Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Some help on motor choice, please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #1

Default Some help on motor choice, please.

I recently ordered the TH kit from my lhs. I am still debating between two motor esc combos and was wondering if anyone here could offer some advise. I have decided to go with Castle creations, just not sure which system would be best. My intentions are to do mostly trail driving with some minor rock crawling as well. Crazy top end speed isn't really my first priority but something with descent top end and good overall torque is what I'm hoping to achieve. The choice are either the Sidewinder 3 3800kv SCT (waterproof) combo or the Sidewinder 3 4800kv Sport (waterproof) combo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could suggest a good pinion size to start off with for either would be great.
Lex07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Some help on motor choice, please.

The 3800kv system would offer more torque but a sensored motor will cog less and be smoother. A Tekin Redine 13.5t or ROC412 would be good options maybe a Pro4 3400
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The ROC412 is a great motor or you can cheap out like I did. Then I would recommend the Turnigy TrackStar SCT 550 . Either way full sensored is the only way for me.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

While the Castle systems do offer great horsepower for the dollar, they are all unsensored which means very little low speed precise control. You really want a sensored motor for any real rockcrawling.

I have the SCT 3800 in a Rustler and while it does have borderline retarded wheelie-over-backwards power, it also coggs badly at low speed and isn't really happy below about 5mph.

I'm currently running a Tekin 17.5 Gen 1 geared 23/76 and am really liking it. Good low speed control for crawling and still tops out in 2nd in the mid teens, which is plenty fast enough for scalish jumping. Enough power in the rocks that I can't stall it out, but not so much that I have to worry about breaking parts when it's bound up. I spend most of my time in low gear and really appreciate the precise low speed control afforded by a mild sensored brushless.

The sidewinder series of ESC's won't run a sensored motor (well, they will, just as a "sensorless") , so if you really want a Castle ESC you'll have to step up to a Mamba Max Pro to have sensored capabilities.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I agree 100% about going with a sensored system but I'm worried about the waterproof factor. Figure I will likely be getting this vehicle pretty wet and dirty with the plans I have for it so thats why I've been leaning towards the sensor less system. By going with either of the sensored systems mentioned would water pose a serious problem? I don't plan on submerging but it will get pretty wet. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The water is one of the reasons I cheeped out and gave the Turnigy a shot. It is only 50.00 bucks so if something does happen and I screw it up, I am not out allot of money.
Hell you can barley get a decent brushed for that kind of money.

The one concern I did have when I bought it was the open can, debris getting in it. It does not matter, I have cleaned pine needles, leaves and dirt out of it that I did not even know was there tell I did maintenance.

Any brushless unless sealed is not going to fair well in water.
The twin hammers body protects the motor pretty well though unless submerged. I run in rainy conditions, wet grass and muddy type stuff all the time with no issues.

Last edited by Sr.Irie; 10-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

For water proof systems I've been very happy with the stock motor geared down to 21/78 and the. Volted up to a 3s lipo. I use a brxl water proof so I can run a 3s. I have 45-60minute run times on a 2200mha 3s. Power is great. Crawls better than stock. Has hight top speed than stock. Everythin in my expreance has been running well within temp.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

Hey Toyota, just curious what is a water proof brxl, sorry new to all this stuff. Also if I were to go with the sidewinder 3 sct system does anyone know if I could run 3s with it?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Holmes hobby makes an esc called the BRXL. One version of it is waterproof. Here is a link. Holmes Hobbies LLC

The castle sidwinder 3 either is waterproof or has a waterproof version. I can't remember. It will run brushed and sensorless brushless motors. It will also handle 3s lipos. I recommend a BEC if you go with the sidwinder. It's internal BEC is only 1.5 or 2 amps. Something like that.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Personally, I love my waterproof BRXL as well. I'm running mine with a 45t Holmes expert. Barely faster than walking and locked in low. I'm thinking about getting another Twin with another BRXL and a 13t Holmes expert but I will lock this one in high. Only running on 3s. That should be plenty fast for bashing around.
ndi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I run a Tekin 13.5 and it has lots of low end torque and plenty of top end. You can find the the used Gen 1s for around $35-40 shipped on eBay

Last edited by Di_Spencer; 10-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Some help on motor choice, please. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor choice ?s Big Daddy Electronics 12 05-03-2013 05:25 PM
Motor choice help BDN Electronics 6 02-15-2012 04:27 PM
Motor choice Neutron Electronics 6 06-21-2010 08:00 PM
Motor choice? nicofumi Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 07-22-2009 03:09 PM
Motor choice clemet Electronics 2 07-06-2007 12:25 PM