Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Badger's Vaterra Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #301
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Badger's Vaterra Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
I ordered two of those yesterday for my twin hammers.
I think they should be great for this rig.
130C burst discharge rate!?!? Wow! And a ROAR-approved hard-case.

For under $35?? Not too bad. I might pick up a few of those..

Last edited by Big Mike; 02-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #302
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGrocks View Post
Isn't 65c too much punch? Or am I wrong about punch & C rating?
The "C" is the discharge rate. Another way of looking at it is -the higher the value, the faster you can dump the pack without overheating, catching fire, etc.

I do not think a high burst discharge rate will harm an ESC or motor. Someone correct me if I am not right...

Last edited by Big Mike; 02-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #303
Quarry Creeper

You are correct
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #304
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
Something I've been thinking about regarding this, is if anyone is going to use a conventional fast brushless system like a Velineon, observe the C rating of those little flight pack lipos that they use.

If you have a system that under load can surge up to 60 amps or more, it won't do a 2000 mah 25C battery much good. You'll need to get either a high discharge flight pack or one of those shorty packs like Badger is using.
Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Which KV Roc you useing?
I have the 3300kv that i just got that was going to go into my truggy but now with my twin hammer coming i don't know which one it should go into,

Hows the top speed with the ROC in it now?

THanks
Mike
I have the 3100kv ROC 412. Top speed 2nd (high) is 22.5 MPH on 3S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravo View Post
Thanks for your kind reply Badger. Maybe the internal gears are plastic or a mix of plastic and metal (as the wraith, one is metal and two are plastic) but who cares? As long as they dont break its awsome.
The metal drivelines are a great feature in this car.
Sorry I should have clarified a little more when I said they were metal. The yokes are metal and the shafts are plastic just like almost every other crawler on the market. The yokes are the most important piece that needs to be metal, you can get away with plastic shafts as long as you don't put a crazy motor on 4S, or don't really bind up the tires and stay on the throttle. I've bound up the wheels when crawling the Twin Hammers with the ROC 412 motor on 3S as well as done wheel stands in the street numerous times and the plastic shafts don't show any sign of twisting and so far have held up great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravo View Post
Sorry you have had problems with castle, i dont. And no issues whatsoever. I put a mamba max with a castle sct motor the 2400kv 4 pole run it in sand, foffinf with 4s lipo two 2s packs plugged in series no fan on the motor and average temp 30 degrees, after one hour and half the motor was warm to the touch. As for sensored, its best but with castle link set the start throtle curve down to 50% and dont use more than 2 in timing advance settings. Because on 4pole motors you will not gain increase in speed above 2 and you only increase heat. Both lipos used were two turnigy nanotech 5800mah with 40c discharge. With those settings you can crawl with almost no cog, to improve it better you can use one 2s lipo to crawl and bump it to 4s in series for bashing.
Cheers
Cravo
The problem is you said "With those settings you can crawl with almost no cog", any cog in a crawler to me is unacceptable which is why I recommended a sensored brushless system for crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyJeff View Post
This is my very first RC, so i'm a complete noob I haven't driven an RC car since I was 6~ years old.
I'm going to research batteries today so I can either order online or buy from hobbytown when I go tomorrow
or if you have a link and say "buy this", that might help me!
Gotcha. An important thing to keep in mind is that the stock ESC does not support 3s, you can only use 2s with it so if you don't plan on upgrading the ESC then I would buy 2s shorty packs. If you plan on upgrading the ESC right away that supports 3s then buy the 3s lipo's now. You really have to make that decision early because the stock battery only gives you so much run time and I'm sure you don't want to invest in 2s shorty packs to run on the stock ESC if your a speed junky and think you will want to go to 3s and have to reinvest in more new 3s batteries.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #305
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Gotcha. An important thing to keep in mind is that the stock ESC does not support 3s, you can only use 2s with it so if you don't plan on upgrading the ESC then I would buy 2s shorty packs. If you plan on upgrading the ESC right away that supports 3s then buy the 3s lipo's now. You really have to make that decision early because the stock battery only gives you so much run time and I'm sure you don't want to invest in 2s shorty packs to run on the stock ESC if your a speed junky and think you will want to go to 3s and have to reinvest in more new 3s batteries.
I think i do want to get a new ESC too, and run this battery
which ESC should i get? doesn't have to be the most expensive thing, just something that is good and will work for me being a nooby
SubyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #306
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
which ESC should i get? doesn't have to be the most expensive thing, just something that is good and will work for me being a nooby
Depending on what you want to do (predominantly crawl of go fast), and what motor you want to run (brushed, brushless, crawl or speed).

