Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: oo C64 oo's Twin Hammer Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default oo C64 oo's Twin Hammer Kit

Fresh kit!

Just built!
I'm doing things a little different:

*30T Tekin Pro Hand Wound Motor
*25T Integy Billet HD Stainless Steel Pinion
*Team Fast Eddy 60K gloopy diff fluid for front; haven't installed locker.
*Stock shock oil front 'n' rear
*Medium - Front and Rear Sways
*Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC G2 2200 Mah 65C 4S Lipo (perfect fit)
*Holmes Hobbies Torque Master BR-XL Waterproof esc (5A switchmode BEC inbuilt)
*Hitec HS 225 MG Shift Servo. Tapped with M3 tap to fit larger horn hex screw. (I first installed a Vaterra Waterproof shift servo but it was constantly buzzing).. I would love any tips to waterproof this shift servo please.
*Hitec HS-5646WP Steering servo..it's ok, but I'm looking already for higher quality after being spoilt with my Radiopost Red servo for so long in other crawlers. Any recommendations, waterproof please?
*Spektrum DX4C - I'm still to decide whether I want 4th channel winch or LED light bar..Ideas? Anyone install a winch got general advice cheers.
*Blue monkey RC -front windscreen and Rear Axle Truss.
*Pactra RC272 Candy Blue polycarbonate paint with Tamiya PS-41 Bright Silver backing.

I can only estimate from videos but my vehicle is a bit faster than the stock car on 2s (14T brushed motor) in high gear using my 4s lipo and 30T combo. It can crawl ok in high gear as a result also. Low gear is great crawler speed...Just need a little help waterproofing my shift servo.. may install regular sized servo for WP options in future if no good.

Q..Does anyone know if a servo can kill the transmission, ie would a regular sized high torque shift servo force the gears to crunch when shifting ?
I could use some help aligning my shift servo.. At present going down to low gear is not always smooth. Seems to miss a few times, making a few crunchy noises...A little push with my hand can help it mesh properly..

Also did anyone else follow the manual exactly, only to find the front wheels stuck out at weird sideways angles once built lol!

Last edited by oo C64 oo; 12-31-2014 at 06:32 AM.
oo C64 oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: oo C64 oo's Twin Hammer Kit

"I could use some help aligning my shift servo.. At present going down to low gear is not always smooth. Seems to miss a few times, making a few crunchy noises...A little push with my hand can help it mesh properly.."

I have mine locked in low - only crawl. But I believe that the rig has to be moving when shifting gears.
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hey, I am changing at slow speed, but going from high to low seems to crunch or get stuck. The car will then sit there "missing" the gear mesh until i push it forwards gently. Playing around with my EPA's has helped somewhat, I now think that these mini servo's just don't have much chop so to speak..I'm going to try putting in a regular sized servo for shifting.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run a traxxas 2075 in mine but have it flipped so the servo output it as far away from the shifter as possible. It seems a few people have had trouble with the shift fork rod binding against the case so by going with a longer link it seems to have lessened the angle and side to side force on the shift rod. That being said with my end points set perfectly my trans still hangs out of gear the odd time if im stopped when i try to shift. Just the way the trans is built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hey thanks for that info, just what I was needing to read. I noticed the rod issue and angle yesterday, but didn't give it any more thought. Cheers on your servo recommendation, I'll go order one of those servos, looks perfect!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

So after a few weeks have changed my gearing somewhat.
I had tried a 80T spur/25T pinion, preceded by 28T pinion for slightly larger torque as I was still finding the low speed control on the 30T a little erratic.

Now I couldn't get the "feel" right, so changed the spur to stock 78T, and the motor to a custom 45T epoxy balanced team br00d HHK-R wind, which uses a larger gauge wire than standard and a 4mm commutator (10mm on the Tekin30T) for more speed and power. I have changed the timing to advance 12 degrees and the buggy is noticeably faster than the 30T, but with heaps more torque, so much that I can crawl in high gear for most situations. Don't forget I'm using a 4s lipo. Low gear now is strictly crawling only and both high and low gear are silky smooth with this motor combo.. Very happy with this.

I'm annoyed I cannot find a quality waterproof shift servo that is in the mini category and have since purchased the mount to install a regular sized servo, but i do think this will take away from handling somewhat and the appearance. I'll post up some pictures once i decide on some new servo's. This is a contender for my main servo:
Xpert 6000 Series "Super Torque" Metal Gear Waterproof Digital Brushless Servo (High Voltage) [XPTWR-6601-HV] | RC Cars - AMain.com - AMain.com
and this for the regular sized shift servo ATM:
Traxxas Digital High Torque Waterproof Servo [TRA2075] | RC Cars - AMain.com - AMain.com

The first servo I used (Hitec HS-5646WP) was honestly pretty crap. I swapped this out for a servo from my XR10 (radiopost red) .This has the best resolution of any servo on the market and will be very hard for me to part with...But its not waterproof and I really want this feature. I also had to replace my XR10 with a new servo so bought another Radiopost to fill the gap.

