Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Trouble adjusting steering end points after new servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Trouble adjusting steering end points after new servo

Yes, I RTFM and followed the procedure several times and I'm still having issues.
I bought this servo when my stock servo gave up on life- https://www.ebay.com/itm/DS3225-25KG...72.m2749.l2649

I have been trying for well over an hour now to get the steering end points correctly set and I'm getting nowhere. The instructions in the manual are a bit vague and I'm wondering if I'm not missing a step or overlooking something. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit- the only thing not stock is the servo.

Last edited by cowboyona426; 05-06-2020 at 12:26 PM.
cowboyona426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Default Re: Trouble adjusting steering end points after new servo

What transmitter are you using?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you dont have any broken or loose links. At one point I was having issues centering my steering and I eventually discovered that the axle housing had cracked and was allowing it to move. This was a beeftube modded axle and very thin where it split BTW.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What transmitter are you using?

Stock DX2E. I literally have changed/upgraded nothing except for the servo due to failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Make sure you dont have any broken or loose links. At one point I was having issues centering my steering and I eventually discovered that the axle housing had cracked and was allowing it to move. This was a beeftube modded axle and very thin where it split BTW.

Good to know for future reference.

I got it sorted out, the steering rate adjustment was set to the minimum and once I adjusted that everything was behaving as it should. Another great example of an error code 1d10t
Old 05-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
I got it sorted out, the steering rate adjustment was set to the minimum and once I adjusted that everything was behaving as it should. Another great example of an error code 1d10t
well at least you have the humility to admit it! I'm glad you got it sorted out!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

What would cause the steering throw to be inconsistent? I took care to set the end points a little short of full throw on both sides since I've heard that some guys have had problems breaking parts under full turn, and when I set everything the throw was the same right to left. Now it's steering farther to the left than the right, farther than I'd like it to go. I did have to adjust the trim to get the front wheels pointed straight, would that cause the throw to change?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What would cause the steering throw to be inconsistent? I took care to set the end points a little short of full throw on both sides since I've heard that some guys have had problems breaking parts under full turn, and when I set everything the throw was the same right to left. Now it's steering farther to the left than the right, farther than I'd like it to go. I did have to adjust the trim to get the front wheels pointed straight, would that cause the throw to change?

Did you set the end points before or after centering the steering?
Just know that if you shift the steering trim (centering the steering) you also shift the end points that were set.

You may just need to set the end points again.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Did you set the end points before or after centering the steering?
Just know that if you shift the steering trim (centering the steering) you also shift the end points that were set.

You may just need to set the end points again.

I had it centered before setting end points. It seems to be a little temperamental, the steering trim hasn't needed to be adjusted at all since installing the servo until yesterday, I had to crank it all the way to the left to get the wheels centered. Possible ESC issue?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had it centered before setting end points. It seems to be a little temperamental, the steering trim hasn't needed to be adjusted at all since installing the servo until yesterday, I had to crank it all the way to the left to get the wheels centered. Possible ESC issue?
Once you install the servo and servo horn you have it centered?

When you turn on the ESC it is still centered by eyeballing it?

It is after this you need to add a lot of left sub trim in?

If the above is all correct you should not adjust the sub trim. Once you have it eyeball straight turn on the ESC. If you drive it and you need a LOT of sub trim remove the servo horn, straighten the wheels, put the horn back on and lastly if needed add some sub trim. Center may not have the servo horn pointing straight forward, with the wheels pointing straight the servo horn itself may be pointing to the left or the right of the truck a bit which is OK.

The main thing is to have your wheels straight and then put on the servo horn with the ESC on and all trims at ZERO. Even if after this the servo horn is not pointing straight forward it is at zero trim and the wheels are straight. This is what you are aiming for, from here it should be minor sub trim adjustments to get it completely or very close to straight.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
Once you install the servo and servo horn you have it centered?

When you turn on the ESC it is still centered by eyeballing it?

It is after this you need to add a lot of left sub trim in?

If the above is all correct you should not adjust the sub trim. Once you have it eyeball straight turn on the ESC. If you drive it and you need a LOT of sub trim remove the servo horn, straighten the wheels, put the horn back on and lastly if needed add some sub trim. Center may not have the servo horn pointing straight forward, with the wheels pointing straight the servo horn itself may be pointing to the left or the right of the truck a bit which is OK.

The main thing is to have your wheels straight and then put on the servo horn with the ESC on and all trims at ZERO. Even if after this the servo horn is not pointing straight forward it is at zero trim and the wheels are straight. This is what you are aiming for, from here it should be minor sub trim adjustments to get it completely or very close to straight.
When I installed the servo, I powered on the controller and then the truck so the servo would center itself (steering trim knob centered on controller). I then installed the servo horn with the tires pointing as close to straight forward as I could get it. I had to add a little left trim to get them visually straight (truck drove straight as well). Yesterday, for whatever reason I was having to turn the trim full left to get the tires to be pointed straight.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had to add a little left trim to get them visually straight (truck drove straight as well). Yesterday, for whatever reason I was having to turn the trim full left to get the tires to be pointed straight.
OK I did not read closely enough to understand that you have set the steering at center and adjusted endpoints successfully only to have this change the following day without making any changes.

I don't believe this would be the ESC. To me the ESC is not in the equation. Your transmitter is sending the signal for steering straight to the receiver and from there the signal is going to the servo.

Do you have another radio you can try? My thought is the controller is sending wrong information to the receiver / servo. It could be the servo but it is brand new.... If you cannot test with another radio can you test with another servo? This may at least narrow down where the problem exists and we can go from there.

***EDIT***

Also could be the receiver. If you have a spare one to try out that will either be the issue or eliminate the receiver being a problem.

Last edited by $uicide $hift; 05-12-2020 at 12:44 PM.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote

Trouble adjusting steering end points after new servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there any way to set end points for shift servo etc? CoolRunning Traxxas TRX-4 11 07-19-2017 10:57 AM
Steering Servo Trouble murlin12 Electronics 6 11-23-2013 08:15 PM
savox servo end points deadheart Electronics 3 11-12-2012 06:37 PM
Help and Idiot Set Shift Servo End Points Please! alexchen86 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 07-28-2012 10:14 PM
flip chassis, Receiver and steering servo trouble.. phase10 HPI Wheely King 3 01-13-2008 05:49 PM