More specifics please
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #307
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
Depending on what you want to do (predominantly crawl of go fast), and what motor you want to run (brushed, brushless, crawl or speed).

More specifics please
well i understand the first part at least lol
i just want to fart around in dirt, wilderness type stuff, and do a little rock crawling. not MAJOR rock crawling like the SCX10 jeep crowd. i don't have to go super fast, just a reasonable fast speed for like a dirt/gravel large parking lot kinda thing. or take it out on normal wilderness walking/hiking trails

as far as motor, i think the stock motor? i haven't learned about the motors yet! i've only started learning about the batteries by reading a huge FAQ this morning, so it'll take me a bit more time to learn all the other stuff too!
SubyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #308
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
well i understand the first part at least lol
i just want to fart around in dirt, wilderness type stuff, and do a little rock crawling. not MAJOR rock crawling like the SCX10 jeep crowd. i don't have to go super fast, just a reasonable fast speed for like a dirt/gravel large parking lot kinda thing. or take it out on normal wilderness walking/hiking trails

as far as motor, i think the stock motor? i haven't learned about the motors yet! i've only started learning about the batteries by reading a huge FAQ this morning, so it'll take me a bit more time to learn all the other stuff too!
i suggest doing alot more research and maybe wait tell you see this rig in person, ask a buddy to borrow a controler or something, if your not really shure about this stuff yet, the best thing to do is make the right choice once man, if you buy a 400$ rig , your already talking about changing the speed control, thats more money, find a rig you really want or fid a kit version, then your not wasting 4004 then buying more stuff, just buy a kit and put whatever you want in it to power it,
JDCrawler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #309

Quote:
I personally wouldn't run a "cheaper" 25C lipo in a rig like the Twin Hammers that can go fast. If you want to go the cheaper china route of lipo's then I would go with a higher C rating then what you would normally go with in the higher quality brand batteries. So if you want to buy the Gforce lipo's I would go with the 40C pack for just a little more money.

As far as upgrading the ESC, you need to do some thinking/planning ahead of time as well. If you want to use the stock brushed motor with your new ESC and eventually plan on getting a brushless motor (highly recommended for this rig for the awesome fun factor) then you need to purchase an ESC that is both brushed and brushless compatible, not all of them are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
i suggest doing alot more research and maybe wait tell you see this rig in person, ask a buddy to borrow a controler or something, if your not really shure about this stuff yet, the best thing to do is make the right choice once man, if you buy a 400$ rig , your already talking about changing the speed control, thats more money, find a rig you really want or fid a kit version, then your not wasting 4004 then buying more stuff, just buy a kit and put whatever you want in it to power it,
Agreed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #310
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

(highly recommended for this rig for the awesome fun factor)
is it needed to go brushless?? how slow is it out of the box, say compared to a stock wraith?

just stock to stock comparison on speed,, i understand driveability is different
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrawler27 View Post
is it needed to go brushless?? how slow is it out of the box, say compared to a stock wraith?

just stock to stock comparison on speed,, i understand driveability is different
No it is not a necessity to go brushless at all. I like brushless and 3s power because like I've said before I like to have some speed in my crawlers so I run all of them on 3s lipo's. Brushless gives you more run time and will not wear out nearly as fast as a brushed motor in a crawler running at high speeds for long periods of time.

The max speed was 16.7 MPH in my stock RTR Wraith with 3s lipo which is very comparable to the RTR Twin Hammers with 2s lipo.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #312
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No it is not a necessity to go brushless at all. I like brushless and 3s power because like I've said before I like to have some speed in my crawlers so I run all of them on 3s lipo's. Brushless gives you more run time and will not wear out nearly as fast as a brushed motor in a crawler running at high speeds for long periods of time.

