Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: No New Vaterra Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Post No New Vaterra Products

For those not on Facebook and those who have not found the information through other existing sources or threads, here is the news from Rich Trujillo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich RC Trujillo
Hi All, i'd like to address the Ascender status. For those that don't know me, i'm a Senior Product Developer for Horizon Hobby. From the start of Vaterra, I worked on all the Ascenders, Touring cars and Twin hammers. So to say the least Vaterra has been close to me..

That being said, I wanted to clarify that there will not be a new version of the Ascender and no, the Axial SCX10 III was not going to be the Ascender 2.0. The SCX10 III was a ground up design from Matt Kearney (a long time designer at Axlal). Being that I worked on the SCX10 III and Capra projects, we were able to incorporate the patented sliding chassis rails for the SCX10 III now that Axial is a brand of Horizon. Vaterra is NOT going out of business as Vaterra is a brand of Horizon (like Mountain Dew is a brand of Pepsico).

The current Vaterra line of vehicles will continue to be made and supported with spares etc as long as their is enough demand to meet production. They are not going away anytime soon.

I want to thank everyone that has supported the Ascender and continues to do so. I appreciate the loyalty to this rig. We were always the underdog but I always felt we had a killer chassis with fit and finish, its just been tough to overcome the "torque twist" comments that continues to haunt me to this day LOL. I learned a lot from this rig.

I know this info will upset many of you and you won't understand why we are not making a 2.0 version but there is a lot of thought that goes into these decisions. Our leadership at Horizon is very supportive and does not take this lightly. As the developer that worked on every Ascender, I felt i should let you guys know sooner than later and "rip the band-aid" off.

Hopefully this clears it up for you guys and don't hold too much ill will towards Horizon. I'm proud of the company i work for and we all take pride in what we do and want to offer the best experience we can to the RC consumer.

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by rkj__; 04-17-2020 at 01:18 PM.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: No New Vaterra Products

Thanks for posting.

Makes sense...with both Axial and Vaterra under the same umbrella so to speak, I expected this eventually. Did have and still do have a good time with my Ascender, it's a fun truck. You did good Rich!! Keep the new stuff coming, very excited for the future.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #3

Rich announced this on a live stream a week or two ago now. I think it was Harley's live stream. I'm surprised it took this long to become official. This writing was on the wall as soon as Horizon bought Axial. Very sad we'll never see another Ascender. That was a great platform with a fatal flaw that really wasn't all that fatal IMO. But, on the other hand, Axial got the boost they need to become the best and highest quality rig out there.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I heard that on Harley's stream, I though about posting it up but didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

I think Josh took a bit too much pleasure in this news, he had a huge smile. Not cool Josh lol
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Despite the denial about the new SCX chassis not being the base of a new Ascender, I cant help feeling a bit cheated. I'm feeling grumpy about this, but put that down to being an old guy lol.

I have enough parts to keep my 2 Ascenders going for a long time anyway. I still enjoy them as much as I did when I bought them. The only problem is I can't think of any improvements I can make to them. Hard old life ain't it?

My nephew has bought and built an SCX10.3 and likes it a lot. But he lives too far away for me to see it in action.

At least Horizon have done the decent thing and improved the quality. I had an early SCX based truck and got tired of repairing it if it just took a small tumble. My Ascenders have had some big crashes, but still been able to drive them.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Despite the denial about the new SCX chassis not being the base of a new Ascender, I cant help feeling a bit cheated. I'm feeling grumpy about this, but put that down to being an old guy lol.

I have enough parts to keep my 2 Ascenders going for a long time anyway. I still enjoy them as much as I did when I bought them. The only problem is I can't think of any improvements I can make to them. Hard old life ain't it?

My nephew has bought and built an SCX10.3 and likes it a lot. But he lives too far away for me to see it in action.

At least Horizon have done the decent thing and improved the quality. I had an early SCX based truck and got tired of repairing it if it just took a small tumble. My Ascenders have had some big crashes, but still been able to drive them.
I can understand where you are coming from. Think about it differently though. Axial is a great brand (I know you had issues in the past) and Vaterra was great under Horizon. Yes Axial designed this new rig but under Horizon and with members from the team that built the Ascender.

