RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vaterra Twin Hammers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/)
-   -   VTH Electronics/Upgrades? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/556557-vth-electronics-upgrades.html)

Weichert crawling 02-08-2016 09:46 PM

VTH Electronics/Upgrades?

I am looking at buying a Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit, and I really need some advice on what electronics to put in, and necessary upgrades.

I really want:

1. A good water proof sensored brushless esc motor combo system,

2 High speed bash-ability, but good crawling capabilities, (basically a great all around, any terrain truck),

3. Light bar,

4. As cheap as possible but not so cheap I am replacing parts,

5. A good paint scheme that is easy to do and will stand out.

Thanks a million "thumbsup"

Ca. Off Roader 02-08-2016 11:18 PM

Re: VTH Electronics/Upgrades?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weichert crawling (Post 5442410)
I am looking at buying a Vaterra Twin Hammers Kit, and I really need some advice on what electronics to put in, and necessary upgrades.

I really want:

1. A good brushless system (unless there is a good reason to go brushed),

2 High speed bash-ability, but good crawling capabilities, (basically a great all around, any terrain truck),

Castle Sidewinder ESC & 4600kV brushless motor is a great inexpensive option.
Can tune it to make it crawl well enough. Lots and lost of power. Maxed out she will do a near full 360 flip from a deal standstill and 30+mph which is very fast for a vehicle like this. If you opt for this, I highly recommend a T-Bones bumper and upgrading both the camber and steering links to beefier ones like I did.

Quote:

3. Light bar,

Will be witching what's recommended here. I'm using the GCM Roof but have not installed any lights yet.

Quote:

You and me both...

Quote:

Luckily I haven't had to worry about this yet...
HTH
"thumbsup"

Di_Spencer 02-09-2016 07:45 AM

If you want good crawlability then you will definitely want a sensored Brushless motor and esc. Many like the Tekin Roc412 w/ a mmp. Also Holmes Hobbies has a good selection of sensored motors designed for crawling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sr.Irie 02-09-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

I really want:

1. A good brushless system (unless there is a good reason to go brushed),

3. Light bar,

Here is my first setup that worked well for me. I use mine just as you say, do all, go anywhere, all in one truggy. I know you are looking for budget things and if your going to be running your TH for a long time these are budget parts.

ESC
Mamba max Pro: Not the cheapest, but speed controls you buy a good one once. Also the better quality you buy the more control you have, smoother acceleration, braking so on. Ran for 2 years.

Motor
Trackstar SCT 5T 4150KV: In one word sensored, for slow speed control. This motor has worked good and is inexpensive for what it is, has worked well for 2 years now and still going.

Light bar
Vanquish Products: Not the cheapest again but you pay for quality and fit. I have been beating on my TH with this bar for almost 2 years with not one problem. Also the little brackets look scale and are a thing of beauty.

Paint
That is all you and your taste in what looks good,

I have only changed the speed control and not because any problems with it, it is now in another rig. I went to the Mamba Monster for the data logging and that it was factory waterproof.

Weichert crawling 02-14-2016 07:54 AM

Does anyone know a brushless esc that you can switch between having a drag brake and having a crawling style esc quickly for this so that when i go into crawl i can easily remove drag brake?