Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tie rod hitting servo arm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Tie rod hitting servo arm

Hey guys, this is my first rig. It's a k10 rtr, I've noticed that the tie rod hits the servo arm before the shock bottoms out. Still almost a 1/4" left before shock is fully compressed.
I've looked around and haven't come across anything on this problem, ( or I've been looking in the wrong spot) I tried moving the servo to the top of the mounts but the the steering link ended up way too short.
Anyone else having this issue? Looking for some advice. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
meadus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tie rod hitting servo arm

Medus11 welcome to RCCrawler!

Different servos have different heights and different servo horn lengths can affect this too, sometimes gotta play around with the adjustments. If you read through my Ascender thread, you'll see how I made a single longer tie-rod mounted under the knuckles ends like stock, but used a longer draglink from the servo horn to the top of the steering knuckle, works great! You'll have to play around with the servo mounting height (mines in stock location all my Ascenders are now at WB4), may need to use some shims (washers, flat aluminum stock with holes drilled etc.) to raise servo higher, too high causes excessive bumpsteer though. I'm also using aluminum servo horns with more offset for clearance.

You may be able to get away with just a more offset aluminum servo horn, avoid the super thick ones because that can negate the offset. Read through my thread, but you'll have to play with it a little for your particular setup.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

In my experience, although contact is possible if both front shocks fully compress at the same time, that scenario never really occurs when I'm out on the trail.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Ill definitely read through your build natedog.
I've got a savox 1210sg servo coming in the mail, so I'll wait to see what it sits like with that in there before I do too much.
I've been doing alot of tinkering with the truck (got alot of extra time now). Built a front bumper, but it was too heavy (256g).
So I trimmed up the original mounts and went back to the stock bumper. Built a wood deck for the rig, turned out ok. Some rock sliders, lights, now just fiddling with the suspension, trying to get it tuned up.
Now that I'm done blabbing about that I'll leave with a few pics

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
meadus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Digging the wooden bed.

I ended up spacing the servo up 3mm, then using 3mm of spacers between the horn and drag link end, most have needed a slightly longer ball stud to maintain full thread engagement into the horn. This raised the horn while keeping the drag link at the proper location.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tie rod hitting servo arm - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need new tie rod. What to get? Droopy487 Axial Wraith 8 05-20-2014 08:13 AM
Tie Rod Help LooseMoose1978 Axial XR10 18 05-29-2013 07:28 PM
KK high clearance tie-rod vs. CKRC OTA tie-rod vs. ?? BigB_117 EnRoute Berg 64 07-06-2009 11:20 PM
X Crawler tie rod fix/servo guard. revo-4tec-mike XTM Crawler 5 05-04-2009 07:19 PM