Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: What wheel travel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What wheel travel?

I was shocked when I actually measured the vertical wheel travel on the front of my TH. Just 1.4 (optimistic) inches. Even my 1/16 Revo has 2 inches.
I measured ~2.6" in the rear FWIW
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What wheel travel?

Yep, and it isn't exactly quality travel either. But if you went and put a pair of b4.1front arms and shock tower on it, the truck doesn't look very scale then.

I'd like to have a pair of mini upright air shocks. Progressive spring rate, light and scale looks. Then you could run something like a kyosho baby-gold for a shock absorber and have something that still looks scale and performs much better.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible View Post
put a pair of b4.1front arms and shock tower on it, the truck doesn't look very scale then.
Whaaaaat? Associated arms will fit? (pardon my ignorance, I'm still green when it comes to this stuf)

Would one find quality set of aftermarket CVDs that would work? Fabbing a suitable shock tower is no problemo.

My vision of scale is warped by function so I'm not at all concerned about that
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It looks to me like the problem is a poor front end design. The axleshafts aren't parallel with the lower arms so the dogbone has to move a lot. My twammer is getting max front travel that the stock design dogbones will allow, and yes it really isn't all that much travel. And the vertical shock setups I've seen have even less travel, even with 95mm shocks
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm referring to the possibility of longer arms to increase travel and reduce drive line angles. That's the bottom line, same as a 1:1. My interest is not scale but performance
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
I'm referring to the possibility of longer arms to increase travel and reduce drive line angles. That's the bottom line, same as a 1:1. My interest is not scale but performance
Ditto same here. Although there's no reason it could'nt still look scale, at least as scale as it does stock. Also has anyone came up with a part # for good shocks that will replace the leaky stock front ones?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Ditto same here. Although there's no reason it could'nt still look scale, at least as scale as it does stock.
That's exactly how I see it - some people (scale purists?) have a kinda twisted view of what scale should be (yet they drive 237 scale MPH - ha)
Anyway, no biggie it's not a right or wrong thing. I wanna add 6 scale inches to make the front end work and stay together, just like a 1:1. Now If I only knew how to pull it off.......

What wheel travel? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More travel?? CrawlinOnAbudget Axial SCX-10 3 05-14-2013 11:06 PM
Not Too much travel ?! Q8 RC Tamiya CR-01 16 08-06-2008 07:48 PM
How much up travel do you have? Jneves Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 04-25-2006 09:05 PM
down travel Traxxas Crawlers 6 05-23-2004 03:48 AM