Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Some Twin Hammers advice and ???s.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Some Twin Hammers advice and ???s.

Been away from the crawling side of the hobby for awhile. I started out when most everyone on here was hand building pretty much everything. I think I want to get back into it with a Twin Hammers because this vehicle intrigues me with the ability for speed and crawling. My older girls are now 6 yrs. old and have expressed some interest in "getting another crawler." I want something they will be able to drive and work on as well. I plan on keeping the rig mostly stock as my budget is a little more limited now. I have done some research and am aware of some of the issues with the vehicle but want to know what you guys think as far as keeping it mainly stock and how it holds up, and I guess I'm really concerned about the electronics because it's not in the budget to upgrade right now. I'd love to hear some pros and cons and thoughts. Thanks.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Some Twin Hammers advice and ???s.

I can't comment on the stock electronics (I am not running anything stock as far as electronics go). I can, however, comment on the structural soundness of the car. It's great. I have not broken a thing. None. Nothing. Nada. I am very happy with it so far. Only thing I guess you can say I broke was a spur gear, but that was because the pinion itself moved on me, and the set screw stripped the spur.

As far as driveshafts, links, a-arms etc. I have broken nothing. It's a tough little guy. I can tell you this, if you remove the spare tire and remove some pre-load off the front shocks, it does wonders for high speed driving. Much less roll-overs.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Cool, thanks for your input. Anyone out there still running stock electronics? What things should I look for out of the box? I plan on going through everything before I run it. Guys changing shock oil? I don't plan on running a front locker, should I run a heavier diff oil in the front?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Let's see I ran the stock electronics for a while before I upgraded it's not extremely fast in high gear but pretty good and in low gear it crawls pretty good work on the preload like corrupt stated and if you want it to crawl better I would get some 500000 weight dif oil and pack it in there. My electronics would get hot but I think that's due to my nano tech batteries with 80 to 130 c discharge rate. Check all the endpoints on the servos and u should be good as the new ones have a servo saver system on the shift servo. Oh yea and the car plastic wise is indestructible haha. I haven't broken anything plastic
iacdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks for the input. Good to hear the car holds up well. Looking forward to getting back into the hobby.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm having no durability issue with the 2 I have. They are both running brushless systems on 3s. I did run my son (7 years old) for a while in stock configuration. It did fine. I just had a want for longer run times with out battery changes and that was the main reason for changing to brushless for him. Also I did run that HH 13t motor for a while with everything else being stock. It was a great motor upgrade for fairly cheap without needing anything else. Definetly recommend the HH motor as the first upgrade and maybe the only upgrade needed if your happy with the performance.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
I'm having no durability issue with the 2 I have. They are both running brushless systems on 3s. I did run my son (7 years old) for a while in stock configuration. It did fine. I just had a want for longer run times with out battery changes and that was the main reason for changing to brushless for him. Also I did run that HH 13t motor for a while with everything else being stock. It was a great motor upgrade for fairly cheap without needing anything else. Definetly recommend the HH motor as the first upgrade and maybe the only upgrade needed if your happy with the performance.

did you run the hh motor on 3s or 2s in your twin hammers?
BigSid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

2s only.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Have heard good things about the HH motors may look into that since I don't plan on going brushless. What kind of run times can I expect in stock form?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have found that running hiking trails and controlling my trigger finger I can get an hour out of the stock battery. Running all stock. Make sure you do check your endpoints and you should be golden.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
onecool54@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I may also consider a Wraith but looking into it to get a Wraith to where I want would cost me a lot more in the long run. I know the Wraith would be a more capable crawler but damn the Twin Hammers looks like a lot of fun.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I never ran it stock. And my son got about 1/2 hour in stock configuration. He is a little throttle happy. I believe onecool54's hour.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
RCC Addict

So I ended up picking one up off Ebay for a decent price. Truck is mostly stock but had a GCM front shock mount and Axial shocks up front, as well as an extra 4000mah battery. Truck still looks almost brand new. Previous owner had installed a front locker which I'm gonna change out when I can get my hands on some heavy diff oil. Steering was horrible, which I hope improves with the removal of the locker. Next upgrades will be new body panels and possibly a new steering servo. Any other ideas on improving steering?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

servo needs to be replaced bad. and changing the servo arm. It doesnt have near enough power though it is a little better unlocked.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Anyone have any luck running Pro-Line Swampers on the stock rims?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have been running the proline swampers on stock rims for months they work fine.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yeah I saw that on one of your posts. Just picked up a set today. Just got to get them mounted up.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Now that I'm fully back into the swing of things as a paying member of RCCrawler, I will be starting a new thread (wouldn't call it a build thread quite yet) for my TH. Thanks for the help guys, good to be back.

Some Twin Hammers advice and ???s. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Twin...Twin Hammers build start sanny632 Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 03-09-2014 12:01 PM
Savage00's Twinny Twin Twin Hammers Savage00 Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 09-19-2013 08:09 PM
Twin Hammers in Twin Cities? 89XJ Minnesota 7 05-06-2013 02:59 PM
ae-2 into twin hammers help kakachille Vaterra Twin Hammers 15 03-12-2013 06:06 PM