Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #61

Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

I'm excited on how this came out, it's inspired me to build mine
moparmagic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #62

How did you mount the radiator?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmagic94 View Post
How did you mount the radiator?
Had it mounted to the two diagonal braces on the top of the cage.... But I removed it now that I am running the KOH lights.
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #64

I bought the exo light bar and radiator, just trying to figure out how to mount then both
Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 PM   #65

Wheelbyte, I love your TH. I have got a lot of inspiration for my own build from yours. One random question though, where did you get the scale decals on the side panels? I know the King and Mickey Thompson came with the products, but the Monster Energy and GoPro decals especially look good. Where did you get these? Thanks.
Merlin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Wheelbyte I wish I had a park near my house like that. There is really no place like that close to me. Nice....
mnickolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin69 View Post
Wheelbyte, I love your TH. I have got a lot of inspiration for my own build from yours. One random question though, where did you get the scale decals on the side panels? I know the King and Mickey Thompson came with the products, but the Monster Energy and GoPro decals especially look good. Where did you get these? Thanks.

Hi thanks!!!! I ended up making the decals..... even the King ones.

I happen to run a digital press at my work so I picked the logos I liked resized and printed on 2 mil clear poly. I found that if you laminate with clear packing tape over the top they are really rugged and scratch resistant. If you PM me your address, I have a few left over I'll drop them in the mail.

Greg
Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Question...What weight oil are you running in those Kings and Ultimate Shocks on the rear. I have worked with the ones I have and just can't get them working the way I would like. I have a set of Proline/axial shock on the rear right now. Try'n to get that scale look but just don't like the way they look but they work great.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickolson View Post
Question...What weight oil are you running in those Kings and Ultimate Shocks on the rear. I have worked with the ones I have and just can't get them working the way I would like. I have a set of Proline/axial shock on the rear right now. Try'n to get that scale look but just don't like the way they look but they work great.

100# wt in the Kings.... yep I did say 100 HaHa.....any heavier I thought I was gonna have to start using a lightweight or blended diff fluid in them. I also changed one of the springs out but I cant remember exactly what I went to will have to look when I get home.

20# wt in the Ultimate Shocks and I have the springs removed and am running them as dampners only.

I have the setup pretty close to where I like it now..... I was in the same boat as you before I had Proline Powerstrokes on it which are easy to tune but lack the scale look that I was going for.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I have not tried any quit that heavy. I think 80 was high as I have gone.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #71

I'd love some stickers, I mean who doesn't haha

Last edited by moparmagic94; 04-28-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #72

Wheelbyte, I noticed you are running the Bluemonkey RC lower links. Did you notice on their website they just changed the design. I am torn between the BMRC and the Vanquish links. The BMRC links new design looks very similar to the Vanquish links now, except the ends are different. How do you like yours?
Merlin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin69 View Post
Wheelbyte, I noticed you are running the Bluemonkey RC lower links. Did you notice on their website they just changed the design. I am torn between the BMRC and the Vanquish links. The BMRC links new design looks very similar to the Vanquish links now, except the ends are different. How do you like yours?
I did not notice they had changed design... I checked them out and they look pretty cool, very similar to the Vanquish links. I really like my dual shock links from BMRC no problems or complaints here. One of the reasons I went with the BMRC is I was able to buy the complete stage 2 suspension kit, upper shock mount, upper links and lower arms all together. The other is the arm mount opening seems a little larger and accommodate shocks with larger ball ends a little more. The King shocks ball ends are quite large and require some grinding/machining to get them to fit in the Vanquish arms without hitting from what I have heard. They fit in the BMRC links with less rubbing. I ended up changing out the ball ends on my Kings anyways with some traxxas plastic ball ends that dont rub at all... but it is something to think about if you decide to use King shocks. I also like the metal finish of the BMRC links i have....they dont show the rock rash as much as the black anodized finish would I think.

I really like the scale appearance of the Vanquish links.... the "New" BMRC links also look great.... hopefully someone will get a set and let us know how they work with the King Shocks.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

So I replaced the stock foams that came with the RC4WD 4.19 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws with the Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild Single Stage Closed Cell foams. Have not had it out on the rocks yet but there is a huge improvement in handling at speed now.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #75

You will have to keep us updated on those new foams
Old 05-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

still the best looking hammers ever wheely !!
biggamehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

New Crawler Innovation foams are working out great... perform really good on both the rocks and at speed. I am stoked they are also water proof compared to the stock foams!

I ended up swapping out the Derwood steering kit in my TH with the Irie kit which uses ball bearings instead of bushings. It removed tons of play out of the front end and the fit and finish is excellent. I continue to run the Derwood front shock mount and I really like that piece and it works without a problem with the Irie Kit.... bolts right up just like it did on the DD kit.

Irie's kit is on the top Derwoods is on the bottom

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Great pics my friend. I also have the Derwood kit and have been working on adding a custon upright shock mounting system. This is what ive got so far. My only problem is the springs in the Rc4wd Ultimate scale shocks are not strong emough to support the rigs weight. I haven't had much luck finding any stiffer springs that will fit them. Any suggestions ?
n8welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

It looks to me you could even use the other two tapped holes that are for my shock tower if you drilled them in the DD tower. Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I say something is on one of my prototypes I was able to pull out the two screws that go into the diff housing, which is why I added the other two tapped holes.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Beautiful build!
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another Twin Hammers Tin Soldier Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 02-19-2014 07:47 AM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM