Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
It looks to me you could even use the other two tapped holes that are for my shock tower if you drilled them in the DD tower. Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason I say something is on one of my prototypes I was able to pull out the two screws that go into the diff housing, which is why I added the other two tapped holes.

Yeah I was thinking that too when I was installing it. Would not be very hard to drill them out on the tower!
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Fantastic TH build, I may even purchase one now that I have read your thread. Thanxs!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #83
Pebble Pounder

So I competed in a TTC with my TH this weekend out at Hollister Hills SVRA.... this is the same location where 4 Wheeler Magazine holds it's annual the 1:1 Top Truck Challenge.

There were 8 events:
1. Log Chain Pull
2. Side by side pit race
3. Water truck pull
4. Hill Climb
5. Obstacle Course
6. Mini Rubicon
7. Tank Trap
8. Mud Pit

I did pretty good..... the event was open to both 2.2's & 1.9 scale trucks and the class was mixed. I was the only TH competing, mostly Wraiths or SCX10's. The events were pretty brutal on your rigs I would say by the 7th event a 1/4 of the trucks were out due to breakage. It was tons of fun!!!

Anyways here are some photos....

Hill Climb

Tank Trap

Mud Pit

Here is my rig after......had to do a complete tear down to clean

I also wanted to add that I have been running some of Irie's prototype axles for the TH and they work great!!! Check out the link above to get the full scoop on them. I have also installed the Vaterra HD outdrives.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

So after the last TTC the stock black oxide hardare on my rims began to rust so I decided to replace with some zinc plated scale hex hardware from Locked UP RC.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Do you have plans to come to either of the G6s in August. Brooks Trout 8-9 or Taquito Grandito 8-30. I'm hoping to make it up to both. Would love to see another th guy. It is usually just may son and I running the THs.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Do you have plans to come to either of the G6s in August. Brooks Trout 8-9 or Taquito Grandito 8-30. I'm hoping to make it up to both. Would love to see another th guy. It is usually just may son and I running the THs.

I can't make Brooks Trout but I'm hoping to make it up to Taquito Grandito on 8/30. It would be cool to meet up with another TH driver for sure..... I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you and your son!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

I'll keep an eye open for you.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #88

how did your hammer do in the mud?
cnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyte View Post
how did your hammer do in the mud?

It did pretty good....... made it thru the full pit without getting stuck... I ran it pretty fast so mud was flying!!!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #90
Pebble Pounder

The other day while running the screw on the stock motor mount let loose it ended up taking out my HR Al spur.

Since I was going to have to dig into the trans a bit to replace the spur gear I decided to pickup the HR motor mount and motor plate, I also had been sitting on the HR metal gears for the trans so I decided it would be a good time overhaul the transmission. I also went with the Robinson Racing hardened steel spur gear this go around.

Hot Racing Motor mount and Motor Plate

Hot Racing Hardened steel gears... lubed with Redline synthetic.

Rebuilt trans with Robinson Racing Hardened Spur.

I also picked up a set of the 1.9 Pitbull Growlers....I knew they were going to be bigger than the Mickey Thompson 4.19 Baja Claws I have been running but I thought I would check them out and see how they looked. I only mounted 1 up on the stock rim just to give me an idea and check for rubbing etc....

