Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Ascender - first run...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #1

Default Vaterra Ascender - first run...

This was my first run with my Vaterra Ascender. I must say that I was very impressed with this 100% stock Ascender. It tackled things my Wraith would have been trying to hop over and although the MASSIVE torque twist was off-putting, it didn't seem to affect the performance in any way. I was also surprised that the significant overhang of the body at the back (and with the addition of the spare tyre, which was a stupid decision in hindsight) only scraped a couple of times and did not give me any major hang-ups.

Short clip here

The tyres weren't soft/sticky enough for some of the obstacles but that will obviously appear over time with use.

Now to search for the posts I've seen and previously ignored on reducing that torque twist!

Last edited by CanberraCrawler; 03-27-2020 at 08:04 PM.
CanberraCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Vaterra Ascender - first run...

I love the Ascender. Its my favorite platform from the 4 rigs I have. The torque twist is manageable with some minor changes such as outboarding the rear shocks and preloading the driver (left) spring so it compresses slower. And some careful throttle management.

My favorite part of the Ascender is it's durability. Vaterra has the best, toughest plastic in the business.

About those tires. Those 1.9 race claws are the same ones that came in the RTR Twin Hammers and they are not very good at all for crawling. Vaterra should have put their super swampers on that version of the rig, because those are legitimately good tires.

If you want am excellent budget replacement that functions as good or better as the "best" crawler tires look at the Duratrax Deep Woods.

If not you can cut and sipe the race claws and they do a little better, but their rubber is just too stiff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

Great, thanks for the info!

My only concern with tyres is that the Race Claws are 4.2 and they only stop catching on the body when it’s raised significantly. The Deep Woods are 4.6 as are the Traxxas tyres I have and most other Super Swamper style tyres I’ve looked at.

Do you know of any good tyres that are 4.2?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think most class 1 tires are at the 4.2 size, so any name brand class 1 tire should be good. The stock Vaterra swampers are 4.5, so slightly bigger than the claws but smaller than most 1.9s

Old 03-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

CanberraCrawler, welcome to RCC, your Burban looks great! Great tips from Damatheus, also soaking tires in SimpleGreen and water mix helps traction. Since they're already glued up with foams thats kinda difficult, but you can use a brush to paint on a stronger mixture and let it sit, reapplying every couple minutes. I'd keep the body low, find smaller tires that are good and maybe trim wheel openings slightly.

ProLine 4.19 Swampers in the original smaller size are a great tire but probably slightly taller than the Suburban stock tires. Axial Ripsaws in the smaller size are 4.19" tall and work very well when paired with Crawler Innovations foams. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other great smaller sized tires, personally I prefer to keep tire size in check, I had some DeepWoods and they were huge.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 AM   #6

Thanks Natedog. Great info.

I’m looking but I haven’t found anything yet unless I go down to 1.7 or 1.55 and even then, the choices seem slim.

I got some Swamper copies that were recommended to me and they’re great tyres, super soft and grippy but they’re slightly larger than the stock tyres, which were already getting caught on the wheel openings. It looks as though the body should be a few mm further forward from where it is as there’s room behind the front and rear tyres but it’s mounted on the posts, so I’m not sure what can be done about that bar making custom links and/or slightly changing the angle of the suspension but that could be going in the wrong direction in terms of performance.

Shame. I guess I’ll get my scissors out.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Some 1.9 class 1 tires which are all under 4.19 inch.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/1.9-tir...25?s=class%201

Not too many options, but the hyrax are very good.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Your body posts may have gotten slightly bent, they can be heated and gently bent forward if desired.

Nice smaller tires link, I'd got with the Pro-Line BFG Krawlers, great tires in the larger size and these look well proportioned!
https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...58574?v=846486
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I’ll grab a pair of those and see how I go.

The posts are straight, so I’ll see if I can move them forward somehow before I start cutting.

Thanks again.

Vaterra Ascender - first run... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Ascender - Rainy Trail Run rkj__ Videos! 3 05-02-2019 07:11 PM
Traxxas TRX4 & Vaterra Ascender K10 - cold, snow run Volgan Scale Videos! 0 01-20-2018 02:35 AM
Vaterra 1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Ascender - Another Trail Run eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-04-2015 12:26 AM
Vaterra K5 Blazer Ascender - First Test Run eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 01:55 AM