Basically you now get the best efforts from Axial and Vaterra combined in one new rig. I have built one and so far I have been enjoying it a lot. Is it perfect? No, that does not exist. There is always something somebody does not like or a design decision that they question. Overall this is a great rig that is not disappointing at all. From what I have seen so far this will be a very rugged rig that will be able to take abuse just like your Ascender does and just like the TRX-4 does.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Well there might be one in the distant future, but with all the trucks coming out the last few months there is plenty of choice and I still haven't finished the Gen8 I bought almost a year ago.

The amount of stuff available now is pretty good, but to be a good seller now, it has to be good quality and good spares/upgrades available or will struggle.

Makes you wonder who will do what next.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

I think most of us saw this coming when Horizon took over Axial. As long as Horizon continues to support the Ascender I cant really complain.

From what I understand and the way I see it, SCXiii takes the Axial platform to where it should have been long ago. It comes with proper quality plastics and shocks that don't require replacement before its even run(just like the Ascender). The way I see it, this is the Ascender and SCX10 blended and then impoved upon. The Axial name is only used because it has more significant history and sells. The Ascender is awesome, I still run mine, but now we have the TRX4, The Element Enduro, the SSD Trail King, the SCXiii and the VP Holy Grail. Not to mention the other fringe players. At this point do we even need another? I would rather have more body and part options please and thank you
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
. At this point do we even need another? :

I still think there is room in the market for a scale 4x4 prerunner truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I feel this doesn't bode well for Twin Hammer parts availability. Some are already showing up as "discontinued".

My Ascender is so reliable I'm not worried. I've got a set of gears, cvds, and housings so I should be set for years.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #11
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
I still think there is room in the market for a scale 4x4 prerunner truck.

How would you set up a prerunner? IFS? Wider Axles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I feel this doesn't bode well for Twin Hammer parts availability. Some are already showing up as "discontinued".

My Ascender is so reliable I'm not worried. I've got a set of gears, cvds, and housings so I should be set for years.
I hear ya. The Twin Hammers is such a great platform, to lose it is a real shame imo.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I heard that on Harley's stream, I though about posting it up but didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

I think Josh took a bit too much pleasure in this news, he had a huge smile. Not cool Josh lol
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post

At least Horizon have done the decent thing and improved the quality.
X2

Quote:
I think most of us saw this coming when Horizon took over Axial. As long as Horizon continues to support the Ascender I cant really complain.

From what I understand and the way I see it, SCXiii takes the Axial platform to where it should have been long ago. It comes with proper quality plastics and shocks that don't require replacement before its even run(just like the Ascender). The way I see it, this is the Ascender and SCX10 blended and then impoved upon. The Axial name is only used because it has more significant history and sells. The Ascender is awesome, I still run mine....more body and part options please and thank you

Still love all my Ascenders, one of the few crawlers that doesn't require a bin full of upgrade parts just to stay on the trail....until now there's also the Axial SCX10III.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-01-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How would you set up a prerunner? IFS? Wider Axles?
I’m thinking IFS, solid rear axle, and a little more speed than a typical crawler.

Now that the Element IFS kit is out, you can certainly build your own, but not everyone is a builder...

Old 04-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

And the aftermarket is starting to drop out already.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have an ascender and it’s been a great rig, the one I’m more worried about is the TH, that’s one of my favourite rigs ever, hopefully that they will be available for a while yet.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I'm the same. also being in the UK it can be hard to get parts, but my Ascenders have been very reliable. Also ordering stuff from the USA or Hong Kong is very slow at this time.

My TH is driving very nicely now, but parts are pretty much impossible to get.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

F100 BND no longer available.

Old 05-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

K10 RTR is no longer available.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Sadly, I think what we’ve got is what we’ve got. Better get what parts you need/want now.

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Sadly, I think what we’ve got is what we’ve got. Better get what parts you need/want now.

Ben

Or, use “discontinued / no longer available” as an excuse to justify getting a new truck to yourself, or your wife.

No New Vaterra Products - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limited Quantity Available for PRE ORDER Vanquish Products Products VS4-10. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-08-2018 05:15 PM
No more coupons on Vaterra products svt923 Vaterra Ascender 36 05-07-2017 06:07 PM
New Vanquish Products VVDs for the Vaterra RC Ascender - coming soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-02-2017 11:27 AM