Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti vs Twin Hammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial Yeti vs Twin Hammer

I have to say, the Yeti does look a little meaner than the TH. If this would have been out when I picked up the TH, I don't know if I would have made the same choice. There is so much extra space in the chassis, and the wide stance is precisely what I have sought to achieve with the TH. I am sure it is more roll resistant as compared to the TH, which of course is its downfall...

Anyone else think the Yeti is an 11/10ths TH and think the TH is a little "less" in that regard? The Yeti has scale, size, and room for proper batteries of all sizes. You may even be able to fit a fan on the motor, which is a good thing.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Yeti vs Twin Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
I have to say, the Yeti does look a little meaner than the TH. If this would have been out when I picked up the TH, I don't know if I would have made the same choice. There is so much extra space in the chassis, and the wide stance is precisely what I have sought to achieve with the TH. I am sure it is more roll resistant as compared to the TH, which of course is its downfall...

Anyone else think the Yeti is an 11/10ths TH and think the TH is a little "less" in that regard? The Yeti has scale, size, and room for proper batteries of all sizes. You may even be able to fit a fan on the motor, which is a good thing.
I'm interested to see what Horizon does now. The Twin Hammers has always felt really expensive to me for what you get at $399, but now the Yeti makes the price seem outrageous. For only 30 more you could get a bigger vehicle with brushless power and Axial parts/aftermarket support.
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

I know some will say I'm crazy, but I actually prefer the looks of the Twin Hammer over the Yeti. They are both great looking trucks, but the TH seemed to hit the scale factor better. At least for me anyway.

I always wanted to get one, but the price kind of kept me away. If they drop the price, or they start showing up cheap in the classifieds, I'd like to snag one.

I've heard there are reliability problems which bothers me a bit though...I don't need another truck that sits all the time waiting for parts.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdougsforu View Post
I'm interested to see what Horizon does now. The Twin Hammers has always felt really expensive to me for what you get at $399, but now the Yeti makes the price seem outrageous. For only 30 more you could get a bigger vehicle with brushless power and Axial parts/aftermarket support.
Very well said. I bought mine off of FLEA-bay so I didn't pay full price. I did pay 500 or so in upgrades and other parts. I love the TH, but its design shortcomings for a high speed runner can't be entirely masked or overcome. It's a fun rig, and with scale accessories it looks awesome bombing around.

I suspect that the brushless set up in the Yeti is severely compromised due to the lack of a fan. The size of it though looks great, and the wide low stance is something that really can't be achieved with the TH. God knows, I have tried.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I know some will say I'm crazy, but I actually prefer the looks of the Twin Hammer over the Yeti. They are both great looking trucks, but the TH seemed to hit the scale factor better. At least for me anyway.

I always wanted to get one, but the price kind of kept me away. If they drop the price, or they start showing up cheap in the classifieds, I'd like to snag one.

I've heard there are reliability problems which bothers me a bit though...I don't need another truck that sits all the time waiting for parts.
The are on ebay for around $225. You can get them there. You will need a new ESC and MOTOR but maybe you already have that.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
The are on ebay for around $225. You can get them there. You will need a new ESC and MOTOR but maybe you already have that.
I'm hoping once the Yeti is here the price will go lower
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I really enjoyed my TH when I had it. I liked it even better when Trenton built me Jason Scherer's cage. It was so spot on scale. Really fun truck to watch.

The only 2 down falls of the TH (at that time), was I never felt confident in the steering and front diff. Just didn't seem as stout as my 2.2 axial buggy.

That said, I know people have been fixing the steering problem, and more and more vendors are supporting the TH now.

Still, the largest battery I could fit in my old TH was a 2600 (3s).
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

im interested to see where this thread goes...i havent personally drove a yeti rtr but ive built a wrexo and loved it there fun when you tune the steering and epa...so needless to say i cant really expect much although im intersted in seeing the new steering setup badger had mention in another thread... i have a twin hammers now and love it has a custom front and the irie steering helps bring it to life but axial just has more support in the aftermarket line... ive been thinking of selling it to build another wrexo but looks like a yeti might just do lol....
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have the TH and love it. Wouldn't trade it or sell it for anything. That being said I am also planning on getting the Yeti the day it comes out. Bigger, faster, better support. What's not to like?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
ndi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I'm hoping once the Yeti is here the price will go lower
Tower hobbies has $40 off right now
AWraith build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

2 totally different sized rigs...2.2 wraith wide and a narrow small 1.9 rig.

Now if Axial released a 1.9 yeti...then the twh would have some competition.

We can only hope...
pray...

and beg!!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I have the TH and will be getting the yeti just because of the U4 class. I dislike companies use 1:10 when they are more like 1:8 Was in vegas for the wraith sneek peek and right off I knew it was too big compared to the scx but still 1:10 :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I actually took the back tire off my TH and was able to zap strap one of my 5000 mah lipos in there and I put an old plastic shell over top of it that I had in the garage and strapped it down for protection as she rolls a lot and it works perfect and the piece I found actually looks like it belongs. And I found this little upgrade on eBay for $70 and it changes the whole look shocks and stance as well as it is a battery compartment for the front and it looks big enough for a decent sized battery. And if you look on eBay there is an optional rear battery tray that will allow for a 5000 mah to fit right in there nicely and with the back tire on still and it even brings the rear up slightly to compensate for the extra weight but I chose the front one as I feel it will do better for all around performance. And looks bad ass as well and now I can put axial piggy back shocks on the front as well now.

Last edited by VenomCat; 06-20-2014 at 08:14 AM.
VenomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I see the front suspension alone as reason enough to hang a for sale sign on my TH !
EXO terra has probably double the TW's pathetic 1.4" of wheel travel and it's increased size is another huge plus.

I've been planning to build a wrexo for just these reasons, but now......
awaiting details
photon_trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
I see the front suspension alone as reason enough to hang a for sale sign on my TH !
EXO terra has probably double the TW's pathetic 1.4" of wheel travel and it's increased size is another huge plus.

I've been planning to build a wrexo for just these reasons, but now......
awaiting details
Agreed. I got an awesome deal on a ground pounder and am tweaking it right now instead of a Wrexo. I see the yeti as a better option and quite frankly, better than the TH. if anyone else has increased the speed of their TH they know that it really can't handle legitimate off road terrain. The front suspension is limited, the geometry of the rear is off and the weight distribution is sub optimal for high speed running.

Mine is about as good as it gets (or as I can make it) and it's nearly uncontrollable on sand/gravel. The rear end is all over the place, even with a soft suspension. Would an open rear diff help, sure. However the bigger 2.2 tires wider stance and greater suspension travel are all the righty answers.

After others start getting the Yeti I may have to pick one up and convert the TH into a full scaler. At least my TH is now bulletproof!!!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

After my own personal choice of wheels/tires.. the TH is an awesome looking rig. The proportions with 1.9's just look *right*. I'm having a ton of fun with mine. It's getting better the more I drive it.

I would never trade it for the new Yeti. It just doesn't do anything for me. Too big and way too wide. It may drive better and handle better but it just looks goofy to me. Some people don't care about that, I do. Maybe with different tires I would like it more. Time will tell once people have them and pics are out there of different configurations I'll have a different opinion.

Basically, I don't think they can be compared due to drastic size differences... They are both hybrid IFS/solid rear and have 2-speeds(not functional out of the box, Axial.....) but that's where the similarities end...

Last edited by Jus; 06-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I'm having a ton of fun with mine. It's getting better the more I drive it.

I would never trade it for the new Yeti. It just doesn't do anything for me. ...Time will tell once people have them and pics are out there of different configurations I'll have a different opinion.

Basically, I don't think they can be compared due to drastic size differences...
Agree 100% with all three points.

Took me a while, but I finally got my TH settled in as a low-medium speed trail rig. Gave up on the high speed set-up, just wasn't there. Gets around on the trail and rocks very well now. Goes anywhere the Axials do, and with the low CG sometimes more places. Only issue left is steering - even with the Derwood kit mine still struggles.

I have to see the Yeti in person. Had one on order and cancelled it for now - the proportions look a bit off to me. Not to say it can't be changed or customized, but holding off a bit to see it in person as well as a few builds. I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually..

Agree they are similar in concept, but vastly different rigs.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I like the look of the Yeti. I love my Twin Hammers for it's ability to do a little of everything. I'm going to hold off on getting a Yeti till I see some reviews and because right now I am in to 1.9 rigs.
MacJamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Yes I agree with holding off on the yeti as I canceled my order and bought a wraith instead as I've never owned an axial before and that twin hammers is great and I'm imagining it to get a whole lot better once I get that new upright shock kit for the front as well as the front sway bars I ordered so when I put the piggy backs on I think a lot of the front end issues should be corrected as it changes the whole front end entirely now so I'm probably gonna take the direction of turning it into a slower crawler rig and once I've heard the reviews I may buy that yeti as to l
Me it looks like it is rock solid and a basher like me would benefit from a rig like that but for now am gonna start turning that wraith into a rock basher.
I'm also happy with amount of after market stuff that is coming out for the th now as well.
VenomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #20

I picked up a TH about 6 months ago. I traded into it so I wasn't in it for a lot of cash....which was a good thing. If I had paid the new price tag for it I would not have been happy at all. IMO the quality just isn't there. I'm not gonna go into detail as far as what I didn't like about the rig but it was clear that Horizon cut some corners.

I just didn't have the desire to throw more money at it during that time. The Yeti seems like a more cost efficient choice. My question is does anyone know whether or not the brushless system will be sensored or not for crawling?
The Horde RC is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Yeti vs Twin Hammer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti? 2-shot Chit Chat 25 06-17-2014 10:35 AM
Axial Honcho/Twin Hammer IFS Mr. LowBudget 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 03-01-2014 09:07 PM
Twin Hammer and Axial Wraith videos by Eggymuss taka eggymusstaka Videos! 21 01-06-2014 06:34 PM