Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Suspension settings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Suspension settings

Hi guys. First post on here and I’d like to say what great forum you have

My post is about suspension settings. I did search and read lots of threads but couldn’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I also understand that everyone will have different preferences in regards to how their Hammer is set up, so I’m more looking for guidance as to whether I’m on the right track.

Some background - I just purchased a V2 RTR Hammer and intend using it for a bit of everything, as an all rounder, and have no preference to do crawling over trails. So far I’ve added 500K oil to the front diff, added the medium sway bar to the rear and light sway bar to the front. I’m in the process of making my own rear diff truss too to raise the trailing arms. The RTR Hammer doesn’t come with threaded / adjustable shock bodies so I’ve just switched out the stock shock bodies with threaded ones, kept the stock springs and added 45 weight oil to the front and rear shocks.

I noticed in stock form the front suspension was noticeably harder than the rear suspension, which seemed very soft and loose.

By adding the 45 weight oil it seems to have firmed up the rear and softened the front. But on the front now with the threaded shock bodies I don’t seem to have very much adjustment to compress the spring. I’ve wound down the front spring as much as I can, but they aren't as compressed as they were when I got the car as an RTR. By adding the threaded shock body I reckon I’ve lost adjustability, rather than gaining it - if that makes sense. The suspension now feels more 'even' between the front and rear compared to when I first got it, but there is noticeable droop when setting the car down, and picking it up. In the stock form when I pushed down on the front of the car it use to pop pretty well back up and have no droop. This is the same issue in the rear as well, although I still have heaps of adjustability left in the rear to compress the springs further to offset this (I'm guessing).

Sorry for the long post, but I guess what I’m asking is how should the suspension be set ideally? Should the suspension be set so it rebounds such that it has almost no droop, or should there be some amount of droop, like would occur in a real vehicle? The more droop though, the less clearance which leads me to think that if I wanted to firm / raise up the front now I’d need to look at fitting firmer springs in the front.

What are your thoughts? I hope I've made sense

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Last edited by Rotare; 02-09-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Suspension settings

Well welcome to RCC then.

I would say the 45wt is to thick for the front. I also would not run that thick in the rear but 45wt in the rear is not as big of a deal and can help with torque twist. The factory oil is somewhere around 30wt I would say. I run 25wt in my boys TH that still has stock cantilever setup, with the adjustable bodies as you have and it has less damping than it did stock. The front springs on the V1 RTR at least were entirely to stiff. I went to a hobby shop with the front spring and matched them to springs that were softer. I wish I could tell you what they were off of, but it was awhile ago when I first bought my TH and I can not recall. Although I have seen that now Vaterra has option spring part numbers for the TH.

Front ride height I say should be where the axles are flat or almost flat.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the site.

I have the kit version...

Stock oil is 32.5 wt.
A arms level, for racing and best overall performance.
The collars on my front shocks are completely topped out and the front is plush enough.
The rear has so much travel compared to the front its able to have very soft suspension and work very well.

It sounds like you are off to a good start on tuning your rig.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Awesome. Thanks for the response.

So stock oil shock oil is 32.5? The build kit manual for the Hammers (in the set up section) suggests 60 & 70 weight oil for the stock shocks front and rear. Hence why I thought 45 was a compromise

Thanks for the tip about the axles / A arms being in a flat position

Taking your advice on board I'll have a little bit of a play around as it is, then try some lighter oil.

Cheers.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had this same question when I first got mine, i put 45w in front and rear but I didn't fill them front ones up 100% so that they were still soft enough to form around rocks OK.

I think I am going to buy the soft springs and go from there.

I want a set of upright shocks but in Australia I'm looking at OVER $100 just for the mount not including shocks :(
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've been running 20 weight oil in 85mm GMade reservoir shocks limited to 80mm length using their softest springs with the OE shocks in back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ca. Off Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You can use an Axial Yeti front shock mount (not the xl). It will bolt right in and it is much cheaper than any other option

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

We're u able to modify your cage body to fit with that setup?
Lochrie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Not my setup. Best picture I could find for you. I don't know how it fits. I see in other pictures though that the shocks come up through the hood

Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I am most of the way through fitting a BlueMonkeyRC front suspension conversion with traxxas bellcrank steering. There is a serious lack of instructions. I think I've pretty much got it sorted now though. Just gotta finalise my front shocks. What is everyone using? Recommendation is 85mm.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

Where did u get the blue monkey mount I've been looking for one?
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
Not my setup. Best picture I could find for you. I don't know how it fits. I see in other pictures though that the shocks come up through the hood

I know its not yours etc, but any idea what shock length they are running?
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochrie2 View Post
Where did u get the blue monkey mount I've been looking for one?
Guy I bought the THs off already had it new in the packet. It was on the BlueMonkeyRC website until 2 weeks ago. I have been told the gcm one is better and erie products mskes a nice bellcrank setup for it.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #14

The GCM one is really nice and so is iries bellcrank. But I really like the look and price of the Blue Monkey. I think the gmade 85mm piggyback shocks r the way to go great price, performance and look!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

85mm

Suspension settings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what settings for the BR-XL? new with this champ198 Electronics 1 06-22-2013 04:07 PM
FX-R settings Hojo Electronics 3 05-16-2012 03:47 PM
FXR settings??? mr lee Axial SCX-10 9 03-22-2012 01:10 PM
rustler suspension arms versus bandit suspension arms... STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Non Crawler RC's 5 08-30-2010 12:05 PM
MM Settings CreamLad Electronics 2 05-01-2008 01:34 PM