Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender
Loading

Notices

Thread: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 🌎
Posts: 94
Default Why No Love for the Ascender?

I have an Ascender that has added SSD brass weights and just a few mods, but the thing crawls like crazy. When you watch video's on youtube with the Acsender vs ......., the Ascender always seems to do better. TRX4, SCX10, SCX10ii, Capra, etc. the Ascender seems to dominate. I keep thinking I want to buy another rig, maybe the TRX4 Sport or Axial Capra, but when I watch videos comparing the them, it seems that there is no point. When there are rc crawler shoot outs, most times the Ascender is left out. Is there some bias that these people have that makes them afraid to put the Ascender in the mix. Are they afraid their so and so rig will be beat by the Ascender?


I am genuinely curious, because I want to try out something different, but none of the videos seem to suggest anything would be better then the Ascender I have. Yes it has a bit of torque twist, most of which I have fix, but who cares if it crawlers better.


What are your opinions?


Thanks!!!!
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #2
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West CT
Posts: 71
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

So my first hobby-grade crawler was a wraith which I still have. It’s set up like a scale rock bouncer. I just picked up a like-new ascender blazer for $100. Put a HW1080 in it on 3s everything else bone stock and I gotta tell ya, I am absolutely impressed at how well it does. It crawls at least as good as the wraith and the only thing the wraith is better at is extreme side hill angles. I never expected this thing to be so capable.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: France
Posts: 116
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Problem of the Ascender :
_ its large amount of torque twist ... for many, it's a no-go ...
_ limited aftermarket support
_ it's now an old product with very little chance to get an successor

Still have mine and still love it. Sure torque twist is not always easy to deal with but it's still a great capable platform.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 436
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

I agree completely. The Ascender crawls great. It always seems to do well compared to almost any crawler in the market. It does not need a ton of mods to do well. It is priced better than most trucks too. Durability is great.

The media is bored with it, so they donít bother reviewing it anymore.

The torque twist. I just donít see why this is a big deal. Is it an appearance thing? It rarely seems to be a problem for me performance wise. I donít donít do comps though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh-ish vicinity
Posts: 3,540
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

The Ascender is a fine truck; it is well built, durable, and performs great.

On the flip side, it is basically ancient in scale truck years. The K10 and F100 you can buy today are essentially the same thing I bought in 2015. That fact combined with the very real possibility of the platform going away in the not too distant future makes it hard to pick it over the other options on the market.

As for performance, it was great at the time of release and a breath of fresh air in the SCX10 dominated market. Now, a lot of trucks drive great which makes the Ascender get lost in the pack. I have them all (except the Venture), none of them are a clear cut winner above the others in the out of the box driving department. The Ascender remains what it has been for years, a very good truck in a sea of very good trucks.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 12,483
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Because Horizon gave up on it. They relegated it to a plasticy, RTR mess with the Suburban.

I used to be a diehard Ascender fan. Time has moved on. It's still a good truck, but if I was buying something now it certainly wouldn't be an Ascender.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
MEOW
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wackifornia
Posts: 11,858
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

The Ascender needs very little mods/aftermarket parts right out of the box it's a very capable crawler. Do a few free and cheap mods, and it's crawling much better than most other trucks (even after lots of extra money and aftermarket parts), in addition it's design is very interlocking and therefore frame flex is almost nil. The axles pumpkins are nice and small scale which also increases ground clearance, the plastics are all Losi high grade, no noodles here.


IMO it is over-looked because the initial release pinion gears sometimes broke and the smaller diameter driveshafts sometimes twisted off, both of which were very quickly fixed by Horizon with release of upgraded pinion gears and beefier drive shafts. I've never broken either of the upgraded parts and am not easy on my Ascenders and let many people drive them on 3S with 540 and 550 motors. The aftermarket companies don't love them because their's very little if any upgraded parts that are needed. However, I love customizing and modifying all my RCs as most of us here do. I've been to many competitions where the photographers were all over until they realized our trucks were Ascenders and then they very quickly walked away of were careful to photo the trucks all around us, but keep us out of the pictures. Makes no sense to me, but I've experienced it numerous times, although not as much these days fortunately.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 🌎
Posts: 94
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

So basically what some of you are saying, is that performance is secondary to new and exciting? The technology has not really made any great leaps and bounds any time recently. My experience is that torque twist is nearly eliminated with SSD weights added and shocks out bounded. Sure there is some if you peg the throttle, but nothing that really effects performance in my opinion. The few times I have been out with other people and different crawlers the Ascender always seems to have an edge, even if just slightly. I would love to see a video with the TRX4 Sport doing things the Ascender can't. Then I would buy one, but I hate to get another truck such as the TRX4 Sport and be dissapointed with it when compared to the Ascender. Not trying to start a fight about the Ascender be the best, because I know it isn't, just trying to justify a reason to buy another truck I guess. Probably I should just the TRX4 Sport just for something new to play with.

