Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Front Mounted Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Front Mounted Battery

If anyone reading this has seen my build you know that I am running the GCM tower and IRIE steering. One thing I noticed was the added weight up front after installing the plate. I am still running my battery in the back. I would like to hear from anyone who has their battery mounted up front and what is your take on it. Do you like or dislike it up front? Thinking about giving it a shot on my next trail run.
VTHDAN4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Front Mounted Battery

I'm kinda curious of the same, but hoping to hear a little input from the U4 crowd. My car is headed to UC Fab for tube work in a few weeks, and the rear mounted battery is really complicating choices in chassis design. Will I really lose that much performance by moving the battery up front if I offset it with a little more weight out back? At this point I'm considering having a spare mount added (down low), I'm going to a UC Fab sway bar at the very rear of the chassis, and I may have a fuel cell added in the rear to mount a BEC and my RX in. I suppose I could always play with some ballast (lead) in the spare and some stick-on weights in the bottom of the tub to adjust bias/balance from there. Either way, I got a LOOONG way to go to get to the 7lb 1.9 trophy minimum. That's a lot of room to add weight where it will benefit me most.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #3
5th D Owner/Driver

The balance of the stock set up is really good for U4 racing, if your trail/scale type stuff then a battery up front could be a better set up. A mid mount or the stock type rear mount is what I would suggest for racing.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the same GCM tower and IRIE steering.

Like cboggs said
For U-4 racing the batt. up front not so good made the truck way to nose heavy . So much so off of jumps it almost tears the nose off when landing.

But it does do really nice end-do's
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

That was the first thing I thought of was there being to much weight of front. I don't race so thats not a problem. Just some light jumping but most of my driving is done in canyons in trails. I think on my next run out I will try it with the battery up front and see what its like.

I was always thinking like you mentioned @89red was sticking a fuel cell in the back and then adding some weight in there or some sticky weights.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Lol, I alnost feel like a n00b asking questions about battery placement and bias. Sadly though, that's one of the few areas of my car that I haven't played with much. I'll plan on leaving it out back though, and especially now that I'll be going to larger 3s packs.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ha I don't think you need to be worried about feelin like a noob, when I am the one who started the thread . Are you planning on racing your TH once you get it back. I've always thought it would be cool to race but never looked in to. I am sure there are places by me that hold races. I am out of San Diego, CA but not sure if the R/C scene is big down here. There's a spot that gets real busy on the weekends but it's just jumps. I am more the crawling trail's type of guy.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Well, I'd love to say I'll be racing it. Sadly though, it will probably only see a few "real" events each year. There isn't much of a race scene here, and the closest track is about 3 hours away in either direction. I do have plans to hold some informal races here on my yard track, but it's too small to really call a KOH or U4 track. It works out like a short course rock race track. But, I want the car to be both competitive AND legal if/when I do decide to find a race. To add to that, I don't use my car for crawling really. It's almost all high speed rock/trail work. Backpacking trails, BMX/MTB trails and jumps, cinder pits, and stuff like that.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I haven't found much of strictly crawling trail around my area but I am sure there are plenty around here. I have the recommended upgraded motor from horizon. So my TH is faster than stock. I prefer open trails with hill climbs and light crawling. I also go to the desert quite often so running it out there in some open terrain is always fun. My plan is to build an SCX10 but thats once I am entirely done building my Th.

Front Mounted Battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Center mounted gearbox vs. Front mounted on the chassis.. Need info maxxis77 Newbie General 5 06-05-2013 03:11 PM
XR10 batteries, front mounted on rowdy racing enclosed battery mount, what mAh Mysterious Axial XR10 5 02-16-2013 07:35 PM
Front mounted battery for short wheelbase kit? CentralCoaster Axial SCX-10 9 06-26-2010 08:00 PM
Hand Bros Frame mount steering and front mounted battery issue... crawler_king Axial SCX-10 9 07-14-2009 10:24 AM
Front mounted Battery Plate BLT24B Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 07-06-2009 09:13 PM