Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: G-Made Diaphragm Shocks Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default G-Made Diaphragm Shocks Help

Right now I am running these shocks on my upright setup for my TH. I have the stock springs they sent me with the high pressure setup running 27.5W shock oil. My shocks right now are super stiff. I haven't yet but am going to try switch it to the low pressure setup with the 27.5W oil. If for some reason they are still stiff, any ideas how to make them softer? I was thinking of starting with getting lighter oil. I also have a set of 80mm King shocks, so I may end up taking off my G-Mades and just run those instead if I can't dial in the G's.

Has anyone else had problems like this. Also if you have these shocks what is your current setup.
VTHDAN4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: G-Made Diaphragm Shocks Help

Just to make sure we are on the same page here. You are trying to soften them up for landing jumps and not for better flex right? RC might be a little different, but in the 1:1 world, flex is dependent on spring rate and dampening landings is dependent on oil weight (or valving adjustments).
BradyT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Just to make sure we are on the same page here. You are trying to soften them up for landing jumps and not for better flex right? RC might be a little different, but in the 1:1 world, flex is dependent on spring rate and dampening landings is dependent on oil weight (or valving adjustments).
Well I kind of want a little of both. I was thinking of going somewhere in the teens for shock oil. But running a lighter spring may be what i need. I mainly do a lot of canyon trails and then some open dirt area bashing around. But I would like them to soften up so they have some better flex. The rear right now is butter, but my front is so stiff that if I wanted to crawl it I think the front wont compress how I would want it to due to the fact of it being so stiff. Don't really do much jumping other than a small local track by my house. BradyT88, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For general RC running, if you want lighter springs, you go heavier on the oil, or smaller on the piston.
The travel is fairly short on the front of the twin, (suspension design) so optimizing shock/spring tuning is critical.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHDAN4467 View Post
Well I kind of want a little of both. I was thinking of going somewhere in the teens for shock oil. But running a lighter spring may be what i need. I mainly do a lot of canyon trails and then some open dirt area bashing around. But I would like them to soften up so they have some better flex. The rear right now is butter, but my front is so stiff that if I wanted to crawl it I think the front wont compress how I would want it to due to the fact of it being so stiff. Don't really do much jumping other than a small local track by my house. BradyT88, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Before you crack your shocks open again, I would try softer springs. G-made has 3 rates. Soft, medium and hard. Another guy, CaOffroader, just got the soft springs for his GMade but hasn't tested them out yet. You may watch his build and see what he finds out in the next few days.
BradyT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Before you crack your shocks open again, I would try softer springs. G-made has 3 rates. Soft, medium and hard. Another guy, CaOffroader, just got the soft springs for his GMade but hasn't tested them out yet. You may watch his build and see what he finds out in the next few days.
When I was emailing G-Made I believe they said that they send the medium rate ones with the kit. I want to dial these shocks in opposed to buying totally new ones. I think it will just be a matter of trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
For general RC running, if you want lighter springs, you go heavier on the oil, or smaller on the piston.
The travel is fairly short on the front of the twin, (suspension design) so optimizing shock/spring tuning is critical.
Yeah once I get the front dialed in it will be perfect. Just a matter of working out the kinks.

G-Made Diaphragm Shocks Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Made Piggyback shocks vs. RC4WD King shocks crwlnCreeper Axial Wraith 33 01-20-2016 10:48 AM
G-made shocks which to buy: Aeration, or Diaphragm? MeanTT Vaterra Twin Hammers 7 03-26-2014 11:25 AM
Gmade diaphragm shocks? Beej Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 03-20-2014 12:25 PM
Gmade diaphragm shock ? Manfjourde General Crawlers 4 06-04-2013 02:11 PM
XD Diaphragm Shock Unfadingpyro Axial SCX-10 6 03-17-2013 11:42 PM