Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Brushless System Opinion - Which is Best for MY needs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFox View Post
Have you some video of your car ?
I can make one. LOL.

send from my HTC One-X
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushless System Opinion - Which is Best for MY needs?

Still happy with this set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSCX10 View Post
Well just an update. I did go with the Brushless Hobbies LT4 and a HobbyWin XERUN 13.5t sensored motor. People don't use the esc over a MMP, etc. because of lack of marketing, and cause it isn't "top shelf" name brand. I could care less about a $50 sticker.

The programming is immense on the ESC. Start up in so buttery smooth. I'm very impressed. $55 for the esc and $49 for the motor. And its as smooth as any MMP system I've ever driven. I'll update after very thoroughly testing. Running ValueHobby Gforce elite series 3s 2200mah 30c as well.
razors 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

I have an ae2 and Integy 35 in my th right now.

I'm planning on putting a Tekin rs and Orion V2 17.5 in it. Not sure how to gear it but it looks like I can change out the pinion and set the mesh with the trans and motor installed in the vehicle. Thinking of running 0 degrees can timing, near max boost over full rpm range, and current limiter to 70% or so.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Double post
Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Mamba max pro, tekin roc 412 3100kv, on 3s.

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Attached Images

foratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSCX10 View Post
Tell me more of your opinion on this set up.

How is low end speed and control in low gear? Does it crawl? Creep?

I'm really looking for a good setup that is fast enough to be fun in high, but also gives me enough control to crawl in low when needed.
Before I got my 10.5T motor to play with, I used the Spin Super with a 17.5T, and I will probably re-solder new connections on it to swap out with my fast motor when I want. The Spin Super is an alright esc, but it lacks a lot of nice features. Even though I use my TH to bash and race with my slashes, I would still like a drag brake, which the LRP does not have. But with a 17.5T Sensored brushless motor, I had no real issues with being able to creep slow, nor do I with my 10.5T. And I even have my Shift servo disconnected since it fried and I haven't fitted my HiTec one in yet, though I imagine that will be pretty fun, too.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Running a Tekin Rs and a Orion V2 17.5 now.
5 degrees can timing.
ESC settings: 75% current limiter. 60% reverse power. 10 points timing. 15 points boost over 5k to 25k rpm. 70% drag brake.

I have a 32 tooth pinion gear and the motor never gets hot, just warm. I may gear it taller. It crawls nicely and has good wheel speed for blipping the throttle in first gear. Second gear isn't too tall and can be used to bash while hill climbing. I will probably keep gearing up. I have up to 37 tooth, I believe. I was racing blinky 17.5 buggy at ocrc for a while. Gotta have big ol pinions!

Or I may add more boost and watch temps.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

hey guys, I'm wondering if you guys think this esc/motor combo would work in the TH?

Novak Crusher 2S-4S Crawler Brushless Motor Combo (18.5T) [NOV3258] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #69

I use the LT4 in 3 of my rigs, Twin Hammers with Novak 13.5 and SCX10 with a Novak 13.5 and Losi 22 with a 17.5 not one problem in over a year. Great ESC for the price point. Love the use of the software.
vrgz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Does anyone have any experience with this set up?
Novak Timbuk2 Crawler Brushless ESC/Ballistic Crawler Brushless System (13.5T) [NOV3223] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
iacdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

I'd like really like to run 3S set up but still have great slow control for crawling
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by razors 33 View Post
I'd like really like to run 3S set up but still have great slow control for crawling
As long as you're sensored it'll be good to go. I have used everything from 5000KV to 1800KV setups. It's really almost more dependent on the ESC for low speed control than the motor itself.

I personally run most of my rigs in the 2400KV area on 3-4S and gear accordingly. The 18.5t you posted is going to be hard to get enough wheel speed from without throwing a bunch of volts at it.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks

Can you recommend a good set up that is well balanced for crawling and better than stock speed?

I have plenty of 3S 2200's I like to use if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
As long as you're sensored it'll be good to go. I have used everything from 5000KV to 1800KV setups. It's really almost more dependent on the ESC for low speed control than the motor itself.

I personally run most of my rigs in the 2400KV area on 3-4S and gear accordingly. The 18.5t you posted is going to be hard to get enough wheel speed from without throwing a bunch of volts at it.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by razors 33 View Post
Ok thanks

Can you recommend a good set up that is well balanced for crawling and better than stock speed?

I have plenty of 3S 2200's I like to use if possible

Everyone seems to be on the ROC412 bandwagon right now, which isn't bad. But IMO this much power is difficult to drive with. I use a Novak Ballistic 550 8.5T 2400KV in mine running 2100mah 3S lipos and I LOVE this. It honestly puts me in about the same power range as a ROC412 even though it's a 550 because it's only 2 pole, but it runs cooler than a 540 size can due to the surface area difference, there's just more available heat-transfer area. I was also in constant fear of breaking my transmission, and even with the upgraded gears you're still transmitting the power through a plastic part on it's way out of the trans and no one has addressed this problem yet.

For a brief period I ran a 3300kv 2 pole and I was extremely pleased with the wheel speed in 2nd gear and it was as crawlable as a non sensored brushless can get in 1st gear. I'm sure if I had a sensored motor in this range it would be fantastic. I would shoot for somewhere around it as a sweet spot. My driving style and locations require brutal, on demand torque for jumping over the rocks I can't climb over, this is why I choose to run lower in the KV and gear it for the wheel speed I want.

Unless you're honestly willing to throw too much money at a TWH, I'd stick with a 3300kv ish 2 pole. Really, there's so many good companies out there you can just pick one in your budget range and go with it other than maybe avoiding Novak brushless speed controllers. I wouldn't hesitate to get a HobbyWing LT4 a decent sensored motor, but I won't buy anything other than an Mamaba Max Pro for something this size. I've had fantastic luck with them. I have 4 rigs with them currently, one of which has had the same electronics in it for almost 3 years and gets driven hard.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 09-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

ok, so a 3300 kv, 2 pole motor sensored and appropriate esc is in order.

Tags
basher, brushless, castle, novak, twin hammers