Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Herbie the "THUG BUG" Baja style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Herbie the "THUG BUG" Baja style

Bummer. I want to run those. Wonder if there is a longer dogbone that would work...
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

I don't think modding something to do what you want would be that hard. I have seen on here some where about a associated shaft being longer but I don't think it is that much longer.
I think 89redranger talks a little bit about it in his Hammer build.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #63
RCC Addict

The Associated shafts are only a couple mm longer than stock. Traxxas XO-1 shafts could be made to work very easily though. You would have to either swap in the Slash 4x4/XO-1 side gears (not my favorite choice due to differences in the pressure angles and sizes of the side gears' teeth), or machine a new stub shaft for the diff that accepts a 5mm driveshaft while retaining our side gears (the correct way). This should allow all the travel and extra track width Codyboy is running, but without the cutting and welding involved with MIPs.

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-31-2016 at 10:50 AM.
89redranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
The Associated shafts are only a couple mm longer than stock. Traxxas XO-1 shafts could be made to work very easily though. You would have to either swap in the Slash 4x4/XO-1 side gears (not my favorite choice due to differences in the pressure angles and sizes of the side gears' teeth), or machine a new stub shaft for the diff that accepts a 5mm driveshaft while retaining our side gears (the correct way). This should allow all the travel and extra track width Codyboy is running, but without the cutting and welding involved with MIPs.
But just as much work having to machine a new cup?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Cup? No cup needed. The shafts have a 5mm hole in the end similar to a drive shaft. A piece of 1/4" stock could easily be turned down into a stub shaft.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Cup? No cup needed. The shafts have a 5mm hole in the end similar to a drive shaft. A piece of 1/4" stock could easily be turned down into a stub shaft.
sorry misread that. Is there a thread on this?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Not that I'm aware of. Just a few guys on the TH groups on Facetubes have tried it. Both I have seen have used the earlier Associated arms and the Slash/XO-1 side gears. Have a look at both a TH side gear and a Slash side gear though and you ought to be able to see why I can't call the side gear swap portion "proper."

Traxxas XO-1/Slash Side gears and spiders-

VTH Side gears and spiders-

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-31-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Use hpi rs4/wheeling diff gears and use the smaller diameter side gears on twin hammers cross shafts. Only problem I'm working on is the o rings for the slash side gears as the shaft is thicker and how to retain the cross shaft in the cvd joint as the xo style shaft is slightly larger and doesn't allow for a set screw to hold the shaft in. I'm thinking of opening up the twin hammers cvd half shaft and using the slightly larger xo pin with the twin hammers retaining spring on the cvd to hold it in. I will say you will have to use the associated b series arms or shorten the xo shaft to run the factory twin set up. By the way does anyone know where to get more retaining spring from for the cvds?
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #69
RCC Addict

A custom stub shaft would eliminate almost all the mismatched parts in your case. At the outer end you'll still have the same issue with the larger pin, but that could be remedied with a little drilling in the stock TH outer stub shaft/CVD cup. I'm almost positive that the spring style retainer will hold the larger 2mm pin in on it's own, but it may eventually wear through the ring or push it's way out between the rings. If you're dead set on finding the little barrel piece with a set screw to hold the pin in you may want to look at an MIP rebuild kit. I believe the parts are similarly sized, and a rebuild kit is fairly cheap.

I don't necessarily "need" or want more track width or travel from my current car, but this makes me want to go buy some parts and try to knock down an "almost bolt-in" solution. Sorry to clutter your thread CODYBOY, but this info may come in handy for yourself at some point.

Does anybody have a set of X0-1 shafts AND MIPs laying around? Start comparing parts...we need a CVD barrel that utilizes a set screw to hold the pin in while fitting into the outer "ball" of the XO-1 CVD. After that, a little drilling is nothing.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I feel like the extra width would really help and allow me to go narrower on my slw hubs. If I had the means I would probably go the mip route. Surprised nobody makes something already.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A custom stub shaft would eliminate almost all the mismatched parts in your case. At the outer end you'll still have the same issue with the larger pin, but that could be remedied with a little drilling in the stock TH outer stub shaft/CVD cup. I'm almost positive that the spring style retainer will hold the larger 2mm pin in on it's own, but it may eventually wear through the ring or push it's way out between the rings. If you're dead set on finding the little barrel piece with a set screw to hold the pin in you may want to look at an MIP rebuild kit. I believe the parts are similarly sized, and a rebuild kit is fairly cheap.

