Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Honeymoons over,,,,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Honeymoons over,,,,,

Still in love?

Now that it's been out for a few months any regrets? Pet peeves? Praises? Biggest issues (besides shift servo)?
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #2

Thumbs up Re: Honeymoons over,,,,,

IMO it's a good rtr truck with a lot of room for expansion. I have already changed all the steering parts out, but bone stock the thing is fun albeit a bit underpowered in terms of electronics. The motor is a little underpowered for crawling, but keep in mind this is not a dedicated crawler like an XR10. I have enjoyed it and its been a good truck for me to branch out from rally cars and start building/ tearing apart and tweaking. I have loved it and can't wait till the Lady looks like a real KotH truck.
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Honeymoons over,,,,,

If I had it to do over again I would.

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Agree with all of the above..a little underpowered stock, but a brushless conversion solved that. Otherwise, it's been very durable and a ton of fun! One of my favourite rigs.
94smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Def still love mine! Even more so after brushless and other upgrades
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I still like mine, took it on a trail run recently with about 20 other scalers(scx/wraith/tf2/tamiya) Did great, alot of people were impressed. Im running axial 1.9s with mthead rings, pitbulls, front locker, wraith shocks in rear, relocated spare, and a viper combo. Its definitely one ill be keeping.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i like mine but hate the hardware used. i wasnt a big fan of the cantilever front suspension so i switched over to a mg200 shock hoop mount. now looking into making it a little wider.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love mine for its versatile use. I've had mine since they came out. I've done plenty of small crawling ,bashing sessions and even raced it at the local track. Yesterday I finally got a good 7 hour shake down run on it. It far exceeded my expectations. Even my friends and fellow peeps were impressed on how it did. Ive been playing with different rockers from mini slash and summit. I like the long travel from the summit and its made the front end really plush. Also the only stock electronic that got left in it was the shift servo and its still going strong...
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Yes. Still going strong. Have about a 20 hours on it, and loving it. I even still have my stock steering and shift servo! I figured I would bash them until they give out. Still holding up (even though, the steering servo is super weak compaired to my 7955s). But, whatever its a basher.

Really versatile truck. Been waiting for one of these my whole life.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The whole package is pretty awesome. It's my first rc rig since selling my 3.3 T-Maxx (done with nitro, and never looking back!!!) The semi-scaleness is a really cool feature, and now I've nearly lost all interest in those stupid monster trucks (revo, tmaxx, savage, etc... of which have no significant similarities to their full scale counterparts)

Pros:
-Sturdy (relatively speaking)
-Different (gets plenty of compliments)
-Affordable (out of box)
-Long run-times (even on the stock battery, even more so with 4000mAh)
-Versatile

Cons:
-Top heavy (likes to rollover)
-Steering rack (sloppy, and highly susceptible to binding)
-Stock electronics and radio are mediocre at best (but fine for a rtr)

Since going sensored brushless it's a totally different beast, and it's very impressive.
MachtSchnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have to say that since I bought my two Twin Hammers I haven't touched my Wraith or my two short course trucks. The Hammers are a lot of fun!

Chris
Baja Bandido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Great to know guys! Keep it coming!
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #13

I'll be the odd ball then the other week mine was up for sale and i had no takers at all ..So it looks like there's not much demand in the UK..The downside for me is its size its not really much bigger than a mini revo so a little on the small size ..I hate the leaky shocks and never ending battle with internal gears and the constant breakage of driveshafts ..Servo's are crap and the steering is in need of a major overhaul great for a while but the love soon wears .. So now i'm stuck with it i have 2 options spend as much as it cost if not more to get it half sorted or just leave it on the shelf as a book end..

I'm starting to think this is a piss poor rc to be honest and a waste of money .. sorry but that's how i feel about it at this minute in time
mydoddy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

I'm having fun with mine still. I've broken the front shock mount, shift servo, and I snapped the rear drive shaft. I'm running brushless, and have it setup to be quick. I used it in a crawler comp this weekend and it did really well consider I don't have the front locked. I think to be successful with it, you have to drive it like a KOTH's style vehicle; quick, aggresive, and not affraid to hammer it.

I'm still on the fence with the rear sway bars, I like them for speed, torque control and how they make the front work, but I love getting that articulation in the rocks without them.

But yes, overall I am very happy!
Coastie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
N.E.R.C.C Uncle Blinky

love this little rig..and i still have the stock shift servo Drail
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I just tuned mine

Upgraded steering servo and waterproofed
Replaced spur
Added front locker
Added rear sway bar

This is, the first week I, am running mine in spring like conditions, ie, no snow and I am liking it. Battling with the rear sway though and front spring rates to try and find a happy medium.
razors 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Mine still has all stock electronics (even the shift servo) King faux-piggybacks and rear sway bar, and I'm still having a blast with it. They're a lot of fun.

It's kept me from wanting to repair the broken axle in my 1:6th Jeep, a task I am not looking forward to...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #18

I've had mine for about 3 weeks and then winter seemed to hit again so I haven't been able to drive it a whole lot. I do love it though. I think it is a great all-around vehicle. It can do a lot of different things from crawling to jumping to trail running to straight up bashing, and it can be built to do any of these pretty well. That is what I like about it so much.
youthmanrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Gonna have to say best RC ever, I've raced 1/8th 1/10th scale buggy, Comp Crawled, had every Monster truck possible, rally cars, Road Cars, you name it. The Hammer is AWESOME. I upgraded to Tekin RS/13.5 sensored and a 7955 and that's that's it. Thing is tough, I've beat the shit out of this truck and I've broke it but with what I've done I expect it to break
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

It is a really durable rig for sure

Just finished beating the rat piss out of mine
razors 33 is offline   Reply With Quote