Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Brushless Motor Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Brushless Motor Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading my hammer to a brushless system soon and I was wondering what you guys recommend. So far I've considered
1. Holmes Hobbies BL-Pro
2. Tekin Roc412
3. Tekin Redline 17.5
4. Novak Goat 18.5

Both the Tekin Redline and the Novak Goat were recommended to me. Now I am running only a 2s 4000?. I'm not sure on the amp of the battery because I can't remember off hand. It will be paired with the MMP.
wolfsbone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Brushless Motor Suggestions?

Not an option listed but i run a traxxal vxl motor with hobbywing sc8 on rock crawling mode.
Forward/reverse with no brake. Drag brake at 15%. Very little cogging
And good speed with stock spur an 20 tooth pinion.
sherman918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think your on the right track by going with a quality motor the first go around.

I've been running a Tekin 17.5 original gen (no holes in the can) for over six monthes now on 2s geared anywhere from 22/76 to 28/78 and am happy with a topspeed in the mid to upper teens and plenty of creepability.

No experience with the Holmes motor so I can't comment there.

I've run a Pro 4, which is similar to a Roc412, and it basically destroys drive-train parts in anything it's bolted to. I honestly think it would be overkill in a Twin Hammers.

The Novak motors are probably as good as the first gen Tekin Redlines. While I don't have their 18.5, I've run a 17.5 and an 8.5 and liked both. One literally lasted three years and many hundreds of packs.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I run the castle 3800 sidewinder combo geared with a 28 tooth pinion on 3s bead lock wheels and 1.9 irocs. Motor temps are 130 to 140 and I have yet to destroy any driveline parts after well over 100 packs. Speed is in the low 30s and to be honest, it's really too fast for the suspension. I am usually 25-75 percent throttle. I don't have the super slow creep that a quality sensored system would have but it's mostly waterproof and I like that a great deal.

Don't be concerned with overkill. Sudden burts of torque break parts, not Rpms and speed. If you want slow speed precision get a sensored system, if not anything else will do.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I went with the Tekin Roc412 3100Kv. I left it in stock gearing and boy do I love it, 1st gear nice low end crawl and good top end, but up shift to 2nd and boy I can't even control it in turns. I love it and never going back to a brushed setup.
wolfsbone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I bought an uncensored Hobbywing 4 pole brushless motor by mistake and was kicking myself for not paying enough attention to get a sensored setup. But I see on the TH threads that there are about as many guys running sensorless as sensored. What do you make of that? Are folks just avoiding the higher cost of a sensored unit or is there just not that much benefit for your style of running?

How would you guys rate the priority of the following motor features if you were doing equal parts crawling and trail running and why?

4-pole
Brushless
Sensored
K below 3000?

Last edited by gfmucci; 05-24-2015 at 09:59 PM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Im running Rocket Racing 3100kv with Castle Sidewinder 3 esc and 1800mah 6 cell NiMh battery. I runs with little heat on the motor and ESC.
W1ck3d0n3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I do all sorts of stuff with my Twin Hammers. I run it a lot in both high gear and low gear. I race my son's Yeti, we hill climb, we rock crawl, rock bounce, throw roosts, send jumps to flat... you know, general RC driving.

In mine is the Dynamite Fuze 3300kv system with the corresponding ESC. I have only run it on 2S, and I've been having a blast. It was cheap, has been annoyingly reliable and is waterproof. It's not what most would call a quality brushless system, and they're right I guess? But it was only $100 for the ESC and motor together and my Twin Hammers is fast enough to be ridiculous, and still crawls/bounces/hill climbs well in low gear.

FYI: I have the Dynamite Fuze 3900kv system in my son's Yeti and that system is beast on 2S! Apparently I'm a total idiot because I think 30mph is fast, but ignorance is bliss I suppose. We love the Dynamite Fuze offerings!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
idk
Quarry Creeper

I ran

Skyrc 60amp 10.5 t on 3s perfect speed lock in high crawled fine

Brushed ESC and 20t throw away on 3s slower but crawler as well.

Next motor rebuilable 27t on 3s

3s seems jump y when crawling but handle speed well. I'm gonna try a 13.5t aswell. Home this helps

I'm not happy yet
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I do all sorts of stuff with my Twin Hammers. I run it a lot in both high gear and low gear. I race my son's Yeti, we hill climb, we rock crawl, rock bounce, throw roosts, send jumps to flat... you know, general RC driving.

In mine is the Dynamite Fuze 3300kv system with the corresponding ESC. I have only run it on 2S, and I've been having a blast. It was cheap, has been annoyingly reliable and is waterproof. It's not what most would call a quality brushless system, and they're right I guess? But it was only $100 for the ESC and motor together and my Twin Hammers is fast enough to be ridiculous, and still crawls/bounces/hill climbs well in low gear.

FYI: I have the Dynamite Fuze 3900kv system in my son's Yeti and that system is beast on 2S! Apparently I'm a total idiot because I think 30mph is fast, but ignorance is bliss I suppose. We love the Dynamite Fuze offerings!
With this kind of vehicle 30mph IS fast, there are vids of some running at 50mph+ that show massive cartwheels and no control, if you want to keep your stuff together and working 30mph is a good speed to max out at.

I have a $50 brushless combo in mine.... haha, will only change it once I have everything else sorted.
Chicken Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless Motor Suggestions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LiPo Batteries and charger recomendations? Brushless motor suggestions? FossilJunkie Electronics 7 06-08-2012 11:55 AM
going brushless what are your thought and suggestions Jslick 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 03-05-2012 07:26 PM
Brushless systems for Comp Crawler? suggestions? Goomone Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2010 02:07 PM
13.5 Novak Sensored Brushless....Any suggestions? matthewjbear Team Losi Comp Crawler 32 06-26-2009 05:58 PM
Brushless motor suggestions glen Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 10-24-2007 12:47 PM