Last edited by Stomp; 02-18-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 🌎
Posts: 94
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
The Ascender needs very little mods/aftermarket parts right out of the box it's a very capable crawler. Do a few free and cheap mods, and it's crawling much better than most other trucks (even after lots of extra money and aftermarket parts), in addition it's design is very interlocking and therefore frame flex is almost nil. The axles pumpkins are nice and small scale which also increases ground clearance, the plastics are all Losi high grade, no noodles here.


IMO it is over-looked because the initial release pinion gears sometimes broke and the smaller diameter driveshafts sometimes twisted off, both of which were very quickly fixed by Horizon with release of upgraded pinion gears and beefier drive shafts. I've never broken either of the upgraded parts and am not easy on my Ascenders and let many people drive them on 3S with 540 and 550 motors. The aftermarket companies don't love them because their's very little if any upgraded parts that are needed. However, I love customizing and modifying all my RCs as most of us here do. I've been to many competitions where the photographers were all over until they realized our trucks were Ascenders and then they very quickly walked away of were careful to photo the trucks all around us, but keep us out of the pictures. Makes no sense to me, but I've experienced it numerous times, although not as much these days fortunately.

Maybe the Ascender intimidates them?
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: France
Posts: 116
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Nowadays first point for buying a new truck is aftermarket upgrades availability to install before even running ... then comes portals, because no way a truck can perform without portals
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,200
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

One of the few crawlers to look good in yellow, too! Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I agree completely. The Ascender crawls great. It always seems to do well compared to almost any crawler in the market. It does not need a ton of mods to do well. It is priced better than most trucks too. Durability is great.

The media is bored with it, so they donít bother reviewing it anymore.

The torque twist. I just donít see why this is a big deal. Is it an appearance thing? It rarely seems to be a problem for me performance wise. I donít donít do comps though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 436
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
One of the few crawlers to look good in yellow, too! Just saying.


Ha! I never loved the yellow, but Iíve come to accept it. LoL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

I agree with there not being much love for the Ascender, but I still love the way it looks!
Chicago99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: 🌎
Posts: 94
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Just looking at the Ascender with TRX4 axles thread. Now that is pretty cool.
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 436
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Just looking at the Ascender with TRX4 axles thread. Now that is pretty cool.


And I was looking at TRX4 portal delete kits... lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #16
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: central VT
Posts: 1,768
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

The Ascender was almost to good for it's own good. Being very durable out of the box kept much of the aftermarket away. Being able to fine tune it without needing much $ seemed like a blessing at the time of money pit Axials. I'm still praying for an updated upper link mount/axle truss though.

I still play with my first batch Blazer kit and it hangs with my Trx4's and Venture, and even near my Trail king. Makes me agree that new doesn't necessarily mean better.

Amongst my fleet of 30+ trucks the Ascender stands out in its playtime to workbenche time ratio. Meaning it's been the most miles, seen the worst abuse, and yet it's hardly ever needed work. It's even my loaner rig, so newbs bash on it.

Long live the Ascender.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 436
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The Ascender was almost to good for it's own good. Being very durable out of the box kept much of the aftermarket away. Being able to fine tune it without needing much $ seemed like a blessing at the time of money pit Axials. I'm still praying for an updated upper link mount/axle truss though.

I still play with my first batch Blazer kit and it hangs with my Trx4's and Venture, and even near my Trail king. Makes me agree that new doesn't necessarily mean better.

Amongst my fleet of 30+ trucks the Ascender stands out in its playtime to workbenche time ratio. Meaning it's been the most miles, seen the worst abuse, and yet it's hardly ever needed work. It's even my loaner rig, so newbs bash on it.

Long live the Ascender.

The Ascender was my first hobby grade RC. It seems like Iíve set myself up to be disappointed by anything that follows it. I love a good playtime to workbench ratio.

I donít really like working on my RCs that much. I just want to drive Ďem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,200
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
The Ascender was my first hobby grade RC. It seems like Iíve set myself up to be disappointed by anything that follows it.
I hate it when that happens. Still trying to love my Enduro half as much the 10ii you've met.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I donít really like working on my RCs that much. I just want to drive Ďem.
Yeah me too. So not. Stay grounded my friend.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #19
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,200
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

This underscores your point, and might bring back memories...





Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I agree completely. The Ascender crawls great. It always seems to do well compared to almost any crawler in the market.
hobbyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 436
Default Re: Why No Love for the Ascender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
This underscores your point, and might bring back memories...

Sure, post the video where the stock servo reached the end of its life. That awful sound at 4:00! lol
At least I could still drive it out though....

Last edited by rkj__; 03-25-2020 at 07:17 AM.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Why No Love for the Ascender? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Russia with love or adventure Vaterra Ascender in Russia Dan232 Vaterra Ascender 17 12-09-2015 12:59 PM
My Ascender Built, One Bad ascender CustomCrawlRCMike Vaterra Ascender 3 07-03-2015 03:45 PM
Love your children fellas, they will love you back! isyeskeert Chit Chat 26 08-17-2013 08:10 PM
love it 07Crawler Venom Creeper 2 05-06-2010 06:19 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com