Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Joined the TH Club, New....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Joined the TH Club, New....

Essentially new to RC'ing. I had a Ofna Nitro way back that I use to wrench on(and drive maybe 5% of the time lol) but other than that no experience. I also have a 6 1/2 year old son who I'm introducing RC's to with a Maisto Rock Crawler 3xl. I'll see where it goes from there. I'm hoping it's something he will get in to and we can do it together.

I researched over the last month or two which lead me to 1/8 buggies and crawling. I was pretty settled on a SCX10 and crawling but the speed, jumping, etc of the 1/8 buggies kept me undecided.

More research lead me to the Wraiths then eventually to, RR10, Yeti, 4x4 SCTs and the Twin Hammer. At the end it was a toss up between the Yeti and TH for what I feel seems to be a well balance of what I would get with a buggy and rock climber. Over all the TH won me out because of it's size, looks, and over all package. Plus I was reading up on the Yeti and there seemed to be lots of complaints.

I went with the Twin Hammer DT. I just liked the looks better. I'm not sure if it was the right choice over the V2 being only a $40 difference. Clearly the remote is better with the V2 and it's standard 2 speeds. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Anyways, Santa brings it tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have questions in the up coming weeks and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Regards,

Justin

Last edited by Tyr-Sog; 12-24-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Tyr-Sog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Joined the TH Club, New....

Welcome to the T. H. club. I recently got a second one for my wife, and have been beating on mine for several months. Weak spots are front suspension, and the steering. Both easy fixes via Sr. Irie, and gcm.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the club. The GCM front shock mouts and plate is a good first upgrade, if your going to run brushless upgrade your dirvelines. Im not sure what the DT comes with but if there plastic the git metal ones. But over all the TH is a good all around rig. I have mine set up to run U4 but it still crawls good.
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the welcoming and couple of tips.

She's still in the box. Was just a busy day. My sons Maisto Rock Crawler 3xl was a hit, well for the 10 minutes it ran before the back two tires stopped moving.. What a POS lol. Seeing his reaction was enough for me to determine if I should spend more on a hobby grade RC.

I think I'm going to go get him a ECX Ruckus 4x4 brushed for $198. Seems to get good feedback, especially for a beginner.

I've already started researching mods, I can see this getting real fun(and $$$ lol)

Last edited by Tyr-Sog; 12-25-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

Hopefully this helps your initial experience to be better than mine. Before start up, tighten the set screws on the driveshafts and use blue loctite. Make absolutely sure your shift servo is set right or it will lunch itself. I got my TH yesterday as my first RC adventure, and didnt know that the weird zzzbzbzzbzzzzz noise was the shift servo tryinf sucessfully to burn itself up. Also check wheel nuts, mine havent liked to stay tight.

Other than that, I love it. Two speed transmission makes it a lot more fun than my brother's wraith!
TimeBomb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the tips again!

I guess I didn't take in to account the body screws vs clips, what a PITA lol.

I've only had time to put one battery through it so far but it was enjoyable.

My son have had a bit of bad luck. The toy grade car I got him lasted all of 10 minutes before the back wheels gave out.

So yesterday I took him up to our LHS and we picked up a ECX Ruckus 4x4. 5 minutes in to the first battery and all four tires locked up. So back to the store today.

Joined the TH Club, New.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joined the cool kids club! MAXXMASHER Vaterra Ascender 81 08-07-2015 09:26 PM
Tgh joined the club tgh117 Vaterra Ascender 19 06-24-2015 08:51 PM
Joined the club today MinuteMan Axial Yeti XL 6 03-26-2015 07:58 AM
Just Joined The TF2 Club hibbs RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 12-27-2012 08:49 PM
Joined the Club LeDevil HPI Wheely King 19 03-08-2010 09:38 PM