Other things. I have installed the Vanquish 2" LED bar and Twin Hammer mount set and power this from a spare 3s 1300mah battery i was using on my XR10. I don't like having two batteries, it definitely upsets the handling and weighs the car down too much. I was thinking off heavier rear and front springs to compensate, but have since gone for the elegant solution of a (using my friend Al from HeyOk Performance) BEC capable of reducing 4s to 12V with a remote controlled on/off dimmer with 3 levels. This is going to be awesome and knowing Al will be wrapped in plasti-dip so watertight and should arrive in the next couple weeks, then I'll post up some pics of my wiring etc.. I love the idea of using my spare 4th channel for something like this.. BTW the LED is great wide angle, but does lack distance at night, but more than enough to see your way around if driving moderately.

Last edited by oo C64 oo; 02-19-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

6 month report. The main thing I have playing with has been motor combinations. I briefly went brushless but the low speed (0-200rpm) was so shit I gave up.So back to brushed motors..The 30T hand wound tekin is too slow with a 10mm commy. Even with 4s and timing on 12 degrees.

I put a teambr00d 45T chaos motor (4mm commy)I had (epoxy balanced, polished, dyed, 2 magnet and standup brushes) and changed the timing to 12 degrees advance and man that was awesome for a few months. Got bored and wanted some more speed so started playing around with other combos.

Put the 45T commy from the Br00d motor into the 30T tekin case so I could try laydown brushes. That was awesome for a few months too on 12 degrees timing. Much better drag brake but speed just not enough....I've tried 35T tamiya commy in the br00d case and that was a little faster but shit for torque. Played around with an old 23T commy, 16T commy also...Then I decided to go stupid and try out another Br00d motor, this time out of a racing buggy (caster s10b pro v3.5). It's a 10T double wind, no timing, stand up brushes and as I am using 4s, I've turned the forward and reverse epa's down to 70%. I also changed the pinion from 27T to 20T. This has been a great surprise. POWER PLANT CITY! Man this thing moves like brushless with decent low end control, but i figure I could go slightly more torque now.

The stock tyres are causing me to crash at high speed so I've put on some 2.2's with a 7mm hex widener for stability and its awesome... Anyway currently I have ordered what I think to be the pinacle of 4s for the TH. Its being built ATM. It will be a teamBrood handwound 16T with thick gauge wire on a slotted armature for nice start up and i've gone for laydown brushes and epoxy balancing. This should enable me from another test motor i tried, to use 4s with no EPA limiting and I should regain the torque that the 10T simply does not have. Results to follow then probably a video as its crazy atm. Thanks for anyone following my old thread.

I've become an expert at stock front suspension adjustments also if anyone has problems with dogbones falling out I know how to fix that up. Also the 7mm hex wideners give the car just that extra flat footing needed to keep the car from rolling over at speed. Also to anyone removing the spare tyre or thinking about it, I think its saved my car in rollovers to justify its existence more often than not the only thing the car hits on a rollover are the two stand up panels at the back and the tyre and roof, so its really protects in a rollover crash situation...2c!!

Last edited by oo C64 oo; 06-11-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Update July 2015.. Been having major electronics issues for a while. Jittery motor, followed by stop/starting errartically followed by no range with controller. Replaced everything in line, till it turned out my Spektrum 4ch DX4C Tx is a dud. The receivers are fine, the transmitter is poorly designed and after reading through some different rc forums, people are having issues with this product. Its been a costly exercise to fault find, and also after emailing Spektrum, i waited 11 days for them to give me this response:

"Please contact our closest Product Support/Service group for this matter.

USA: Service Center | HorizonHobby
UK: About Us
EU: Horizon Hobby Kontakt
BR: http://www.dinizesteves.com.br/contato.php
AU/NZ: Customer Service

The Spektrum Team"

Yeah um, thanks, I just did that, perhaps you could forward the email to that dept. rather than telling me to do it again.
Needless to say I am really happy with my decision to lose this brand.

I got myself a MT4 by Sanwa. Its definitely a nice upgrade, much better low rpm control, i had no idea my last Tx was so poor with that low range control till I use this new Tx. Its a shame the tiny Rx isn't waterproof, but it also has telemetry which the DX4C did not. But overall I got my 4 channels working awesome.

Also broke a front caster block, where the screw goes in the plastic broke. I bought some vanquish upgrades and very nice, it also gives me better steering throw now...

My new motor has shipped, will post up a video in action...
Thanks for anyone reading.

Tags
build, kit, vaterra twin hammers