Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Transmission kit testing (without servo or motor)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Transmission kit testing (without servo or motor)

I am building a Twin Hammers kit. I've completed the transmission and I am not sure I got everything right.

The shifter rod does not fully engage inward by hand pressure right away when the gears are turned by hand. It does finally engage only after some fiddling with turning the gears several revolutions.

Does the shifting require motor-generated speed before it engages easily to low or high gear?

What is your experience with testing the shifting function prior to installing a servo or motor?

I don't plan to disassemble the tranny to check things out until I install the motor and manually test the shifting at speed to confirm if something is amiss.

Last edited by gfmucci; 04-26-2015 at 10:26 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Transmission kit testing (without servo or motor)

Sounds to me like it's probably operating normally. The gears have to be moving to engage.
coryshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryshad View Post
Sounds to me like it's probably operating normally. The gears have to be moving to engage.
The question I have is do they have to be moving at least several hundred RPM (as with a motor) as opposed to just turning the shaft by hand to test? I've turned the shaft by hand several revolutions expecting the gears to engage, but even after several revolutions they don't fall into place sometime. Well, I'm getting the motor at the end of this week, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by gfmucci; 04-26-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I noticed when I built mine that it did the same thing. I took the trans back apart, and polished up all the mating surfaces between the lower selector and corresponding gears. All to no avail. Later noticed some one mention polishing the shift shaft where it passes through the trans case, so I took it back apart and did that, and it seemed to help a little.

Really though, everything is so tight fitting that if it shifts at all in your hands by finger pressure, it will "work itself in" when a servo is running it while your shifting gears on the go.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ahaa. That is what I was hoping...it all needs time to work itself in - nothing that a few hundred thousand RPM and a few dozen shifts won't cure. I was dreading taking it apart again. Those screws are awfully tight. I was even looking at replacement screws if I messed up the heads pulling them out.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

I built my transmission this morning and the transmission feels extremely tight. I know there's a ton of gears in there and I used black grease. I'm thinking I should take it back apart to make sure everything is correct.

My question is are they all real tight feeling?
Lewis110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis110 View Post
I built my transmission this morning and the transmission feels extremely tight. I know there's a ton of gears in there and I used black grease. I'm thinking I should take it back apart to make sure everything is correct.

My question is are they all real tight feeling?
Good question. Based on both your and my experience, my guess is all the kit transmission case screws are very tight - I mean torque screwdriver 10 tight. That is why I didn't take it apart again to check it out because I would probably screw up more than I fixed. The tranny works fine as long as the transmitter settings are correct. That has been my biggest challenge. Sometimes it shifts fine - other times it takes a few seconds to click into gear.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

I took it apart this morning and checked everything out. Its the way the manual says, so it must be good lol

I was having a problem with shifting also. It just would not shift into high gear. polished the shifter shaft up. Reamed out the slightly where it slides into. And still nothing, went back to the manual yet again. A word of advice, when building the kit. Don't just look at the photos lol I had the 6.5mm spacer installed like the photo shows. But that just locked it into low gear. I guess some times you gotta read the fine print.

The trans still does feel tight when turning it by hand. But is slightly better now. So I'm guessing it will only get better once I get running it.
Lewis110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Transmission kit testing (without servo or motor) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testing a motor? spstimie Electronics 2 03-28-2012 06:33 PM
ZNO-low chassis kit, 3s lipo, testing. bpd964 Redcat Crawlers 15 02-02-2011 06:02 PM
scx10 truggy conv kit testing ROLANDROCKSHOP Scale Videos! 0 08-23-2010 09:13 AM
Testing my BMV2 with R2/DIG transmission rockwerks Videos! 19 08-17-2007 09:19 AM