Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Twin Hammers Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #1

Default Vaterra Twin Hammers Battery

I just ordered my new TH and I'm not sure what battery to use? I would like to stay with a 2s and the same size to fit the stock tray, thanks.
KxRacer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vaterra Twin Hammers Battery

Most shorty packs fit, they are usually around 4000-5000mah
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I picked up a couple 2s, 2000mah, 35 c batteries, from venom.$25 They fit great, actually a little small for the tray.
My 2000,mah 20c 3s battery fits perfectly.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I picked up a couple 2s, 2000mah, 35 c batteries, from venom.$25 They fit great, actually a little small for the tray.
My 2000,mah 20c 3s battery fits perfectly.
How long of a run time do you normally get out of your 2s? Does the mAH make that big of a difference?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The mah make all the difference. MilliAmpHours(mah) is the rated capacity of the battery. The larger the number the more capacity the battery has. Running my 4000kv brushless system (70amp) I get about 20 min of run time before the lipo cut off kicks in.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Thanks lonely I'll check it out, does anyone know the battery tray demensions of the sideways tray? Would like to put a 96x46.4x25mm shorty in there sideways and was wondering it it would fit? Thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Welcome to the forum. Going to recommend two things for your twin hammer irie's steering bell crank and GCM front plate with the upright shock hoops. It will save you a lot aggravation down the road. And with the GCM front plate you can mount the shorty battery.
joe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe007 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Going to recommend two things for your twin hammer irie's steering bell crank and GCM front plate with the upright shock hoops. It will save you a lot aggravation down the road. And with the GCM front plate you can mount the shorty battery.
Thanks Joe, I was planning on getting the GCM Shock towers eventually but for now was just gonna run it stock for a bit. And the reason I was gonna get a shorty is because I knew they would work with the GCM towers and stock.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The stock battery gave me 20-45 min run times depending on how throttle happy I was being.

They do make higher capacity packs that fit in the stock location. I have a 3000 (or was it 3200) mah one as well IIRC which gave me an extra 10-15 min run time.

Alternatively you can also run saddle packs across the back although they will shift your balance rearward. I have a 5000 mah saddleback battery as well but didn't stay with them due to the weight offset.

All said I think I prefer the largeer tray with a 5000mah battery. This setup doesn't seem shift the weight to the front or rear as much as the other alternatives.

FWIW, I'm also running the GCM shock hoops up front and instead of putting a battery up front, I moved my electronics up there to make room for my driver. Some days it's shaggy, and other days it's a storm trooper, LOL

However since I'm going to a brushless setup soon, I ended up upgrading the stock tray to an aftermarket large battery tray and now a 5000mah battery.
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This one fits perfectly.
Dynamite Reaction 7 4V 4000mAh 2S 50c LiPo Hardcase 96mm DYNB3800EC | eBay
Old 01-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

Alright so I ended up getting a Turnigy 4200mAH shorty, and now I'm trying to pick out a servo due to hearing a lot of bad things about them. I already got a new shifting servo, but was wondering what is a good full sized steering servo that doesn't break the bank? Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I haven't had any issues with the servos but I'm not going nuts with it yet LOL...

I should note that mine is the V2 RTR.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca. Off Roader View Post
I haven't had any issues with the servos but I'm not going nuts with it yet LOL...

I should note that mine is the V2 RTR.
What is the difference between the V2 and the normal RTR? And I have heard bad about both, lol. But I'm not planning on bashing mine a ton, just plan on crawling a little and doing some creek and/or trail runs.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The issue with steering servo's in the Twin hammers is mainly due to the stock sliding rack setup. It somehow develops tons of slop, yet binds horrifficly once it has any real use and that is very hard on the servo to constantly be fighting against a stall situation. The St. Erie bellcrank is, IMO, a must have as it eliminates both the slop and the binding. It does slightly reduce the effective leverage ratio because of space constraints, so you'll still want a good servo.

I have no suggestions for cheap servos as I've killed them all and will now only run quality servos, such as Hitec 7954, 7950, 7955. You can, and will, buy many cheap servos for the price of one good servo.

As far as batteries go, I've found the Twin Hammers to perform best with a lighter, smaller MAH (as in 2200 or less) pack since it sits fairly high and to the rear. If you relocate the battery to under the interior then a larger pack isn't as noticable since it is more centered front-back and lower. I once ran an endurance race where you had to carry all your batteries on the truck, and it handled and climbed miserably with 2 2200's in the stock location.

For budget batteries I've been running Turnigy and Zippy 2200 mah 40C 2s packs for over a year now. At $10 a pop I can stuff a few in the pockets when I go adventuring. I get about 15 minutes runtime of full-throttle snow bashing, and at least a half hour of general trail running. Occasionally can eek 45 minutes if just lightly crawling. This is with a Tekin 17.5 brushless, so your "mileage" may vary depending on powerplant.

Do the "oversized" battery trays limit rear suspension uptravel at all?

One thing to keep in mind about the GCM upright shock conversion is that it is much heavier than St Erie's alternative. Lightweight=might. I've seen the GCM setup in person and it is a work of art, but I just care about performance.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KxRacer4 View Post
What is the difference between the V2 and the normal RTR? And I have heard bad about both, lol. But I'm not planning on bashing mine a ton, just plan on crawling a little and doing some creek and/or trail runs.
V1 had a poor radio system afaik

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone have a link for St. Erie?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #17
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the TH! It's an awsome little truck. I think your idea of running all stock to start with is is good one. You'll get a feel for the starting point and will really feel the benefit of the changes you make from there.
The recommendations for bell crank steering are spot on. The first time you get your truck properly muddied up, you'll probably start to notice the steering binding up. The Sr. Irie bell cranks look awsome, and good value too.
I'll also plug my own Scorched Parts setup available on Shapeways. This setup allows the shorty pack to be put into the chassis tray - super low down! The steering and suspension geometry of this system is also really well tuned to get the best from the TH.
Most of all, get out and enjoy the TH!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/K3...ionId=59911680
https://www.shapeways.com/product/B3...ionId=62746725
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote