Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Always Upside down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #41
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Always Upside down

Great weekend out with my lad. Good test of the stage 1 modifications. Had a couple of runs, crawling in the local Japanese rock garden, and beach bashing.
Steering: massive improvement. The car reliably goes where you want, at least as well as i'd hope given my limited talent. Gave the servo a much better shot at getting lock on when in the rocks - all as people have already found with bell crank steering.
Stability / turn over: Good improvement. With the battery now right in the bottom of the tray i was able to almost keep up with the boomerang, actually sliding out some of the time, rather than turning over at every corner. I'd still like to improve it further.
Suspension: The g-made standard springing is a little firm i think. Next step will be soft springs up front (maybe at the cost of some stability?) and some 20wt oil in the rear.
Robustness of SLS parts: Pretty good. Survived everything we threw at it without issue, including my lads full throttle approach to rock crawling! Dissatisfied by this, i did some abusive 'drop testing' in the yard, dropping the car at different angles onto a concrete floor. By dropping inverted/nose first directly onto the suspension loop, i was finally able to break the cage. Now i know what to strengthen for mkii!

Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Looks great! Wish I could get that setup, but from what you guesstimated the price to be through shapeways, that'll never happen. Maybe I'll get my FDM printer doing nylon and give that a shot after coming up with a design. Heck..who am I kidding? I'll just drool over yours and dream instead haha

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
amorton94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #43
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton94 View Post
Looks great! Wish I could get that setup, but from what you guesstimated the price to be through shapeways, that'll never happen. Maybe I'll get my FDM printer doing nylon and give that a shot after coming up with a design. Heck..who am I kidding? I'll just drool over yours and dream instead haha

Thanks dude. Get on the case with the cad and FDM!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
Thanks dude. Get on the case with the cad and FDM!
The printer is still pretty new, working out kinks and upgrades. Need an enclosure as well to print nylon. Should probably get my hammers running first haha.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Cheers man... damn your ride has taken some abuse!
I would not say abuse, heavy or maybe hard use at most.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #46
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Just modelled and put an order in for an anti squat truss:

I'm really interested to try this. Hopefully another step in the right direction.

Last edited by Dbx; 04-19-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Nice.

The truss on the market is very expensive.. See how this one turns out :-)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited by Spunkybob; 04-20-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

I think Vaterra should by the plans or pay you royalty and offer this to all twin hammers owners as a upgrade along with longer front cvd's for a twin hammer version 3.0...just saying
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman13 View Post
I think Vaterra should by the plans or pay you royalty and offer this to all twin hammers owners as a upgrade along with longer front cvd's for a twin hammer version 3.0...just saying
They should send it out free to all current twin hammers owners who register for one as a way of saying "sorry"

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #50
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Some mass production would certainly keep costs reasonable all of the way down the line.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #51
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I like the way you think
No need for the longer cvd's though. This set up creates a solid down stop that stops the dog bone jumping out. This also meant i could go to correct zero degree setting of camber (previously tilted in a bit to keep the dog bone in), which improved my handling a lot.
My version 3 design should arrive in a couple of weeks, along with new battery tray, esc mount and... A tidy little manual gear shift. Tired of faulty shifting, and will let me use my stick tx. Never got the hang of the wheel thing.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #52
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
I like the way you think
No need for the longer cvd's though. This set up creates a solid down stop that stops the dog bone jumping out. This also meant i could go to correct zero degree setting of camber (previously tilted in a bit to keep the dog bone in), which improved my handling a lot.
My version 3 design should arrive in a couple of weeks, along with new battery tray, esc mount and... A tidy little manual gear shift. Tired of faulty shifting, and will let me use my stick tx. Never got the hang of the wheel thing.
Very cool project, thanks for sharing it.

...and the stick Tx comment is classic, you just dated yourself
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #53
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Bit more fun and abuse today. Check out the video'd jump.

http://vid1074.photobucket.com/album...pskklbmzja.mp4

She's holding up pretty well. The handling is another world to where it was as stock. I dropped in a savox sw0231mg servo. Not the most expensive or highest spec item, but this gave a nice step up on power and speed of steering from the etronix block i had before.

Last edited by Dbx; 05-07-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Automotive engineer, maybe; videographer, not so much. Lol. Looks good, would love to have that setup.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #55
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Automotive engineer, maybe; videographer, not so much. Lol. Looks good, would love to have that setup.

Ha ha... Its as good as my phone gets in my hands i'm afraid. We must have done over a dozen runs trying to get a clean landing, without success
Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #56
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

So, its been quiet for a while, but i have been busy. I've been playing with a cantilever suspension version of my steering mod, as below:

These come in way cheaper from shapeways, probably $65 inc bell cranks. Also, with it being tucked under the body, it is not vulnerable to crash damage. I'm thinking this design is getting close to unbreakable.
I'm getting the perfect geometry from the 80mm rc4wd 'King' scale shocks. It's limiting droop to the perfect spot to avoid shaft pop out, whilst giving the full range of travel. The stock king springing is a touch too soft, and they don't seem to believe in damping, so some thicker oil required too. Other than that, i have to say they are really lovely little units with great attention to detail.
The other option is gmade 75mm, which will also give the right geometry, albeit from a different top mount position.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Didn't I just see this on Facebook? Lol

Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #58
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Didn't I just see this on Facebook? Lol

No? That must be someone with a similar yellow car.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #59
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Fun times testing the cantilever setup today. Seems pretty tough. The battery holder was the one thing that let go after a hard roof landing.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qP0vmxk5EI
Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #60
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I think i have finally finished my re-working of the TH package!
I have finalised the steering and suspension, settling on semi-upright shocks (75mm gmade), with the bell crank setup now producing much reduced bump steer over stock geometry.
I've settled on a battery tray setup that securely fits a shorty pack and allows battery removal through the windscreen aperture.
Latest parts are a combined esc and receiver mount with a water resistant protection box for the receiver.
She's handling really so well now. My Axial Wraith is just not matching up to the hammers so far. The wraith is either slower, clumsier or most often so far, broken. The TH just takes everything we throw at it and keeps going.

Always Upside down - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upside down shocks? brilamb2 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 10-08-2009 02:08 PM
Upside down shocks ? SMUDGEBUG Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 12-05-2007 03:38 PM
upside down shocks? mysharona Newbie General 3 11-27-2007 03:43 PM
Upside down shocks pbfrk4life General Crawlers 9 04-17-2007 11:53 AM
Axles upside-down? smojoe Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 04-18-2006 06:22 PM