Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers

Tried to get away from the traditional stock body panels with the metallic gray paint and green strip that runs along the side. I fabricated my own stainless steel body panels.

Done so far:
- Stainless steel body panels
- Mamba Max Pro ESC w/cheap 17.5T brushless
- Tonight (5/6/13) will be adding Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster 13T Expert motor
- MG200 front shock modification with Axial 90mm shocks w/40WT oil
- 60WT oil in rear shocks
- 1.55 RC4WD iRoks tires / 1.9 Pitbull tires (depends on what I feel like running)
- Savox steering servo
- Moved steering servo to replace shift servo

More to come soon...

Here video in slow motion. It's kind of long, about 9 minutes. Enjoy!
Savage00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers

We need to get these out again, mines almost back together. Just have to finish up wiring in winch/lights
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
We need to get these out again, mines almost back together. Just have to finish up wiring in winch/lights
I agree. I'll be putting the HH Torquemaster and 32 pitch spur gears in tonight. I need to give it a good shakedown to see how hot my esc and motor gets.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Added a new Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster 13T and added a heat-sink with fan just for safe measure. Will hopefully be able to get her out this weekend to test her out. Also added the Losi Kevlar 51 tooth 32 pitch spur gear (perfect match for slipper pads) and a 15 tooth pinion.

Last edited by Savage00; 05-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

nice TW you have there..
the tires you are running... 1.55 RC4WD iRoks tires .. what are those mounted on??

.. I have the 1.9 iRoks on Axial 8hole beadlocks.. the tire is awesome and have great grip... but to me they make my hammer look cartoonish with the tall tires...
ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

one other question.. that roof with the LED's is just wicked
looking.. is that a mod you did youself, or did you buy that some place and then mod it... which ever.. I want one..
Old 05-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The roof is a dinky rc product. I have one also. Cant tell you which led's they are though.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
The roof is a dinky rc product. I have one also. Cant tell you which led's they are though.

thanks for the info.. found them just b4 i read this reply. The LEDs they have are a tape strip that was cheap enough to give a try. The LEDs that Savage00 has on his are much better looking.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntruder View Post
thanks for the info.. found them just b4 i read this reply. The LEDs they have are a tape strip that was cheap enough to give a try. The LEDs that Savage00 has on his are much better looking.

They are either mad dog or crawlerdad leds, I cant remember
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntruder View Post
Thanks for the compliment!
Yes, the roof is the Dinky RC roof. The LED strip that comes with it broke 30 seconds after I took it out of the package. The wires that come out of the strip are not secured very well, if you try to manipulate the wires at a sharp bend close to the base of the strip you can tear the solder joint along with the copper trace right out of the LED strip. So what I did was purchase two of CrawlerDad's 2" LED light bars and mounted them inside the Dinky RC roof, then very carefully with a Dremel cut out the openings for the light to come through.

The only thing I don't like about Dinky RC roof is the it has a high profile and if you roll your rig the roof light housing gets the brunt of the impact and gets boogered up really bad. It will start to look terrible real quick. It also gets hung up on rocks if you wedge between boulders. Besides those issues it looks awesome in my opinion.

As for the 1.55 wheels, they're RC4WD Stamped Steel beadlocks.

Last edited by Savage00; 05-09-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking of using that cooling fan/heat sink. glad to know it fits.
riskyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage00 View Post
Yes, the roof is the Dinky RC roof. The LED strip that comes with it broke 30 seconds after I took it out of the package. The wires that come out of the strip are not secured very well, if you try to manipulate the wires at a sharp bend close to the base of the strip you can tear the solder joint along with the copper trace right out of the LED strip. So what I did was purchase two of CrawlerDad's 2" LED light bars and mounted them inside the Dinky RC roof, then very carefully with a Dremel cut out the openings for the light to come through.

The only thing I don't like about Dinky RC roof is the it has a high profile and if you roll your rig the roof light housing gets the brunt of the impact and gets boogered up really bad. It will start to look terrible real quick. It also gets hung up on rocks if you wedge between boulders. Besides those issues it looks awesome in my opinion.

Thanks for the info on the LED's.. might have to oder a set.. I ordered 2 roofs yesterday.. should be here in a couple of days...

Question about the roof... does the roof light housing stand taller that the stock roof with the light buckets? I'm not too worreid about getting hung up on boulders.. I'm more into hill climbing, trail riding and some light yard bashing.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I would say It doesn't stick up any further than the stock roof. As far as the way it looks, it is my personal favorite looking roof so far.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage00 View Post

I had the same thing happen to mine, what i did was expose the 2 copper soldertabs in the middle of the strip and soldered new wire to them. works great, also makes for a cleaner install because it forces you to make the wire holes in the middle of the bar hiding the wires.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukescb7 View Post
I had the same thing happen to mine, what i did was expose the 2 copper soldertabs in the middle of the strip and soldered new wire to them. works great, also makes for a cleaner install because it forces you to make the wire holes in the middle of the bar hiding the wires.
Yeah, I tried cutting the silicone back to expose the copper to re-solder the wire but screwed up and cut the copper lead. Not the best with razors, so I gave up and tossed it.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking TH, cool vid. Like the music, who is that?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I'm running a Novak 17.5 on 3s. How do you like your truck with the 13t HH vs a brushless system?
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wlsmoku's twinny twin wlsmoku Vaterra Twin Hammers 26 06-05-2013 04:01 AM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM
twin hammers khoods Newbie General 11 04-22-2013 05:44 PM
Twin Hammers are in!!! tunnalram North Dakota 0 02-11-2013 04:08 PM