Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers
Loading

Notices

Thread: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Upgraded the steering servo this week. As soon as I saw the Holmes Trailmaster BLS HV400 I knew this was the servo for me. The specs are very impressive. It is a huge improvement over the stock one.... night and day difference in speed and torque and thats running it with the weak built in BEC in the MMP. I plan to add a Castle 5amp BEC in the near future and bump up the voltage a bit.

For now I am going to continue to run the stock shifting servo as I have had no problems with it.




wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sandy
Posts: 64
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

wheelbyte u inspired me to get a roc412 3100, this motor is amazing SOOO much power but i dont need to tell u that lol ty sir
Hoser1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Added a few more things.....wife stoked me out on Vday and got me a Gift Certificate to RPP.

MIP X-Duty driveshaft
Vanquish RIGID INDUSTRIES 4" LED light bar Silver & mounts
Vanquish caster blocks and steering knuckles




wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ukiah
Posts: 279
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

This has to be one of the nicest TH on this site (or anywhere that I know of) and it keeps getting better. Just awesome!
kookie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 234
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Very nice build!
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 12
Default

This is a sweet looking Hammer! Great job!
happydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Made it out and finished to my first RECON G6 this Sat at the Taters & Kilt event @ Rollins Lake. It was a blast!!! My rig made it through the 100+ gates with no breakage and the brushless setup with stock gearing I did it on 1 1/2 2200mAh 3s packs.

I did notice in a few areas where even with the 500k diff fluid up front it was not enough.... next event I might try locking it up. I also gotta get my drag brake set up better. Other than that I was pretty happy on my rigs performance.





wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 146
Default

Sweet Hammer my friend!!! I just got one myself. I ran it with my club yesterday for the first time. It did really well. Its a fun rig.

This is Ford country, on a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rust.
n8welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmichael
Posts: 168
Default

What size shock are you running next to the king shock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecool54@yahoo View Post
What size shock are you running next to the king shock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Both shocks in the rear are 110mm. Kings & RC4WD ultimate scale. I'm running the RC4WD ultimate scale as dampners only I have removed the internal springs and filed them with 20wt oil.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:40 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: aurora
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbyte View Post
Made it out and finished to my first RECON G6 this Sat at the Taters & Kilt event @ Rollins Lake. It was a blast!!! My rig made it through the 100+ gates with no breakage and the brushless setup with stock gearing I did it on 1 1/2 2200mAh 3s packs.

I did notice in a few areas where even with the 500k diff fluid up front it was not enough.... next event I might try locking it up. I also gotta get my drag brake set up better. Other than that I was pretty happy on my rigs performance.





Be careful locking it up. It really helps the crawling aspect but it hurts the high speed fun when you get on it. Under hard acceleration locked up they just spin all four and you do donuts instead of moving. I run mine with 100k up front and the crawling is ok but, I have even taken it to the local track and made a few laps and it competes with my 9.5 turn Losi 22t designed for that truck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by phllint View Post
Be careful locking it up. It really helps the crawling aspect but it hurts the high speed fun when you get on it. Under hard acceleration locked up they just spin all four and you do donuts instead of moving. I run mine with 100k up front and the crawling is ok but, I have even taken it to the local track and made a few laps and it competes with my 9.5 turn Losi 22t designed for that truck.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah I am running 500k upfront right now and there were several times I needed more running the G6. Might have to switch back and forth depending on what type of event Im running fully locked for G6 where speed is not so critical and 500k for U4RC type events.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Finally got around to installing the rear lights on my rig. They have been sitting in a box for a couple weeks. I used the HeyOK KOH lighting kit, EXO rear lightbar and a modified Carter Fab ultra 4 roof. Slid the entire roof about an inch forward, trimmed, rebent and redrilled to get the lights up higher and tuck them in closer.

The blue and amber flash and the reds are brake lights.









Last edited by wheelbyte; 03-28-2014 at 11:11 AM.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carmichael
Posts: 168
Default

Did CFD do your hood also? I made 1 out of lexan kinda like it.
onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecool54@yahoo View Post
Did CFD do your hood also? I made 1 out of lexan kinda like it.

Yeah it is a Carter Fab hood but I cut the hole for the shock uprights.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 464
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Ur rig u s one of the cleanest TH I have seen
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fall River
Posts: 152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbyte View Post
Both shocks in the rear are 110mm. Kings & RC4WD ultimate scale. I'm running the RC4WD ultimate scale as dampners only I have removed the internal springs and filed them with 20wt oil.

I also have 110 kings ( on my honcho ) I wish someone would make a new piston for them cas stock piston is horrible ( I have 60wt oil in them now and when you move the axle it feels like 15wt haha ) no tuning / dampening with stock piston ! They just look cool and I'm kinda over that , I want them to perform !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
I also have 110 kings ( on my honcho ) I wish someone would make a new piston for them cas stock piston is horrible ( I have 60wt oil in them now and when you move the axle it feels like 15wt haha ) no tuning / dampening with stock piston ! They just look cool and I'm kinda over that , I want them to perform !


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I hear ya I am running 100wt in my Kings to get some dampening out of them.... bleeding them is also a PITA. I wish they were built like the Proline Powerstrokes with a diaphram and bleeder hole. I did notice they now also make a short course version of the Kings that are bigger in dia. wonder if anyone has tried them out and how they perform.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Fall River
Posts: 152
Default

I don't think they changed the piston ( I could be wrong ) .. Looks like they just changed springs..... I have the extra spring kit.... Don't matter what springs I put on the pistons are useless... Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Morgan Hill
Posts: 105
Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
I don't think they changed the piston ( I could be wrong ) .. Looks like they just changed springs..... I have the extra spring kit.... Don't matter what springs I put on the pistons are useless... Haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the one thing I noticed is the shock body OD is larger along with thicker shaft on the Short Course shocks. The springs on the SC are the same diameter as the Proline Powerstroke springs. If the ID of the shock body is the same as the Prolines you could run the powerstroke pistons which they have a couple different valvings.

110mm Kings w Piggyback
  • Hole to Hole (Compressed): 2.95 in / 75mm
  • Hole to Hole (Uncompressed): 4.33 in / 110mm
  • Overall Length: 4.68in / 118.9mm
  • Travel Length: 1.37in / 35mm
  • Shock Body OD: 0.39in / 10mm
  • Spring Body OD: 0.57in / 14.5mm
  • Shaft Diameter: 0.13in / 3.5mm
  • Weight: 0.9oz / 26g


110mm Short Course Kings
  • Hole to Hole (Compressed): 3.05in / 77.4 mm
  • Hole to Hole (Uncompressed): 4.33in / 110mm
  • Overall Length: 4.68in / 119mm
  • Travel Length: 1.28in / 32.6mm
  • Shock Body OD: 0.49in / 12.5mm
  • Shaft Diameter: 0.14in / 3.5mm
  • Spring Body: 0.72in / 18.5mm
  • Each Weight: 1.09oz / 31g

Last edited by wheelbyte; 04-01-2014 at 04:29 PM.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another Twin Hammers Tin Soldier Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 02-19-2014 07:47 AM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com