Not sure if I am totally sold on the bigger tires... I really like the Growlers tread pattern and have heard nothing but great things about the Pitbulls but I think it throws off the scale look a bit.
I have heard of people stretching 1.55 tires on to 1.9 rims. I am thinking of maybe doing that with a set of the 1.55 Growlers. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it a PITA to get the beads to mount?
Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbyte View Post
...Not sure if I am totally sold on the bigger tires... I really like the Growlers tread pattern and have heard nothing but great things about the Pitbulls but I think it throws off the scale look a bit.
I have heard of people stretching 1.55 tires on to 1.9 rims. I am thinking of maybe doing that with a set of the 1.55 Growlers. Does anyone have any experience with that? Is it a PITA to get the beads to mount?
I don't have any experience with stretching 1.55's, but if you want a tire in the middle of yours size-wise you might check out the Pitbull Rock Beasts. They grab like crazy and still look great on the truck. They're what I'm running on mine. You can see pics in the pic thread. I think they're the perfect size for the Hammers.
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for posting up a picture of those growlers on your hammer! I have been on the fence about buying a set of those tires for a while now. Yeah they might be to wide for my tastes. Love the tread pattern as well but I think I'm going to try a set of mad beasts instead! They are not as tall and narrower too! Your new wheel hardware looks good man!
LukeKang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalry101 View Post
I don't have any experience with stretching 1.55's, but if you want a tire in the middle of yours size-wise you might check out the Pitbull Rock Beasts. They grab like crazy and still look great on the truck. They're what I'm running on mine. You can see pics in the pic thread. I think they're the perfect size for the Hammers.
The Rock Beasts look great on your TH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeKang77 View Post
Thanks for posting up a picture of those growlers on your hammer! I have been on the fence about buying a set of those tires for a while now. Yeah they might be to wide for my tastes. Love the tread pattern as well but I think I'm going to try a set of mad beasts instead! They are not as tall and narrower too! Your new wheel hardware looks good man!
Thanks!!!!

I looked at the Mad Beasts and they are cool looking tires but I really love the tread pattern of the Growler. I just placed an order for some 1.55's Growlers and I am going to stretch them onto the 1.9 Gearhead Sixers and see how it goes. I have seen some stretched 1.55's and I think they will be in the 4.19-4.25 range which I think fits the scale bill nicely on the TH. I plan on running the Crawler Innovations 1.9 Deuces Wild 4.19-4.25 closed cell foams with them.... I am hoping they fit ok. I'll post up some pics once I get them on my rig.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

So I got the 1.55 Pitbull Growlers in and mounted on my 1.9 Gearhead Sixer rims.....

The 1.55 Growlers are much smaller than the 1.9 height wise

Here is a pic comparing 3 tires......
RC4WD 4.19 Mickey Thomposin Baja Claws TTC
1.55 Pitbull Growlers Stretch onto 1.9's
1.9 Pitbull Growlers

Here is a shot of the width of the 1.55 Growler
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Loooking scale!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #96
Rock Stacker

I mounted a 1.55 Growler on an Axial 1.9 beadlock to compare with my Rock Beasts on the same wheel. A PITA to mount! A bit smaller that the RB and too small for the Hammers IMO. RBs are just right and work really well. Sorry forgot to take a pic.
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy View Post
I mounted a 1.55 Growler on an Axial 1.9 beadlock to compare with my Rock Beasts on the same wheel. A PITA to mount! A bit smaller that the RB and too small for the Hammers IMO. RBs are just right and work really well. Sorry forgot to take a pic.
Yeah the rock beasts look pretty good......but I really like the tread pattern on the growlers. Scale wise I would say that the 1.55's at around 4 inches tall or the Baja Claws 4.19's would work out to be a 40 inch and 42 inch tire...... Right what most of the ultra4 rigs are running at KOH. I do feel the 1.55 look a tad small or maybe the sidewall looks weird because it's stretched..... but compared to the standard 1.9 Growlers which stand at 4.75 would make them 47's in 1/10 scale. Still not 100% if I'm gonna run the 1.55's or keep running the MT Baja Claws.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

So for Christmas I got some LockedUp Ultra Hubs for my TH.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Here's mine with the 1.9 Axial Ripsaws. They seem to work really well all around.

onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Ok so its been a while since I have posted anything..... summers been busy but there is a G6 coming up that I hope to attend and I wanted to change things up a bit.

RPP had a sale awhile back so I picked up a Sand Scorcher body and a extra TH cage and decided to build up a Twin Scorcher.

I have been working on grafting the body onto the modified cage. Still got a little more fender trimming to do and work out the body mounts.

I am going for a Class 5 Unlimited Baja Bug look.

Still trying to determine color, front bumper & lights.

Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another Twin Hammers Tin Soldier Vaterra Twin Hammers 12 02-19-2014 07:47 AM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM