Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Brushed motor selection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Default Brushed motor selection?

I want to change out my motor and I have been looking into the holmes hobbies th edition motor and it looks to be a good choice for what I want and its in my price range just wanted to get some opinions before I order sunday night.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
novacayne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Brushed motor selection?

If you are staying brushed you cant go wrong with an HH motor. I have an HH 35 turn in mine since thats what i had on hand . Working good but i wouldnt mind a bit more speed like 27 or 30 turn
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The 13t TH is a 2s motor from HH. I've had issues on 3s with a 20t pinion. But it is very fast.
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm 3s fwiw
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

I would love to go 3s in it but I want to retain the esc for as long as I can wonder why he only recommends 2s on the motor and if a timing change would fix that.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am running a BRXL and HH 13T in my daughters TH. It is a pretty high maintenance motor to be installing in something like the TH. Needless to say, it quits about every twenty minutes. All on 2S. I will be setting her up with a reliable brushless combo soon. I will say, that when it decides to work it is bad ass compared to the stock motor.

Nothing against Holmes, but its just too much hassle when paired with the amount of work required to pull the tranny and motor out of the TH.

AND, buried in the catacombs of Holmes site it states that a fast brushed motor may need a rebuild after every run. Why that is not posted on the product page for the TH motor is beyond me... Had I realized that I would have not bothered.

Last edited by SStone; 04-14-2013 at 05:31 AM.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I have 4 packs (about 3.5 hours) threw the HH 13t motor with a BRXL. Running 3s.

Have not had 1 problem. Very happy with the speed and smooth low end. I also have a few packs of brushes from Holmes, and a brush swap is nothing. Shit, I used to tear down and rebuild my truggy every week after a weekend of racing. Mild maintenance is not a problem for me.

I highly recommend the BRXL and 13t combo. Just order some extra brushes when you order.
tedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Swapping brushes isn't the problem, but the soft, tiny, shitty, hardware on the TH is what makes it such a PITA. It would be nice if there was no pan and the tranny could be mounted in a "drop-down" fashion, eliminating the need to mess with removing the cage. Tedo, it seems like you have it a bit easier with the MG200 cage as far as disassembly goes but I may be wrong. Oh well, I'm going to order some brushes and keep trying. Guess her rig just has bad luck. My MMP and Tekin 13.5t combo in my TH has been running issue-free for well over a month now, aside from B-wire coming loose once, solved that and not a hiccup since... Probably 35-40 hours of run time on that setup at least.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStone View Post
I am running a BRXL and HH 13T in my daughters TH. It is a pretty high maintenance motor to be installing in something like the TH. Needless to say, it quits about every twenty minutes. All on 2S. I will be setting her up with a reliable brushless combo soon. I will say, that when it decides to work it is bad ass compared to the stock motor.

Nothing against Holmes, but its just too much hassle when paired with the amount of work required to pull the tranny and motor out of the TH.

AND, buried in the catacombs of Holmes site it states that a fast brushed motor may need a rebuild after every run. Why that is not posted on the product page for the TH motor is beyond me... Had I realized that I would have not bothered.
Ok care to explain why you are having to tear it down and what parts are worn?
I have a 13t and brxl waterproof in my wraith and it is nothing like that.
Id love to do a brushless but its just not in my price range that I want to spend.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
Ok care to explain why you are having to tear it down and what parts are worn?
I have a 13t and brxl waterproof in my wraith and it is nothing like that.
Id love to do a brushless but its just not in my price range that I want to spend.

The HH13T hasn't been in any mud or water, and will never see it. BRXL is waterproof (factory) and has seen some muddy puddles, although it has not been submerged. After she saw how muddy everything got while she was testing out the BRXL and the stock motor, she said that she doesn't like mud and never wants to drive in it again .

I'm not sure why hers is in a constant state of disrepair.
It just decided to quit after a couple hours. Gear mesh = good, drivetrain = bind free and will roll smoothly in both gears. It doesn't even get hot, just randomly quits and then you just tap near the brushes and it works again. It doesn't show symptoms of a bad armature AFAIK... rolling it while applying throttle does nothing, so that shows there's not a dead spot. Not a huge deal and probably a simple fix but it's just a bummer to have to pull it apart all the time. Maybe I just got a dud? It seems to happen to me quite frequently. I'm going to try new brushes and go from there.

Anyways, I should have just kept my mouth shut in the first place instead of thread jacking.

Last edited by SStone; 04-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Swapping brushes isn't the problem, but the soft, tiny, shitty, hardware on the TH is what makes it such a PITA. It would be nice if there was no pan and the tranny could be mounted in a "drop-down" fashion, eliminating the need to mess with removing the cage. Tedo, it seems like you have it a bit easier with the MG200 cage as far as disassembly goes but I may be wrong. Oh well, I'm going to order some brushes and keep trying. Guess her rig just has bad luck. My MMP and Tekin 13.5t combo in my TH has been running issue-free for well over a month now, aside from B-wire coming loose once, solved that and not a hiccup since... Probably 35-40 hours of run time on that setup at least.
I hear ya. Trenton's cage comes of in 8 m3 screws (4 in the bottom of the pan, 2 in the rear shock mounting tubes, and 2 in the front skid. It's pretty easy.

I had the MMP and 13.5 in there first, but with the BEC, sensor wire, and 3 motor wires, it was a bird's nest. Even cleaned up and zip tied. Plus I really wanted a waterproof setup as New England can get pretty messy. I have plati dipped servos before, but didn't want to take the chance with the redline motor...

I have ran HH motors in my 1.9 R1, my old Wraith, and my 2.2 weRock buggy, and only had to do brush changes ( so far... Knock on wood). I am very happy with the performance in all the motors.

That said, they will always need maintenance, compared to a sweet brushless setup, but I guess I am trading waterproof, and smooth low end. That 13t on 3s still tops out in the high 20mph range, which is damn fast for a scaler.

It's a fun rig, and I hope manufactures will start making the upgrades we need.

I also don't rail on my rigs. If I am ever in a bind, I NEVER throttle it out. I am a pretty carefull driver. My old stampede was a different story. I would jump that thing off of roof tops, but those are 100% dedicated bashers. My scale rigs are peaceful enjoyments!
tedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
I hear ya. Trenton's cage comes of in 8 m3 screws (4 in the bottom of the pan, 2 in the rear shock mounting tubes, and 2 in the front skid. It's pretty easy.

I had the MMP and 13.5 in there first, but with the BEC, sensor wire, and 3 motor wires, it was a bird's nest. Even cleaned up and zip tied. Plus I really wanted a waterproof setup as New England can get pretty messy. I have plati dipped servos before, but didn't want to take the chance with the redline motor...

I have ran HH motors in my 1.9 R1, my old Wraith, and my 2.2 weRock buggy, and only had to do brush changes ( so far... Knock on wood). I am very happy with the performance in all the motors.

That said, they will always need maintenance, compared to a sweet brushless setup, but I guess I am trading waterproof, and smooth low end. That 13t on 3s still tops out in the high 20mph range, which is damn fast for a scaler.

I also don't rail on my rigs. If I am ever in a bind, I NEVER throttle it out. I am a pretty carefull driver. My old stampede was a different story. I would jump that thing off of roof tops, but those are 100% dedicated bashers. My scale rigs are peaceful enjoyments!
SSTONE your not thread jacking l started this thread to get opinions.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post

Yeah mine is definitely a birds nest with the all of the wires and I agree, having a BEC in there along with everything else really makes it cramped.

I would be happier with a waterproof setup, but I know my bearings and other internal metal parts are thanking me for keeping them dry. My old SCX10 was waterproofed and it was a blast being able to submarine but I was always losing bearings to corrosion.

Sadly if the aftermarket can't pick up the pace and give us some beefier front Diff parts, I will be building a 2.2 IFS rig and retiring my TH to a parts source for the daughters rig. Neither my TH or my daughters have been pushed through any serious binds. When that happens we don't mind using the hand of god or foot of persuasion. It's worth it to save parts. All my broken parts have been from bouncing on the rocks.

About to place an order for a couple more pairs of Holmes' brushes and a spare set of springs. Not sure which spring rate to get though...

EDIT - Nevermind on the spring rate. The 13T uses "X" springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacayne75 View Post
SSTONE your not thread jacking l started this thread to get opinions.
Well I just feel kinda like an idiot saying (not so good) stuff about the HH13T. Seems like everyone else has been having good luck with them. I'm gonna order some spare parts and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by SStone; 04-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I bought a HH 13T and loved it my first couple of runs. Then the car stalled after kicking it softly it ran again. Stalling problem due to dirt getting between the brushes and stator. I would not buy a brushed motor anymore since it cost me $52. Sold it for $20 I guess live and learn. I'm a newbie and I hate taking apart that motor compartment. Brushless=worryless
Blinkfan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan5150 View Post
I bought a HH 13T and loved it my first couple of runs. Then the car stalled after kicking it softly it ran again. Stalling problem due to dirt getting between the brushes and stator. I would not buy a brushed motor anymore since it cost me $52. Sold it for $20 I guess live and learn. I'm a newbie and I hate taking apart that motor compartment. Brushless=worryless
Thats gonna happen with any brushed motor and yea brushless would be nice but I have a lot of hobbys and a few other rigs and im not going to let this one be a money pit so im gonna stick to what I can get to my door for around $50

Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't hate disassembling it, Im just not a fan of constant wear and tear on the smaller hardware on the cage that is caused by repetitively removing and reinstalling it.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #17

Ok so I just pulled the trigget on a hh torkmaster sport twin hammers edition. I also ordered 2 sets of brushes for spares.
Ill give some feedback after a little bashing with 2.2 tsls in water

Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I use a 27t motor with a 26t pinion and love it!!!! No issues yet, best combo IMO!!!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
I have the 13T and the brxl setup and love it when it works. I emailed them and he said it might be something getting in between the brushes. I have 3 runs and not even 1 full battery charge through mine. I will mess with it when I get home from the other coast next week and report back. By the way, they do not have any phone support as I asked if I could call next week so they could walk me through diagnosis. For spending the $175 on the entire setup I would have hoped for at least that.
Just2Much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I have a feeling that stiffer brush springs would help keep dirt out better. At the expense of more wear on the brushes and comm. I need to get a Comm lathe for her 13t but after that, the BRXL an the 13t + spare parts combined she could have had an outstanding brushless setup.

Oh well. Once I find her a 2S brushless setup I will be saving the brxl for a future build.

One other thing to mention, I remember years back, reading 2010 TTC builds on here... Seemed like alot of people were using single digit turn HH Pullers through mud, water, on top of all the dry grit. Never remember anyone having the same problems we are with the HH13T. Aka having to tap the endbell every twenty minutes to get it moving again.

Brushed motor selection? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor selection help reddevildemo Electronics 2 05-10-2012 10:55 AM
Motor Selection outkast7222 Team Losi Comp Crawler 52 10-23-2011 06:26 PM
Need Help with Motor Selection!!! TorchedMach1 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 03-22-2011 10:45 PM
Motor Selection newb Traxxas Crawlers 8 06-22-2009 05:16 PM
Motor selection Zippin Electronics 9 09-21-2006 06:46 PM