The max speed was 16.7 MPH in my stock RTR Wraith with 3s lipo which is very comparable to the RTR Twin Hammers with 2s lipo.

thank you sir,, now just waiting to see my buddy at BGR Fabrications with his so i can see it in person before i buy mine,,
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #313
Rock Crawler

i have found the battery great for this rig it only weighs 189 and its a 4200 mah 65c pack.
Turnigy nano-tech Shorty 4200mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack (ROAR APPROVED)
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt95 View Post
i have found the battery great for this rig it only weighs 189 and its a 4200 mah 65c pack.
Turnigy nano-tech Shorty 4200mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack (ROAR APPROVED)
It does look great but it's still a Turnigy battery. I won't run Turnigy packs in any car that care about, I'll only run them in rigs (mostly SC's) that I won't care if it burns to the ground. And I didn't buy the Turnigy packs I have, I got them when buying used RC's.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #315
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It does look great but it's still a Turnigy battery. I won't run Turnigy packs in any car that care about, I'll only run them in rigs (mostly SC's) that I won't care if it burns to the ground. And I didn't buy the Turnigy packs I have, I got them when buying used RC's.
I take it u have had problems with turnigy lipos? Just curious cause I have a few of them. I havnt used them much but if they r gonna burn up I defiantly don't wanna use them with my expensive electronics.
Rockridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #316
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt95 View Post
Thanks for the link. Ive never had bad luck w/ these batt.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #317
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockridge View Post
I take it u have had problems with turnigy lipos? Just curious cause I have a few of them. I havnt used them much but if they r gonna burn up I defiantly don't wanna use them with my expensive electronics.
I'd like to know what's wrong with them also.
I have a couple 5000s that have been working great for over a year in my SC truck.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #318
RCC Addict

where is the video from yesterday
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #319
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockridge View Post
Not just burning the electronics. When a LiPO goes off, it takes everything in the path of the jet of flame. One of the EXO testers here ended up with a black stinky puddle in the middle of a skate park.

Basically, if you pay $15 for a same size and quoting a higher rating than a $50 Dualsky or similar, a brand that has solid cred, you know what you are paying for. Yes, there are some companies that over charge for your batteries, but you're not being smart, clever or frugal on paying bargain basement price for a Chinese basement battery. That's any of those brands. You're just playing a game of chance.

Last edited by Badmuthatrucker; 02-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #320
Rock Crawler

Badger have you had bad experience with turnigy lipos?
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/425908-badgers-vaterra-twin-hammers-1-9-rock-racer.html
Posted By For Type Date
Vaterra Twin Hammers 1/10 4WD Rock Racer - Seite 2 - RC Crawler - RC-Erdferkel This thread Refback 03-18-2013 12:32 PM
the exo's newest enemy This thread Refback 03-15-2013 11:59 PM
the exo's newest enemy - Page 3 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 03-10-2013 12:32 PM
Vaterra Twin Hammers 1/10 4WD Rock Racer - Seite 2 - RC Crawler - RC-Erdferkel This thread Refback 03-01-2013 08:14 PM
Vaterra & Horizon Hobby Products : radiocontrol This thread Refback 02-15-2013 10:00 PM
Neu bei Jakspeed Racing = Vaterra Twin Hammers 1/10 4WD Rock Racer (Horizon Hobby) - Seite 5 - Jakspeed Racing - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 02-15-2013 03:52 PM
Vaterra - Horizon Hobby's new brand - Page 5 - RC Groups This thread Refback 02-13-2013 12:22 PM
RCMT Review Crew want to do Twin Hammers review??? - Page 2 This thread Refback 02-12-2013 06:43 AM
the exo's newest enemy - Page 2 - RCShortCourse.com Bulletin Board This thread Pingback 02-10-2013 03:14 PM
vaterra twins hammer - Virgilio Ricerca Web This thread Refback 02-08-2013 02:54 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Vaterra RC alguém conhece? This thread Refback 02-08-2013 08:53 AM
Neu bei Jakspeed Racing = Vaterra Twin Hammers 1/10 4WD Rock Racer (Horizon Hobby) - Seite 4 - Jakspeed Racing - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 02-08-2013 01:56 AM
- Neuer Hersteller: Vaterra - offroad-CULT This thread Refback 02-07-2013 03:24 AM
Vaterra Twin Hammers - jetzt wird gefahren... - Short Course, Desert Racing und Tamiya SRB - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 02-06-2013 04:48 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - VATERRA TWIN HAMMER REVIEW- NOVA MARCA DE RCS DA HORIZON This thread Refback 02-06-2013 03:37 PM
Er ist da - Vaterra Twin Hammers - Bilder - Die deutschsprachige HPI Baja Community This thread Refback 02-06-2013 11:57 AM
Er ist da - Vaterra Twin Hammers - Bilder - Die deutschsprachige HPI Baja Community This thread Refback 02-06-2013 11:47 AM
Vatis Doppelhammer, unboxing durch Sigi F. - Short Course, Desert Racing und Tamiya SRB - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 02-06-2013 08:49 AM
Horizon Hobby releases new Brand Vaterra with some cool new RC models This thread Refback 02-05-2013 11:46 AM
Vaterra Twin Hammers This thread Refback 02-05-2013 08:00 AM
Vaterra rc - Twin Hammers 1/10 Rock Racer This thread Refback 02-04-2013 08:32 AM
• Thema anzeigen - Vaterra - Twin Hammers This thread Refback 02-04-2013 08:27 AM
Vaterra RC from Horizon Hobby - Page 2 - RC News - Modelsport UK Forum - Page 2 This thread Refback 02-04-2013 03:26 AM
Ny bil....men hvilken??? - Generel diskussion This thread Refback 02-03-2013 01:33 PM
Rock Racer - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-02-2013 05:59 PM
Horizon Hobby? Rock Racer, link This thread Refback 02-02-2013 02:34 PM
Vaterra "TWIN HAMMERS" 4WD Rock Racer. - Neuvorstellungen - RC-Monster-Trucks This thread Refback 02-02-2013 02:33 PM
Chase and Eggs - Page 108 - RCLargeScale.com This thread Refback 02-02-2013 02:05 PM
Mini Monster Club Romand • Consulter le sujet - Vaterra Twin Hammers, nouveau type de Scale... This thread Refback 02-02-2013 11:53 AM
Neu bei Jakspeed Racing = Vaterra Twin Hammers 1/10 4WD Rock Racer (Horizon Hobby) - Seite 2 - Jakspeed Racing - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 02-02-2013 04:45 AM
A.S.D.Trial Attack Racing Team - Online Users This thread Refback 02-01-2013 03:16 PM
Vaterra RC - Page 5 This thread Refback 02-01-2013 02:38 PM
vaterra - page 3 This thread Refback 02-01-2013 02:38 PM
4x4-Stubai - Neuer IFS Buggy: Vaterra Twin Hammers This thread Refback 02-01-2013 06:59 AM
Neuigkeiten 2013 - Bilder und Videos - rccrawler.eu This thread Refback 01-31-2013 11:06 PM
Novità da Horizon Hobby: VATERRA RC!! - Pagina 10 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 01-31-2013 04:55 PM
ùàìä Twin Hammer rock racer This thread Refback 01-31-2013 03:25 PM
denna var tøff This thread Refback 01-31-2013 02:01 PM
Mmmmm??? - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 01-31-2013 09:15 AM
Novità da Horizon Hobby: VATERRA RC!! - Pagina 7 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 01-31-2013 09:11 AM
Vaterra RC Twin Hammers IFS Desert Truck This thread Refback 01-31-2013 08:27 AM
Novità da Horizon Hobby: VATERRA RC!! - Pagina 7 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 01-31-2013 06:23 AM
Maritime Scale RC Forums - Vaterra Twin Hammers RTR Truck This thread Refback 01-31-2013 05:19 AM
the Crawl Pit • View topic - twin hammers This thread Refback 01-31-2013 01:07 AM
New Brand from Horizon coming tomorrow! - Page 2 - Oregon R/C Rock Crawlers This thread Refback 01-30-2013 09:24 PM
New Brand from Horizon coming tomorrow! - Page 2 - Oregon R/C Rock Crawlers This thread Refback 01-30-2013 09:10 PM
à¹à¸Ÿà¸™à¹†à¸£à¸–สเà¸à¸§ à¹à¸•à¹ˆà¹„ม่ลืมที่จะโหดต้องดูนี่ครับ " Twin Hammers " This thread Refback 01-30-2013 07:41 PM
Scale RC - Page 396 - R/C Tech Forums This thread Pingback 01-30-2013 07:26 PM
LO NUEVO ....Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer RTR by Vaterra - TwistedAndes This thread Refback 01-30-2013 03:38 PM
Novità da Horizon Hobby: VATERRA RC!! - Pagina 5 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 01-30-2013 02:44 PM

Badger's Vaterra Twin Hammers 1.9 Rock Racer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Twin Hammers Picture Archive - No talking Rock Concepts Vaterra Twin Hammers 345 03-11-2024 05:55 PM
Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep JK w/ VP Currie Rock Axles badger Axial SCX-10 283 01-23-2016 08:04 PM
Video of Twin Hammers Rock Concepts Vaterra Twin Hammers 78 04-09-2013 06:55 AM
Twin Hammers Rock Concepts Videos! 4 01-31-2013 02:50 PM
NEW Vaterra Twin Hammers Discussion nissan_driver24 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 01-30-2013 01:47 PM