RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Twin Hammers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/)
-   -   Whats your favorite tire/foam set up so far? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/430532-whats-your-favorite-tire-foam-set-up-so-far.html)

ProjectSCX10 02-22-2013 09:27 AM

Whats your favorite tire/foam set up so far?

Lets break it down favorite set up for speed/bashing and trailing/crawling.

GO! "thumbsup"

POST Pics as well!

Big Mike 02-22-2013 11:00 AM

Re: Whats your favorite tire/foam set up so far?

My .02 - For an OEM tire on an RTR, I'd have to say these are probably the best I've seen.

The size, tread pattern and profile are perfect for this type of rig, and the performance certainly does not leave anything to be desired. I'll be leaving mine stock for the foreseeable future I think.

I've been thinking aluminum beadlocks would be too heavy for it - but - a set of the multi-piece 1.9 Vanquish OMF wheels would look so amazing on it though. I wonder how much they weigh??

Sethmetal 02-22-2013 11:20 AM

I agree with Mike.

I was expecting to do tires early on. After a week of driving it, I'm gonna save my money.

A softer compound would be nicer for more crawling. The front end is not a responsive articulator because of stiff coils and friction in the cantilever mechanism. So, I wouldn't build one purely for crawling.

As an all around tire, these are hard to beat.

cboggs 02-22-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Mike (Post 4195300)
I've been thinking aluminum beadlocks would be too heavy for it - but - a set of the multi-piece 1.9 Vanquish OMF wheels would look so amazing on it though. I wonder how much they weigh??

2.5oz with hubs. With PitBull tires it weighs 5.4oz vs stock wheel/tire at 3.7oz.

jkwrangler08 02-22-2013 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm running 2.2 Proline Hammers with Rover foams on 1" wide SLW4's. They are a bit heavier than stock (SLW's are around 3oz each). The tires are a bit taller (4.93") and a bit wider (1.9") than stock (4.3" x 1.5"). They are certainly softer and work great on the rocks and also in the snow today. The stock tires were just a tad to narrow and they just dug into the snow and the truck high centered. With the hammers I was able to stay on top of the snow.

I do more rock crawling/racing than bashing. It's running a HH BRXL, 3s, HH Crawlmaster 13t. I've also got the locker in the front. With this configuration it's slower than the stock setup. As an alternate setup I'll be ordering a 13t HH torque master that will put the speed up over the stock setup. :twisted:

ProjectSCX10 02-22-2013 04:55 PM

Nice to know about the stock tires! I would have never guessed. RTR tires always leave more to be desired! I might just get some black Axial 8 hole wheels and use the inner bead rings all the way around. I'll eventually change the tires up, just cause I can't leave anything stock, haha. Such a blessing and a curse.....

Keep posting pics as well. I'm loving seeing different tires on the twin hammers!

Big Mike 02-22-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboggs (Post 4195432)
2.5oz with hubs. With PitBull tires it weighs 5.4oz vs stock wheel/tire at 3.7oz.

Thank you, they don't list a weight on their site. That's lighter than I expected. A few extra oz.'s just might be worth that stunning appearance. They're the sexiest wheels on the market IMO...

wmartinlsmith 02-22-2013 06:46 PM

My setup consists of the stock tires with soft axial foam on proline titus beadlocks on axial aluminun lock on hexes.

Just enough give to take out the bounce the stock foams had and the proline is wider so it sits flatter.

Going to get tsl swampers with memory foam to install on the factory wheels.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...66853486_n.jpg
mine in foreground, jeff in backround, his setup is starcut factory foam with trimmed tires. no weight

SStone 02-22-2013 07:27 PM

The stock tires really aren't bad at all, once broken in.

getbent 02-22-2013 09:19 PM

Has anybody had any luck mounting rok lox tires on the stock wheels? I want to order them because I like the look, but i dont really want to order new wheels too. Thanks

foratm 02-23-2013 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Baja claws ttc tires, they grab in the snow like crazy!

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

foratm 02-23-2013 11:08 AM

The stock wheels have a huge groove for the beads bit a small rying that won't hold the baja claws because they have a smaller bead I guess. It was pretty frustrating having tires and just stripped all the others off to find out it won't work.

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ProjectSCX10 02-24-2013 09:12 AM

Yeah I've seen that the bead on the stock wheels and tires has a very large groove. I keep leaning towards keeping the stock wheels and tires together, then ordering some 1.9 axial 8 hole bead locks, and some 1.9 pitbull rock beasts with firm crawler innovation foams. Anyone running that setup?

ProjectSCX10 02-25-2013 03:26 PM

The Baja Claw TTC's are looking better and better! How do you guys think they woud perform, at speed, with some Crawler innovations Lil Nova Firm foams? I'm just concerned 4.75" could be too tall for speed.

foratm 02-28-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjectSCX10 (Post 4200596)
The Baja Claw TTC's are looking better and better! How do you guys think they woud perform, at speed, with some Crawler innovations Lil Nova Firm foams? I'm just concerned 4.75" could be too tall for speed.

At the stock speeds of the twin hammers the tire perform very well on lose ground or wet ground I haven't tried them on pavement of course. The tires have the stock foams in them too. I jumped it about 50 times at least with those tires they are a little bouncy even after venting but they work so well. If you are going for short course type speed I do not recommend them. They are extremely soft compound and stretch a lot under stress and you could probably lose the bead at crazy speeds.

tedo 02-28-2013 08:13 AM

Maxxis Trepadors. Really a huge improvement for crawling over stock.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...psb0551468.jpg

Norcal_GIT_r 02-28-2013 08:56 AM

I've been using ripsaw's stocks are pretty nice also.

ProjectSCX10 02-28-2013 09:37 AM

I've considered the Treps as well. 1.9 Ripsaws are too small for my taste. I'm looking at 4.5" minimum, haha.

Any word on Baja Claw TTC's with crawler innovation foams?

Francois 03-02-2013 02:37 PM

I want to keep tires and wheels stock but want some soft foam to improve crawling but problem is, I cannot find some because the rig is so light......who have an idea

ProjectSCX10 03-02-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois (Post 4209108)
I want to keep tires and wheels stock but want some soft foam to improve crawling but problem is, I cannot find some because the rig is so light......who have an idea

:evil: Don't try and hi-jack my thread. Try crawler innovations lil'nova foams....