Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Another Twin Scorcher THug Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Another Twin Scorcher THug Build

I've been building micro's for a while now, and have a few builds under my belt, but now I think it's time for me to do my first 1:10 build. I have not given up on the micro's, I'll be working on them again soon. I have several that are still yet to be finished, including a 1:20 scale class 5 Baja Bug. Which leads me to this, my Twin Scorcher THug build. This last Father's Day I treated myself to an older RTR that had been sitting all alone on the shelf at Hobby Town for too long. So because of this I got it for a fair price, and I've been loving it ever since! I really haven't done much other than a rear anti sway bar, and a paint job. But I did immediately order a Sand Scorcher body because I've been really inspired by all the Twin Hammers bug builds out there. In fact, that's what inspired me to build a 1:20 version in the first place. Now after I finish both builds I'll have bugs in both 1:10, and 1:20 scales! Anyway as far as this build goes, I don't have a whole lot of plans as of yet, but I have a few ideas in mind. I just have to start doing some mock ups to see exactly where I'll end up going with it. While I was up in Reno last week, I stopped by CKRC and picked up a set of RC4WD Dirtgrabbers. They have a nice scale look to them, and will look good in my opinion, all though I'll want something a little more aggressive if I take her on the rocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Correcting oversized images ...
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another Twin Scorcher THug Build

i cant wait to see this one (:<
if you need a solution to the crap steering Sr. Irie makes the best ive ever seen (;
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've actually decided that I want one of his kits for this build, they're awesome, and are the most scale looking upright shocks available in my opinion! The only problem is $, or the lack there of. I've just got a lot going this month, so maybe I'll add one as I go. His kits do have me droolin' though.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i got the full suspension and steering kit
it works like a charm
so well i stripped a cheapie traxxas servo already (all i had handy to get everything working)
there truly is NO slop
Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I was playing around with some mock ups tonight. This thing will definitely need to lose most of the fenders, but I feel I should be able to keep the whole front end. It'll just need a good skid plate/bumper out front to protect it. I'm still just not sure how much of the cage I'm going to cut, or where I'm going to put the battery... I really need to get some wheels to mount my tires on so I can mock up the proper clearance. I don't want to cut more than I need to!
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:32 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Billy Rob View Post
I was playing around with some mock ups tonight. This thing will definitely need to lose most of the fenders, but I feel I should be able to keep the whole front end. It'll just need a good skid plate/bumper out front to protect it. I'm still just not sure how much of the cage I'm going to cut, or where I'm going to put the battery... I really need to get some wheels to mount my tires on so I can mock up the proper clearance. I don't want to cut more than I need to!
Wow, that's frickin hawt!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Last night I was digging around out in the garage, and found some 1/8" music wire I forgot about. I think I might just try to make my own cage for this thing. Just have to go get a torch, and some brazing rod. It will be my first cage, so we'll see if it works. As an ex-jeweler, I'm no stranger to brazing though. Should be fun.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
need to lose most of the fenders
That is the part I need to find away around.

As for the cage it really needs a new one to look as it should, they end up to low in the body. I think I am going to have to get one and do some modifakating, because that looks good. Other than it needs wide eyes of course.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

updates?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microcrawlers View Post
updates?
Not really... I broke the front spring mount, and a wheel hex, and I don't really have any funds for parts. Also I kinda lost steam for the bug body after seeing another members pre-runner style build. Now I really want to take this thing in a new direction. I've been thinking about just mounting the body around the stock cage for now because I have the body. I figure I'll just run the bug until it gets thrashed, then I'll get me a truck body and some scx-10 rails!

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 10-06-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've gotten back on this build, after a long hiatus. I've been working on some of my micro builds, but I thought it was about time to get this one done. I took inspiration from Wheelbyte's Twin Hammers build, and kinda followed his lead. So far I've cut up the cage, relocated the spare, cut up the body, and well, that's about it. Everything is just rough cut, (Very Rough)! So I still have to go back in and smooth everything out. I plan to relocate the battery to the inside, above the stock ESC and steering servo. It should fit nicely under a custom interior, that has yet to be made. The wheels on it right now are just for mockup purposes, I have a set of RC4WD wagon wheels on order, but I do plan to keep the Dirt Grabbers. I really love the way they look on here. I just wish they sold them in singles, the stock spare looks huge in comparison! If anyone has a lonely single Dirt Grabber, hit me up! Alright, now it's time for pics, please excuse the fact that my lame iPad will only let me post one pic per post.

Here's a side shot!

Top view.
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Roof rack?
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

And one more, a shot of her with her mini-me. 1/10, and 1/20 scale!
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've been spending my free time working on this thing, but I just haven't posted in awhile. So far I've finished most of the body work, started on an interior, added some scale accessories, a new bumper, some screen on the rear windows, and mounted up a roof rack and light bar! I've still got to finish up the interior, a little final bodywork, add lights, get a better scale spare, make some inner fenders, etc, etc. And paint! I'm also thinking of cutting down the bumper a bit.

Another front end shot:
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #15

Thanks for keeping this going. I have one coming in the mail and a Tamiya sand scorcher body on order (I'm such a copy cat but just like this look way too much)

After lots of reading and looking, I'm thinking about keeping the TH pretty much stock. I'll be running this for speed on dirt and gravel and not really crawling too much, maybe a little. Are those 1.55s you have on there?

Any opinions on how to improve the stock steering while retaining the stock shocks? I don't want upright shocks to interfere with the bug body.

Last edited by eMoon; 11-13-2015 at 09:33 AM.
eMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thanks Emoon! Don't worry about being a copycat, I think I copied half a dozen people on this build. As for the wheels, they're 1.9's. And there's also a forum member by the name of Sr. Irie that makes a bell rank steering kit that works with the TH. I'd actually like to get one myself.
I've done some more work on this thing. I'll post some pics later. I'm actually almost done with it. I just have to finish a few things, then it's off to paint!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

At this point I feel like I'm done with building, and I'm ready for paint. I just need to wait for some warmer weather. While its out to paint, I plan to refill the shocks, and do some waterproofing.

Interior:

Rear lights:
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 07-22-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #18

Nice! I am planning inner fenders and interior to enclose the body too. Styrene I assume? Love the roof rack too. Can't wait to see what you do with paint.

What electronics are you running here?

Last edited by eMoon; 11-25-2015 at 03:35 AM.
eMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

In my opinion, that is one of the downfalls to the TH. It's diff is set so high and pretty much runs at full droop, so that full compression makes the tires go through the fenders when a body is positioned where it should be.

I think I want to make a custom chassis for the TH drivetrain. That puts the front diff below the trans like a normal car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMoon View Post
Nice! I am planning inner fenders and interior to enclose the body too. Styrene I assume? Love the roof rack too. Can't wait to see what you do with paint.

What electronics are you running here?
Yes, it's all Styrene. I seem to like working with the stuff. As for electronics, the whole thing underneath is just an older stock RTR. So far I haven't upgraded anything. All I've done is add a rear anti sway bar. I've been more focused on building. On a side note, I plan to try and get some paint done this weekend. I've been busy with another build lately so this one has been on the shelf. But now both are needing some paint, so it's time!

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 12-04-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Another Twin Scorcher THug Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DMG Thug Chassis based build.... allanon1965 2.2 Scale Rigs 37 05-28-2018 03:13 PM
Mcnasty_99 DMG Thug Build Hellyeah II Axial Wraith 17 11-02-2015 11:02 PM
scorcher bodied build snowman13 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 04-30-2014 05:35 PM
My Twin...Twin Hammers build start sanny632 Vaterra Twin Hammers 8 03-09-2014 12:01 PM