Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops.

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Vaterra Twin Hammers (2nd gen.) RTR kit. I'm not totally new to RC cars/trucks but it's been close to a decade since I was into it so I'm hoping some of you might have some advice on upgrading the front suspension.

I've run it a few times and like many of you have elected to start making some upgrades/modifications including the GCM shock hoop setup. (For the fun of it and not for performance gains necessarily...)

I do plan to put a battery up front (5800mah Turnigy 2S2P 30~60C).

Along with the hoops, I purchased an 85mm G-Made 21207 shock set, as well as an Axial AX30090 (61-90mm) shock set.

Any suggestions on the shock oil? I see Team Losi offers a shock oil set with 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, & 100 weight oil but I'm not sure what weight makes sense to use for this setup.

I'm also unsure if the springs that come with the shocks is what I should use.

Also, where are you all buying your upgrades? Amazon? Local Hobby shop? eBay?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Ray
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops.

Start with Springs that come with shocks and 30 weight oil, drive it for at least a full battery pack on all types terrain and set how it does. Then change one thing at a time and test again. Then update this thread or your build thread and ask follow up questions as needed.

I try to buy at lhs, but sometimes use rpphobby or Amain for parts they don't have.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Start with Springs that come with shocks and 30 weight oil, drive it for at least a full battery pack on all types terrain and set how it does. Then change one thing at a time and test again. Then update this thread or your build thread and ask follow up questions as needed.

I try to buy at lhs, but sometimes use rpphobby or Amain for parts they don't have.
Thanks for the advice! Will do, although unfortunately before I read your reply I had already read on another thread to try 20 & 25 IIRC so I already bought some at my lhs and will try that since it's what I have at hand and will go to 30 weight if needed.

Last edited by Ca. Off Roader; 12-14-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Just curious if you had any new information on this... I'm in the same position as you.

Been lurking around here ever since my brother picked up a Wraith and started getting addicted to RC crawling a while back. The more I researched, the more I saw a 1.9 rig with a two speed trans being my kind of thing. I'm getting into the hobby mostly because I like to tinker with things... I figure this one will keep me busy!

I bought the GMade Piggybacks to go with my GCM tower (85 front/103 rear), and I'll be playing with shock oil and spring stiffness along with you. I'd be very interested in hearing what kind of results you get.
TimeBomb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Truth be told I haven't installed the shock towers yet so I haven't touched the shocks beyond basic assembly. Otherwise, I'm still fiddling with installing an AMF large battery tray in back, GCM roof, hood, the associated LED lights & their scale interior to go along with it, & an HR Aluminum Bumper w/ winch.

Yeah, it didn't take long for the wallet to lighten a bit now that I've gotten back into it.

Last edited by Ca. Off Roader; 12-22-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

I have done a little experimentation this last week. The stock suspension was very plush in the rear and had all sorts of body roll. The articulation was nice, but it was very easy to get a rear tire to bounce and twist while crawling and screw the position of the buggy up. The front was the opposite, very heavy and bouncy with not much travel from a foot tall drop to the ground. The front had zero droop at ride height.

I have installed the GCM hoops, and GMade XD Piggybacks, and am much happier with my very limited testing. I used the 3-hole pistons on both sets, the GMade shock oil 15 or 20 weight if I had to guess, and Associated 30 weight up front. The rear stiffness and damping is slightly increased, the battery moving forward helped too. The front end can droop a little now, and the rear has quite a bit more available. Im still not happy with the front end and will probably use a softer spring. Im also trying to figure out a way to get more travel up there. She bottoms out with quite a bit of ground clearance yet. Maybe a taller shock hoop...?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Finally installed the shock towers and GMade XD Piggyback shocks. I used their 2 hole Pistons with 20wt oil and the included spring is almost too stiff. I've backed off the adjustment nut completely to the minimum setting and incredibly the TH is now uber stable on high speed runs LOL, but I'm not sure how compliant the front will be off road. Will try and do some testing later today and let you all know.

Any insights in advance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca. Off Roader View Post
Finally installed the shock towers and GMade XD Piggyback shocks. I used their 2 hole Pistons with 20wt oil and the included spring is almost too stiff. I've backed off the adjustment nut completely to the minimum setting and incredibly the TH is now uber stable on high speed runs LOL, but I'm not sure how compliant the front will be off road. Will try and do some testing later today and let you all know.

Any insights in advance would be greatly appreciated.
You are correct. I use GMades and had to buy their softest spring and run the 3 hole Pistons with 20 weight. I don't have the battery in front and I don't run the silly rubber bump stop since it accomplishes nothing. That was the ticket for me. Also ran 6 mm of fuel tubing internally on the shocks to prevent the dog bones from popping out.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
You are correct. I use GMades and had to buy their softest spring and run the 3 hole Pistons with 20 weight. I don't have the battery in front and I don't run the silly rubber bump stop since it accomplishes nothing. That was the ticket for me. Also ran 6 mm of fuel tubing internally on the shocks to prevent the dog bones from popping out.
Ah, thanks for that insight. Will need to look into softer springs (do you happen to have a p/n or source for them?) and adding the fuel tubing internally to limit the shock extension as the dog bones did come out on the 3rd or 4th test run.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca. Off Roader View Post
Ah, thanks for that insight. Will need to look into softer springs (do you happen to have a p/n or source for them?) and adding the fuel tubing internally to limit the shock extension as the dog bones did come out on the 3rd or 4th test run.
Use google. Parts number GM0020030 for the 50MM green springs for 5 dollars. If you go to gmade.net and click on parts you can also find it.

I found without going to the super soft springs I had almost no front suspension action unless I jumped the rig.... everything was happening in the rear. I now run some droop in the back and get the action I am looking for. Be very careful on the oil though. You have to move up to the 3 hols pistons. I tried 10 weight in the 2 holes and couldn't get it the way I wanted. Now that it's cold here in tx, the oil has thickened up when I run it outside and I am back to almost no front suspension travel. At 70 degrees, my set up works perfectly. At 30 I would still need lighter oil.

Hope that helps.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

I'm running the GMade Green springs on my XD, battery up front, 30wt oil with the 3-hole piston, and the collar bottomed out at the top of the body. It now actually flexes a little when crawling, rocks the corners, and droops a tad in the front for once. You can drop the little bugger from about 24" before it starts bouncing a wheel back off the ground.

I want a remote-disconnectable rear sway bar... I think my next purchase will be the rear bar kit.

-Travis
Old 01-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeBomb572 View Post
I'm running the GMade Green springs on my XD, battery up front, 30wt oil with the 3-hole piston, and the collar bottomed out at the top of the body. It now actually flexes a little when crawling, rocks the corners, and droops a tad in the front for once. You can drop the little bugger from about 24" before it starts bouncing a wheel back off the ground.

I want a remote-disconnectable rear sway bar... I think my next purchase will be the rear bar kit.

-Travis
Well, mine is prob much lighter up front w just the rx & esc up there. I may need even softer springs. dang...

Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Internal Spring Shock Advice... T Bone 347 Axial SCX-10 3 06-09-2012 05:54 PM
SCX10 Shock upgraded Shock hoops natskiboy Axial SCX-10 15 05-18-2012 12:13 PM
Need some shock spring advice menace Newbie General 3 03-15-2011 07:12 PM