Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: New Twin Hammers owner needs help w/must have upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New Twin Hammers owner needs help w/must have upgrades

So I have been out of the hobby for a year or so, I sold all of my crawlers and scalers and go fasts. I was starting to get the itch again so I bought a Hammer. I got the Hammer, Mamba max pro, tekin pro4 4000, couple 5mm 48p pinions, ccBec, some losi 22 shorty lipo packs, rear sway bar kit and rear mip driveline. That's just the start but not knowing the kit and being out for over a year Im looking for your guys recommendations on needed upgrades. This kit appealed to me for the ability to go fast and hit the rocks, and it will do both. I want to keep the kit light but will get a set of actual wheels and tires more dedicated for the rocks. So what are the needed uprades for this kit?
omenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Twin Hammers owner needs help w/must have upgrades

It loos like you have got a really good list of upgrades already for it. I would recommend servos the factory ones are not very good. At very least the steering servo needs replaced. I am still running the factory shift servo, but it is not all that great either. Also the steering rack thing is junk and has allot of play and wares out pretty quick. Upright shocks make a big difference in tunability and handling at speed. I have a kit to solve the steering and shock situation if interested. I purchased the twin hammer for the same reasons as you and really have had no regrets its a fun truck.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

servos will defiantly come later, that's what the ccbec is for but at least as a start to bump the voltage a little to the stock servos. Shocks will also come later as I hate those stupid shock collars. I was looking for more of the immediate break points on the kit, especially with a 4 pole brushless.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Break points will be the front axles chances are they will be first to go. If you haven't yet take them apart and threadlock the set screws and some sort of dry lube helps. I even put a little dab of lock tight on the wire coil that raps the cvd cup. Since I did this I have not broke any.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I broke something yesterday. Get metal drive nuts. My plastic 12 mm drive nut stripped out and took out the bearing on the rear wheel. As luck would have it, the precise size of the bearing is missing from the parts explosion. So I had to order two sizes in hopes one of them fits.

Yippie! I am also going to mount my vanquish lights and axial wraith lights which should look pretty awesome. I have some soldering and wiring to perform however.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

So far we got the MMP and the tekin Pro4 4000kv in, MIP rear drive shaft, savox waterproof 200+ oz servo, ccbec, aluminium wheel hexs, turnigy 4200 mah shorty packs. I got it geared with a 24t pinion and it's still a wee bit slow, going to jump to a 28 and see how that goes. Also put 500k diff oil in the front diff and that made a huge difference for the rocks. Going to run it for the fist time tomorrow and see how it goes. Some rc4wd of vanquish wheels and some soft rubber is on the short list. Steering sucks ass, what are my options for better steering?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

That steering does absolutely suck , a lot . Get one of these http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...ammers***.html
It was a bit vague with no instructions but it all worked out, great improvement.

( still missing you guys on CWN !!!)
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
That steering does absolutely suck , a lot . Get one of these http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...ammers***.html
It was a bit vague with no instructions but it all worked out, great improvement.

Thanx and Thanx
Frank and beans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by omenwolf View Post
So far we got the MMP and the tekin Pro4 4000kv in, MIP rear drive shaft, savox waterproof 200+ oz servo, ccbec, aluminium wheel hexs, turnigy 4200 mah shorty packs. I got it geared with a 24t pinion and it's still a wee bit slow, going to jump to a 28 and see how that goes. Also put 500k diff oil in the front diff and that made a huge difference for the rocks. Going to run it for the fist time tomorrow and see how it goes. Some rc4wd of vanquish wheels and some soft rubber is on the short list. Steering sucks ass, what are my options for better steering?
Have you stripped the plastic drive hexes yet?

Mine didn't last too long, but I drive on grass, dirt, and other hard surfaces. It took about 10 packs to destroy them. The metal ones are showing wear as well
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post

My ball bearing steering upright shock tower kit will solve the TH steering problem for good with no maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
Have you stripped the plastic drive hexes yet?

Mine didn't last too long, but I drive on grass, dirt, and other hard surfaces. It took about 10 packs to destroy them. The metal ones are showing wear as well
I run plastic hexes for just the reason of they are weaker, the idea is they strip and or take up the shock before something else breaks that costs more and is harder to replace. They are cheaper and easier to replace than any other part on the truck. I just carry a few in my pit box or pocket if I am out and about.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

have any links to your stuff Irie?
Farmers00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

IRIE Products
Pockets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets70 View Post
Thanks man
Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Irie View Post
If you haven't yet take them apart and threadlock the set screws and some sort of dry lube helps. I even put a little dab of lock tight on the wire coil that raps the cvd cup. Since I did this I have not broke any.
I'll be trying this out as i just broke mine this long weekend 2 batteries in but is there no upgraded dog bones you can get for them? or is stock your only choice?
Fatskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatskie View Post
I'll be trying this out as i just broke mine this long weekend 2 batteries in but is there no upgraded dog bones you can get for them? or is stock your only choice?

Unfortunately there are no upgrades for the front cvd axles hopefully someone will make some one day.