Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: 1 Year with My Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1 Year with My Ascender

Well, it's been a year since I picked up my first RC crawler, the Ascender K10.

1) How has the truck been?

Fantastic. I'm very happy with the performance and durability. I would buy it again.

2) What have you upgraded or replaced? Any upgrade plans?

Steering servo, and front bumper were replaced due to failure and breakage. That's about it! I don't have any plans.

3) Do you even run the truck?

Yup. I'll admit, I use it a bit less now than when I first got it, but I still take it on camping trips, or on runs at my favourite local crawl spot.

4) Have you done any comps / events?

Nope. I've gone out with groups a couple times though.

5) So, you bought one truck, hardly upgraded it, and just stopped spending money there?

Yup, pretty much.

6) Is there anything on the market, or in your dreams that you might want to buy or build?

I can't say I'm craving anything on the market right now. The K10 Ascender fits my usage very well. If I were to dream up a new truck it would be a little faster, with more scale details, like an interior and lights. It would be used on trails that are too easy to challenge the K10 Ascender. I don't necessarily want a tire smaller than 4.5", so maybe a 1/8 scale truck would be cool. I'm just not that into building, so it would take a nice RTR that really nails my preferences to get me to make a purchase.

7) Any final thoughts?

In a lot of ways, I feel like I'm not the typical type of person you find on a crawler Facebook group or forum. I'm not obsessed with buying and buildings RCs and crawlers, but I'm very happy I got my Ascender, and hope that it continues to work well for me.

Here's the last run I took a video of.

Last edited by rkj__; 01-21-2020 at 07:34 AM.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1 Year with My Ascender

Your post highlights the reliable nature of the Ascender platform. Glad your liking it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #3

Going from owning a traxxas to getting an ascender RTR I was astounded at how you don’t need to replace anything to have a very capable and reliable crawler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grifff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I love mine. Mine is currently getting some tube work and full interior.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 AM   #5

Good review/ They seem like a great platform for sure
Thompson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson311 View Post
Good review/ They seem like a great platform for sure
They're great. I was hoping them to drop a new model but with Horizon buying Axial I fear the Vaterra line may be done.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Your post summed up my experience with the Ascender, as well. I have had mine for two years. It's never been out of my yard. The only upgrades I would like to make are a 3s battery and some new tires (and they aren't even necesary). The only other RC projects on my radar are getting my old RC-10T running and maybe getting a "go-fast" RC, like a buggy or SCT. Other than that, I am happy with the Ascender and my Traxxas 1/18 SST.

The Ascender is great to take out on a lazy day. I park myself in a chair with a beer and tear around my yard.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyj View Post
The only other RC projects on my radar are getting my old RC-10T running and maybe getting a "go-fast" RC, like a buggy or SCT.

Since typing the post above, I did bring home a SCT; the Arrma Senton. Right off the bat, I'll say that I'm very glad I got the crawler first. I can be out for hours of fun with a single 2s 5000mAh pack. With the Senton, I can blow through a 3s 5200mAh pack in closer to 15 minutes. Thus, it's hardly worth much of a drive to find a bashing spot, if that's all I'll be doing.

However, as I hinted at above, I was interested in an RC that could be entertaining in an area that does not have any challenging obstacles for a crawler. The speed of the Senton 3S BLX can be fun in almost any open space, whether the surface is pavement, grass, gravel, snow, sand, or dirt. There seems to be a pretty wide gap on the market right now, between a crawler and a SCT. Most vehicles that fit between those two speed extremes seem to be caged buggy style vehicles, which I'm not super interested in. So, I bought what was available. I paid less for my Senton than I did for my Ascender, so it's pretty good value IMO.

Last edited by rkj__; 01-21-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I also have an old RC12L I would love to get going. I live in a city, so there are a lot of vacant parking lots that would be good for running it. The problem is that the foam tires have dried out and cracked, and I haven't found replacements.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Since typing the post above, I did bring home a SCT; the Arrma Senton. Right off the bat, I'll say that I'm very glad I got the crawler first. I can be out for hours of fun with a single 2s 5000mAh pack. With the Senton, I can blow through a 3s 5200mAh pack in closer to 15 minutes. Thus, it's hardly worth much of a drive to find a bashing spot, if that's all I'll be doing.

Good looking Senton, love my go fasts too, great to do wheelies, spin some donuts, hit some jumps and laugh like a little kid! Buy a few more lipos and I'll run a pack or two out in the street or take a little drive to a larger bashing spot!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Good looking Senton, love my go fasts too, great to do wheelies, spin some donuts, hit some jumps and laugh like a little kid! Buy a few more lipos and I'll run a pack or two out in the street or take a little drive to a larger bashing spot!

Bashing around almost anywhere can be a bit of fun. Sure, more batteries for would be cool, but I’d rather save for a new truck.

https://youtu.be/1AFilVPdym4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #12

got mine last tax season ( yes I know it not over )
marked $349 got it for $289

I have spent lot of money and brought a lot of new ppl into this shop

love my truck and built it a playground in the backyard
wish I could post pix
Roland The Headless is offline   Reply With Quote

1 Year with My Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For a 3 year old? Exalted85 General Crawlers 21 06-28-2019 04:38 AM
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
What to get my 6 year old? cheapjeep2 Chit Chat 10 07-25-2005 04:23 PM