I don't necessarily "need" or want more track width or travel from my current car, but this makes me want to go buy some parts and try to knock down an "almost bolt-in" solution. Sorry to clutter your thread CODYBOY, but this info may come in handy for yourself at some point.

Does anybody have a set of X0-1 shafts AND MIPs laying around? Start comparing parts...we need a CVD barrel that utilizes a set screw to hold the pin in while fitting into the outer "ball" of the XO-1 CVD. After that, a little drilling is nothing.
No worries Brian, that is why I'm doing this thread is to come up with innovative ways to improve our Hammers.
I would be willing to give this a shot if I knew for sure what to order to try it. Do you think RPP would have the parts? I would help you if it is something you would want to market.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-31-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
No worries Brian, that is why I'm doing this thread is to come up with innovative ways to improve our Hammers.
I would be willing to give this a shot if I knew for sure what to order to try it. Do you think RPP would have the parts? I would help you if it is something you would want to market.

I already have a CAD file done for a stub shaft that would allow just about any 5mm shaft at the diff. This would even eliminate a lot of work for guys wanting to use the MIPs. Other than that, there isn't much to market. If you want the CAD file for the stub shaft I can shoot it your way, and you can do with it as you please. Just know that whatever you cut the parts from has to either be through-hardened (machining will just remove the hardened outer "shell" on case hardened parts), or will have to be hardened post-machining.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I already have a CAD file done for a stub shaft that would allow just about any 5mm shaft at the diff. This would even eliminate a lot of work for guys wanting to use the MIPs. Other than that, there isn't much to market. If you want the CAD file for the stub shaft I can shoot it your way, and you can do with it as you please. Just know that whatever you cut the parts from has to either be through-hardened (machining will just remove the hardened outer "shell" on case hardened parts), or will have to be hardened post-machining.
Thanks for the offer Brian, but I am having a hard time rapping my pea brain around what you are engineering/designing. As far as making a machined part, I think I could get Kelly Lunsford to maybe do a small jobber part for me if it would be more than I could do on my lathe.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

Ill take it!! I will shoot you a PM sir I would like to have both as I love the potential of this truck but man driving it for 15 minutes and having to reinstall a dogbone or limiting the front end to stiff board status is unacceptable.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
Ill take it!! I will shoot you a PM sir I would like to have both as I love the potential of this truck but man driving it for 15 minutes and having to reinstall a dogbone or limiting the front end to stiff board status is unacceptable.
If you adjust the cantilever pushrod you can keep the axle in. You have to much droop.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Sir irie I love my droop but I've seen your video of yours and it works like a boss...kind of makes me sad I started modifications to mine
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Try the Associated axles then, there a bit longer.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Hey Sir Irie, I had a good time hanging out with you yesterday, you know your Hammer quite well. Still in amazement that you look at those rocks from across the river and never thought to cross the river to crawl on them. They are a crawlers hidden GEM in Oakridge. I found my problem with my scaler, it was the motor plate flexing when the motor torqued hard. I'm working on it now.
Ernie,

For some of you that have interest piqued, a few photos of the ROCK!

A few of my home "ROCK GARDEN" (anyone else used that term with your wife)?

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-04-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

It was fun and a real good spot. My only excuse I have for not seeing them is every time I am there I have had my 2 boys with me. Keeping an eye on them when we are down bye the river I guess. As I said I still feel like a dink for not noticing them.
Speaking of feeling like a dink. My GoPro was in the car the hole time we were there. With you not being able to run you could of filmed and we could of had some footage.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Sir Irie, I had a good time hanging out with you yesterday, you know your Hammer quite well. Still in amazement that you look at those rocks from across the river and never thought to cross the river to crawl on them. They are a crawlers hidden GEM in Oakridge. I found my problem with my scaler, it was the motor plate flexing when the motor torqued hard. I'm working on it now.
Ernie,

For some of you that have interest piqued, a few photos of the ROCK!

A few of my home "ROCK GARDEN" (anyone else used that term with your wife)?

For a second there I thought you finished the thug bug and didn't tell nobody.

I really like the "Rock Gardens". That would be nice to have right outside the house. I need to talk to the wife about sprucing up the yard.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Herbie the "THUG BUG" Baja style - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock BUG-E build... Aka the "lug bug". Rock solid 1.9 Scale Rigs 44 04-04-2017 10:45 PM
"Beetlejuice" Baja Bug Dextroyer Paint and Body 2 03-08-2016 08:58 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM