RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Twin Hammers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/)
-   -   Twin Hammers Questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/441903-twin-hammers-questions.html)

Genghis Ken 04-27-2013 11:22 AM

Twin Hammers Questions

What is it exactly, a crawler that can go fast or a go fast buggy that can crawl.
can it be made to crawl well like a dedicated crawler or is it more of a trail type crawling rig.
How does putting in the lockers affect it when its being used for high speed runs?
Just getting a handle on whether I want to get one.

401cj 04-28-2013 01:03 PM

Re: Twin Hammers Questions

this was scale after king of the hammer buggies that complete every feb in johnson valley ca. in the actual race it's 160 miles some desert racing 100+ mph n then rock crawling courses then back to desert racing n so on for the entire race. the twin hammers is an rc designed after that. the design is very simlar to Shannon Campbell buggy, who is a 2 time chasmpion in the 6 or 7 year history of this race. To get into the race you must qualify at another event to come about 120-140 rigs run race but a small fraction actually cross the finish line. So yes it is either you said depending on what you want. I've seen a lot of build ups for more speed mine is for more crawling. Very capable out of the box but where u go from there is up to u.

Genghis Ken 04-28-2013 05:41 PM

Thanks for the response, I ended up pulling the trigger on one. I unboxed it today.

89XJ 04-29-2013 03:06 PM

I'm in the same boat you were. I love my ax10 but have been very tempted by the Twin Hammers. Let me know what your impressions are. I had a slash and got bored with it, just don't wanna make that mistake again.

Genghis Ken 04-29-2013 04:29 PM

It seems very nice, I have to recalibrate the end points on the shifting servo but after that I'll be able to give you a full driving report.

happydood 04-30-2013 04:47 AM

I have had my twin hammers since they first came out. My hammers is still mainly stock except for the junfac piggybacks supporting the back end. I love this rig. I ran the locker in it for a while and found that I was breaking dog bones at an alarming rate, so I went to a 500 000 wt diff oil and it's made all the difference. This thing has been bullet proof for me. Even if I submerge it, it keeps on ticking. I'm looking forward to upgrading the electronics. More torque and more speed. Just what the doctor ordered.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/30/my8uzy8u.jpg

Genghis Ken 04-30-2013 08:49 AM

Today I took the body off and reset the endpoints for the shifter servo. No more buzzing and free movement of the ball cup. Thank goodness for Rich's tutorial and Badger for posting stickying it. Several of my other vehicles use Savox servos and they are noisy practically all the time. I would have fried the shifter servo if I hadn't known to reset the end points.
While I was at it I took a peek at the suspension and steering. I noticed that the servo posts move a fair amount on the steering. So whatever the torque rating on the servo is, some of its being wasted moving the servo mounts. I think one of my first mods will be switching to the aluminum steering servo mounts. Ok out to play =) I'll let you know my thoughts after a thorough thrashing.

Genghis Ken 04-30-2013 10:53 AM

Drat, Drat, Drat, Drat. the upper kingpin for the front spindle on the left hand side is missing! I took it out in front of my house for a shakedown and the left wheel was wobbling all over the place! I had a closer look and lo and behold it was missing. Sigh. I took the cage off and had a look for other missing parts or screws but that was the only part that I saw. The good news is I called Horizon and got right through to their surface line and they are sending the replacement parts ASAP. While I was at it I took a look at the steering end points to see if the servo was moving the mounts because it was impeded from max travel. It seems turning right is ok but left hand travel needed to be limited, I'll be taking a closer look as to why this afternoon.