Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Need some help with torque twist and shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need some help with torque twist and shocks

Recently I got an used Twin Hammers. The car is nice but there are couple of things that I am not sure are a problem or just normal operation.

1. When I press the back of the car, the shocks will return it to the original position. The front unfortunately does not do it. The car drops and never really comes back up. I am not sure if I should be taking the shocks apart or if that's how the rig works with the front shocks being in the stock position.

2. When I accelerate the TH (WOT), one of the front wheels lifts up and the car drives on only three wheels. I guess it is a torque twist. Any remedies for that?
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Need some help with torque twist and shocks

Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert on this and what I'm posting is based on what i've read online so take it with a grain of salt until others chime in who likely have more knowledge. ;~)

1) I wonder if your front springs are not working, or if your shock or suspension parts might be too tight resulting in binding in the movement?

2) For torque twist you can upgrade the rear end by adding the GCM truss that's supposed to change the suspension geometry which can help remedy that. I did this and it worked until I upgraded to a more powerful motor.

You can also add anti-sway bars which may help with that.

Others have used a thicker viscosity shock oil or even a stronger spring on the side that compresses to slow down the compression but this could/will affect overall handling.
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If your front diff is not locked you can add heavier diff fluid, and I would take the shocks apart to inspect them and change your fluid.
joe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the rear sway bar but I have the large battery mod which requires some additional hardware to install. I may actually go for that though as it should help with the rollovers as well.

As to the GCM truss, wouldn't that lift the rear even more up? That may not be desirable since the large battery tray plus a standard size Lipo hardpack already put the COG pretty high. Plus the GCM truss is expensive. I know that RC hobby is not cheap but $30 for a small piece of aluminum? :-)
drabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The truss raises the rear-most mounting position of the upper links only which from what I understand is better mount point for combating torque twist.

Yeah I have the large batt tray upgrade from AMF. Adds weight up high in back although it's lower & further forward than the stock mounting spot it replaced.

With a standard Castle Creations 4600kv motor & SW3 ESC I can do easily wheelies if I was good enough with the throttle control. I still need to tune the motor though for less power at launch to help me keep the front end down. I will report back once I do that.

If that works it may be an alternative to using the Sway Bars should you want to go that way.
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote

Need some help with torque twist and shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do About the torque twist? m1009cucv Vaterra Ascender 4 12-26-2014 10:01 PM
Torque Twist? Mini Mangler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-25-2011 06:04 PM
torque twist shameless Newbie General 2 03-04-2010 02:29 PM
torque twist chessmaster Newbie General 5 06-05-2009 03:04 PM
no torque twist terrongregg Newbie General 18 01-19-2008 12:37 AM