Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Anyone here ever submerge a stock Twin Hammers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone here ever submerge a stock Twin Hammers?

I have read and heard that the twin hammers is all waterproofed stock . I was watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhFN_8ivP0

At this point in the video: RC ADVENTURES - Vaterra Twin Hammers RTR & RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - in MEXiCO! - YouTube he drives it close to the water and the waves hit the RC. After that it seems to be dead. In the video the guys seem to think that the waterproof RC died because it was saltwater that it was submerged in. I don't see how the water being salty would be a big deal besides rusting later down the road.

I'm just curious if the Twin Hammers is submersible and that video is a fluke or salt water is somehow different, or if the vehicle is just resistant to overspray and stuff.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone here ever submerge a stock Twin Hammers?

You'd be a fool IMO.
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
I have read and heard that the twin hammers is all waterproofed stock . I was watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhFN_8ivP0

At this point in the video: RC ADVENTURES - Vaterra Twin Hammers RTR & RC4WD Trail Finder 2 - in MEXiCO! - YouTube he drives it close to the water and the waves hit the RC. After that it seems to be dead. In the video the guys seem to think that the waterproof RC died because it was saltwater that it was submerged in. I don't see how the water being salty would be a big deal besides rusting later down the road.

I'm just curious if the Twin Hammers is submersible and that video is a fluke or salt water is somehow different, or if the vehicle is just resistant to overspray and stuff.

Salt water is way more conductive than normal tap water that is why it immediately killed the TH in the video. It was like a direct short on any exposed electrical components when the water hit it. Tap water and distilled/deionized water are way less conductive because they have far fewer ions. That is why you see guys running motors completely submerged in creeks and lakes without any problems.

Why does salt water have more conductivity than tap water
wheelbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
You'd be a fool IMO.
I would never deliberately submerge one, I was just curious as to just how well waterproofed they are.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
I would never deliberately submerge one, I was just curious as to just how well waterproofed they are.
I think water resistant would be more appropriate claim. Not much of anything is water proof - If you think it is, just go deeper.
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

He probably blew his motor. Watch his other videos, he takes his tekin 35T and burns em going through muddy water while trailing. A brushed motor is water proof but only if the water is mostly clean. I wouldn't try it in salt water. BTW I love DJ Medic.
Farmers00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone here ever submerge a stock Twin Hammers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Twin Hammers aluminum parts in stock. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-26-2013 07:30 PM
Vaterra Twin Hammers In Stock RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 02-13-2013 02:55 PM