Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: TH RTR or Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Default TH RTR or Kit?

Hello RCCrawlers,
I am new here and newish to RC, but wanting to get back into it... build a Tamiya Montera back in Jr high (20+ years ago).. so not being too mechanically inclined and to be honest a bit intimidated by all the various options out there, i am debating if I should get the Twin Hammers RTR w/ some options (locker, sway bars, etc) or go w/ the kit and build from ground up...

Your advice is appreciated,
Cheers,
Q
q_at96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TH RTR or Kit?

If you like to build things and have the skill set, then the kit is for you. The kit comes with almost all the hop ups you will want,and the body does not have the funny looking lights on it. It will cost more in the long run if you need a radio but do not add in the price of servos, you will need/want them either way, kit or RTR.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Go with the kit. If the kit was out when I bought my roller used I would have bought the kit.
joe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My vote is kit...
Helping my wife build hers currently...
The directions and bagging is some of the best I have ever worked on, tons better than the last axial kit I put together.
Another advantage is you are intimately familiar with the mechanical bits, when/if something breaks.
More advantages, the choice of electronics (cheap or expensive), metal trans gears, sway bars, front locker, and the knowledge it was put together right with enough loctite, and grease.

Bad things ... Some screws are difficult to thread, easy to strip. You have to buy electronics, and a pinion.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Go for the kit. It has several hop-ups incorporated, among it, sway bars (absulutely needed if You want control at speed) and steel gears for the shifter. I never broke the plastic gears, but better sure than sorry.

Added to the hop-ups, building a car, wil get You up to speed with the current state of technology. Remember to grease screws You thread in plastic, and building will be a breeze. A tiiiny dab of Tamiya ceramic grease on every self-tapping screw, is what I have always used.

If You go for the kit, I'd recommend the new, and very compact, Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC with a Redcat brushed 15t 550-sized motor(or any other brand, same 15t 550 motor, different sticker on it, there are many). Don't go for the standard 15t 540!! They are pretty quick, but gobble amps, run hot, and burn way too easy for my taste.

I tried several combo's, up to a luxurious LRP3300 stock spec sensored brushless, went great, but the weather has been atrocious overhere. More rain than seems natural, and sensored systems and water? Recepy for trouble. The brushed 15t 550 and the quickrun, however kept going and going. The ample torque of the long-can 550 made all the difference too. And it's as cheap as it gets.

AFA batteries go, Turnigy 2200 nano's, or zippy's (lipo) are about $10.-, and get You around 25 minutes of running with the 15t 550. A bit less with the traxxas 12t. Much longer if You stay in 1st gear.. but..yeah.. shifting is just too darned much fun, so I only tried that once. Called it quits after half an hour..

Remember to buy a LiPo-charger. Trying to charge a LiPo with an old NiCad charger will only lead to some peculiar hissing, and then an impressive fireball.... Don't ask..

You know what? I got some time. I'll make You a small list.

What You'll need:
  • Steel Pinion gear 25t to 28t, 48pitch
  • ESC Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 f.i. (Stay away from the water-resistant Dynamite offering that comes standard with the RTR. It's laggy and horrible)
  • Simple brushed motor. Say 35 to 55 turn for crawlin' purism. 12t (Traxxas) or 15t 550 for more speed.
  • 3-channel transmitter&receiver 2.4 ghz
  • water-resistant, steel-geared servo normal size for steering
  • water-resistant, steel-geared servo mini-size If You want to use the shifter
  • small-sized LiPo. 2200mah are mostly exactly the right size. A 4000mah shorty also works. Is more expensive, though.
  • LiPo charger

That'll get You running. Ball-bearings are (unlike most Tamiya kits) already included.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jay-Em; 12-01-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Go for the kit. It has several hop-ups incorporated, among it, sway bars (absulutely needed if You want control at speed) and steel gears for the shifter. I never broke the plastic gears, but better sure than sorry.

Added to the hop-ups, building a car, wil get You up to speed with the current state of technology. Remember to grease screws You thread in plastic, and building will be a breeze. A tiiiny dab of Tamiya ceramic grease on every self-tapping screw, is what I have always used.

If You go for the kit, I'd recommend the new, and very compact, Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 ESC with a Redcat brushed 15t 550-sized motor(or any other brand, same 15t 550 motor, different sticker on it, there are many). Don't go for the standard 15t 540!! They are pretty quick, but gobble amps, run hot, and burn way too easy for my taste.

I tried several combo's, up to a luxurious LRP3300 stock spec sensored brushless, went great, but the weather has been atrocious overhere. More rain than seems natural, and sensored systems and water? Recepy for trouble. The brushed 15t 550 and the quickrun, however kept going and going. The ample torque of the long-can 550 made all the difference too. And it's as cheap as it gets.

AFA batteries go, Turnigy 2200 nano's, or zippy's (lipo) are about $10.-, and get You around 25 minutes of running with the 15t 550. A bit less with the traxxas 12t. Much longer if You stay in 1st gear.. but..yeah.. shifting is just too darned much fun, so I only tried that once. Called it quits after half an hour..

Remember to buy a LiPo-charger. Trying to charge a LiPo with an old NiCad charger will only lead to some peculiar hissing, and then an impressive fireball.... Don't ask..

You know what? I got some time. I'll make You a small list.

What You'll need:
  • Steel Pinion gear 25t to 28t, 48pitch
  • ESC Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 f.i. (Stay away from the water-resistant Dynamite offering that comes standard with the RTR. It's laggy and horrible)
  • Simple brushed motor. Say 35 to 55 turn for crawlin' purism. 12t (Traxxas) or 15t 550 for more speed.
  • 3-channel transmitter&receiver 2.4 ghz
  • water-resistant, steel-geared servo normal size for steering
  • water-resistant, steel-geared servo mini-size If You want to use the shifter
  • small-sized LiPo. 2200mah are mostly exactly the right size. A 4000mah shorty also works. Is more expensive, though.
  • LiPo charger

That'll get You running. Ball-bearings are (unlike most Tamiya kits) already included.

Good luck!
Great info!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

If it's not too late let me offer an alternative view...

I've built several RC cars in the past. Most were Tamiya cars. My last build-up was their Wild Dagger dual motor 4x4 Tamiya which originally came with two standard 27t 540's.

I did multiple upgrades from standard aftermarket suspension components to creating my own chassis from Aluminum stock, upgrading to an ESC with dual 19t race 540's which resulted in a car that was wickedly fast, barely controllable culminating in a lot of broken steering components without me ever being able to enjoy it. In the end, I downgraded it to the original setup so I could actually enjoy it.

So fast forward to today... I also recently bought a Twin Hammers V2 RTR instead of the kit because I want to start with a known reliable setup and enjoy it as I upgrade rather than risk messing it up from the gitgo without ever enjoying it.

One thing I should point out as well is the V2 version has what I understand is an RC system that's def. superior to the one that came with the original Twin Hammers which is one area that I've heard makes it worth it over the original.

So far I enjoyed it for a couple of weeks while I waiting for the upgraded Hot Racing Aluminum rear suspension arms from Hot Racing to arrive. I installed those last week and continue to enjoy the car as I ordered more upgrades. Recently I received the GCM front aluminum shock towers & GMade 85mm oil shocks that go with it and now quandary is...

Do I install it immediately play with it for a while first, or upgrade it first?

IMHO, it's a nice problem to have. ;)

HTH

Pic from the results of running it and rolling over in mud today....

Last edited by Ca. Off Roader; 12-17-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote

TH RTR or Kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith kit or RTR kit champ198 Axial Wraith 2 05-02-2013 02:02 PM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM