality part than buy 2-3 cheap servos. Also, will I need to replace the horn with the servo? I currently have an Axial metal horn on my truck because the stock one stripped out within the first few times running the truck.

I went with the DS3218. The improved torque over stock is certainly noticeable. A nice perk is that they come with an alloy servo horn.

Beware that different servos have a different number of splines. So that Axial servo horn might not fit whatever new servo you buy.

I would not necessarily consider it in the category of quality parts that are expected to last a long time though. There are no shortage of reviews on them, so that should help you set your expectations.

I've had mine since July. The only time I ever had trouble with it was when it got hit with a couple big waves while playing on the lakeshore. It glitched out for a few minutes, so I suspect water got in it. A few minutes later though, it was fine, and has been fine since. I've read mixed reports on the waterproofness of them.

They are so cheap, and so easy to replace, so if mine does not last for years, I won't necessarily be too sad.

I have not really kept up on the latest and greatest for value servos, so hopefully more people can chime in.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

I have done a fair bit of reading on the 3218 servo, just looking for input on other options really. There is the 20kg PowerHD for about $25 or a 25kg Hexfly for a little less that seem to have really great reviews on Amazon, which are still both very affordable in my opinion. I would rather spend the $20-25 once than $15 2 or 3 times, if the extra cost is justified in durability of the servo.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What's your servo budget? I bought one and installed in my TF2 and after couple runs it's getting sloppy and that's in a C1 truck, that made me decide not to waste time and money replacing servos, buy good quality that fits your budget and buy much less often.

Use Holmes HObbies bypass harness and a good BEC such as Castle Creations BEC (they now have a waterproof version if that matters, but can also put it in the rx box

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Voltage Regulators
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

Power HD WP-23KG Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear Digital Servo 23KG/0.12S 6V for Buggy Crawler Truck RC Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBS18YZ..._u6imEbNZ46BPJ
I use this one in my Vaterra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #6

Here’s a video of it in action https://youtu.be/GH0YvX_XcWI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What's your servo budget? I bought one and installed in my TF2 and after couple runs it's getting sloppy and that's in a C1 truck, that made me decide not to waste time and money replacing servos, buy good quality that fits your budget and buy much less often.

Use Holmes HObbies bypass harness and a good BEC such as Castle Creations BEC (they now have a waterproof version if that matters, but can also put it in the rx box

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Voltage Regulators

Didn't really have a budget in mind, there seem to be several good options under $30.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

IME, the hot cheap servos aren't worth the money, but opinions differ. Decide on what you can afford, research and buy.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Time to upgrade the steering servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering servo upgrade Nfd538 Traxxas TRX-4 23 04-10-2020 06:21 AM
Steering servo upgrade Nutternugz Colorado 8 05-25-2011 04:11 PM
Time for a servo upgrade losikid Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 01-20-2010 03:08 PM
steering servo upgrade Aaronn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 12-26-2008 09:43 AM
Steering Servo Upgrade bustedcrawler Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 51 08-05-2004 01:17 PM