Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Proline front shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Proline front shocks

Swapped out the front shocks for something that wont leak like the originals.
Running Proline rear shocks with blue/blue springs and 35wt on rear.
Running the short green springs with 15mm internal limits, 30wt oil on front
I now have a heap of room to sort out something with the steering , a new spot for some electrics as well.
Pissing with rain right now so I have only run it inside, no real difference noticed as yet. The shocks will cop a bit more abuse mounted here but its not a permanent swap if things go bad.

Bent up a piece of alloy plate and used the original shock pivot mounts. They clear everything really well, no rub issues.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Proline front shocks

Interested in its high speed handleing. Looks like there on a pretty sharp angle in pics

Last edited by tklatti; 03-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
20K Club

Seems like that would have a ton of falling rate.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

WAY too far past 90* at full bump. Set it up so that it bumps at 90* and then you will be on the right track.
Dave@threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I'm a Plumber and not a suspension guru so what I am doing is pretty much hit and miss.
Here is mod #2 , dunno if its getting closer to a rising rate but there isnt much adjustment left to do and try to keep it under the Exo front I usually run. This is just a mock up but you can see the full droop/compression with this position.
Dave@Threat could you explain in more detail the 90deg and what it refers to ? cheers.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, unfortunately I'm a Plumber and not a suspension guru so what I am doing is pretty much hit and miss.
Here is mod #2 , dunno if its getting closer to a rising rate but there isnt much adjustment left to do and try to keep it under the Exo front I usually run. This is just a mock up but you can see the full droop/compression with this position.
Dave@Threat could you explain in more detail the 90deg and what it refers to ? cheers.

Phase2 is looking better. Move those upper shock mounts out a tad further so that you are at about 90* with the arm at full compression.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

how about moving the mounts outside the body - under the rollbar and up higher...
BKcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKcrawler View Post
how about moving the mounts outside the body - under the rollbar and up higher...

Got too find your collapsed length at full bump at 90* to see where it ends up at. Doesnt look like it would work "correctly" mounted on the outside of the cage. Still going to be hard too get them at 90* though because I think the cage is right where they need to go. If he can get them mounted close though it will be good enough for a toy.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yep, that's as far out as the shocks will go without removing the outer rails. I have already hacked a couple of braces off the front cage to get them there. I'll make a whole new bracket and post a pic with the exo hood on. It sits a bit higher but still looks OK. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Dave: think this setup would save the top plates and tranny cases?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Those are proline rears for what? Looks like slash fronts to me.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yep, that's as far out as the shocks will go without removing the outer rails. I have already hacked a couple of braces off the front cage to get them there. I'll make a whole new bracket and post a pic with the exo hood on. It sits a bit higher but still looks OK. Thanks again for the feedback.

Sometimes you have too work with what you got but that should work pretty dang good. I get anal about shock mounting. On my EXO I could not stand the way Axial did the rear shock mounts so I had too step in and correct it. Works WAY better now! I come from a back ground on setting up 1:1 suspension on anything from a basic pre-runner too trophy trucks on a daily basis so I know a thing or two about what works and and what doesn't haha!

Last edited by Dave@threat; 03-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklatti View Post
Interested in its high speed handleing. Looks like there on a pretty sharp angle in pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Seems like that would have a ton of falling rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@threat View Post
WAY too far past 90* at full bump. Set it up so that it bumps at 90* and then you will be on the right track.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKcrawler View Post
Quote:
Got too find your collapsed length at full bump at 90* to see where it ends up at. Doesnt look like it would work "correctly" mounted on the outside of the cage. Still going to be hard too get them at 90* though because I think the cage is right where they need to go. If he can get them mounted close though it will be good enough for a toy.
If you want to find an ideal location, try this:

Take that front upper cage off. Put your sheet metal in place and mount the shock (with spring) to the arm. Move the suspension arm to full droop - within the limits of the dogbone end of the universal. Use a Sharpie/awl/whatever and draw an arc on the sheet metal through the upper hole in the shock.

Remove the shock spring, compress the shock, move the suspension arm to full bump - again, within the limits of the dogbone on the universal - and draw another arc.

See how it looks. I've done this with hydraulic cylinders to configure the mechanical limits of the cylinder with the mechanical limits of the steering knuckle and it worked perfect. I don't have a TH in front of me to mess with, so this idea is one that works in my head. Usually, if things work in my head, they work in practice as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 03-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Hydro suspension set ups vs Offroad suspension set ups are completely different animals.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Those are proline rears for what? Looks like slash fronts to me.
Yep, fronts on the front, rears on the rear. First post was a bit confusing
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

This is a very interesting change ,
but I have a question, what is the reason for this change?
1) Have the front suspension with a better functioning
2) Leave the space under the hood to install other items

I'm drawing a similar change, but after taking the measures I have noticed
that a large diameter shock like those that you use make it difficult to work.

Thanks in advance for your answers
maxbonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Massimo, to answer your questions,
1. Hopefully the performance will be better but the Proline shocks are worlds better than the originals so its a matter of tuning now. That and the fact that I cannot leave anything alone, gotta mod it !
2.The original setup looks too much like a Traxxas for my liking and I dont see any rocker activated shocks on KOH rigs. The extra space in the front is going to come in very handy, just dont know what I'm putting in there yet. I will be using your battery mod tho, looks very good, is it holding up OK ?
There is just enough room for the shocks in this position, if I run a single spring and run the collars down further there is plenty of room and no rubbing.

Here is tonites effort , the Exo front does look a bit goofy up high but I cant bring myself to hack it up. I did manage to get in about 10mins on it with this setup and no negative effects . Maybe a little undersprung but I have the proline tuning kit to sort that out.

What I removed and my replacements.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
think this setup would save the top plates and tranny cases that everyone is breaking?
Bump
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Hydro suspension set ups vs Offroad suspension set ups are completely different animals.
RC suspension and 1:1 suspension are different animals as well. We can't get away with some of the stuff we do with the RCs in the 1:1 world.

I never spoke of a hydro suspension, but hydro steering. The idea is the same, build the system so that the mechanical limits of all the components is reached at the same time.

What I'm telling him is something to try that won't result in over-extension or bottoming out of his shocks before the suspension has reached its limit of travel. It's a safe mechanical setup for someone that's experimenting.

The last thing I'd want to do is give advice that will result in blown shocks because I've told the guy to simply chase a number. He also needs to build to mechanical limits.

Northkona,

The 90 degree setup is "ideal". You're not always going to reach that, and that's OK.

There's a great explanation of what Dave is talking about here:

Shock placement in relation to Suspension movement

And there's a great explanation and diagram of a properly configured shock with suspension. Notice they didn't chase 90 degrees, but built to the mechanical limits of the components.

Shoptalkforums.com • View topic - Rear Shock Geometry Question?

Quote:
From everything I have read and been told about setting up shocks is that you want them as close as possible to 90 to the arm at full compression. If you know you max bump & max droop on your arm, you can figure out where the upper mounts need to go.

Get piece of cardboard or plywood behind the top end of the shocks.

First set the arm at full droop, and draw an arc at the upper end of the shock.

next, compress the arm to max and the shocks too. Draw another arc at the top of the shocks, and where they intersect is where your upper mount should go.

Here is a picture i did when I was setting mine up.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 03-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
RC suspension and 1:1 suspension are different animals as well. We can't get away with some of the stuff we do with the RCs in the 1:1 world.
I was going to say the same thing, we can damn near get away with murder with suspension design on our RC's.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote